When the balloon goes up...WILL I FREEZE? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > When the balloon goes up...WILL I FREEZE?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

All you can do is train and hope your brain falls back on that training.
..Doubt yourself now when time moves in...well...Real time and that will be magnified when time starts go move really fast. It's best to get ideas if locking up out of your head.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #12

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
I can tell you from personal family experience ( I am not at liberty to be specific on that one ) that one trained and trained and trained to lead, when tested will lead and involve others to aid - it absolutely works and saves lives.
Bingo...

The best advice I could give anyone regarding personal defense is to get training in "Personel Defense."

We all enjoy punching tight shot groups with our favorite toys but there is miles of difference between "shooting" a gun and "fighting" with a gun.

Those of us who served had the benifit of force on force training, stress training, and one on one engagement training.

There is a reason Vets carry ourselves a bit different than Civilians, there is a reason that 22 year old Vets enter the workforce and quickly surpass no only their peers but many of their elders. Confidence born of training and the knowledge that if tested, they will react to a problem or a threat is the difference.

Does not mean you need to run down and enlist or apply for a Commision... I does mean that everyone benefits from training, particularly "controlled aggression" style training.

I know a lot of people who are very good with their .380 pocket gun... and if charged by a screaming lunatic most of them would shat their britches, catch a beating, and "hopefully" survive and maintain control o their gun.

Case in point... George Zimmerman

Tack

Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #13

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

I've never wondered this myself. Not because I'm sure which category I fall under, but because I just don't care.

I'm either dead or alive, no matter the case, so the specifics aren't of any consequence.

I say don't worry, just go with your gut in every situation and be honest with yourself about it. There's no shame in any reaction!

Old 06-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #14

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The reason I think about it is because my heart very much wants to be the type that immediately goes to the aid of my fellow man. I already do when I have my full faculties. I guess I am mostly thinking of what I might do when the adrenaline gets dumped into the veins.

There are many of you here that are very encouraging!

Something I REALLY want to get into more is competition. At least that is getting experience in decision-making and (sort of) threat assessment while being stressed at some level.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-20-2013, 04:18 AM   #15
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3165 Times on 2150 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris
The reason I think about it is because my heart very much wants to be the type that immediately goes to the aid of my fellow man. I already do when I have my full faculties. I guess I am mostly thinking of what I might do when the adrenaline gets dumped into the veins.

Something I REALLY want to get into more is competition. At least that is getting experience in decision-making and (sort of) threat assessment while being stressed at some level.
Just read an article on this in WESTERN Shooting Journal. How & why one man used Competition(pistol) as training....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #16

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The best advice I can give you about finding out if you will stay calm in an emergency situation, is to talk to your local fire and sheriffs departments. Most towns now days have some sort of volunteer medical/rescue response team. Your local fire department or law enforcement should know if there is one near you. I don't know what the requirements to join are in each state but in Minnesota it is usually a 110 hours of class room learning and then passing a state given written and skills demonstration test. I retired from ours after 15 years. I saw many new people who thought they knew
how they would react to an emergency situation learn new things about themselves. Some were right and handled it well, and the confidence they recieved from it extended into other parts of their lives. But some others did not handle the stress well and they left the group after a short time. I understand that how one reacts to the stress of an emergency situation does not translate exactly to how they will react to the stress of a self defense shooting, but it might give you some level of insight into how you would handle it.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #17

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post

Chris,

Check out Douglas Ridge Gun Club in Estacada. Before moving across the creek, I used to shoot NRA action pistol competitions up there. Have not been in many years but it's a great competition for "from the holster" training, employs tactical reloads, and really pushes your skill in speed and acuracy "while under stress".

If I remember correctly, you need about 150 rounds. A "major caliber" gun, 9 mm or bigger with minimum 6 round mag capacity, at least 2 back up mags, and a holster suitable for CCW. No red dot's, race guns, or quick competition holsters.

It's geared for helping CCW citizens improve there skills.

Used be held on the third Thursday of every month at 6:30 pm

Give em a call... and let me know... I may just find time to join you.

....also, when I was going, membership was not required and I believe it was 5 or 10 dollars to compete.

Tack

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 06-20-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2876 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

I made promises to myself to protect what is mine and my family's.

I have been to training. I have been exposed to some situations where training took over. And afterwards, I have also felt some regret for things I should have done that my training did not provide for.

Mindset, training, focus, and self-preservation are strong things.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 06-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #19

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Tack,

Sadly just USPSA events on Saturdays. I think I may need to get involved, though. I think just jumping in with my Glock 23 with factory sights and a simple Blackhawk paddle holster is about the best I could do.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2806 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 1631

Train, practice, have faith..........you'll be just fine!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.