Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   When the balloon goes up...WILL I FREEZE? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/when-balloon-goes-up-will-i-freeze-92530/)

CHLChris 06-19-2013 04:12 PM

When the balloon goes up...WILL I FREEZE?

I have heard that there are a few different types of people in a critical situation--when the balloon goes up. There are those who will run away when something bad happens, those who will run toward the chaos to help, and those who freeze.

I have really never been a part of anything traumatic so I guess I don't know which I'd be. My heart and brain desperately want to be the type who will run toward so I can help. But something happened that makes me wonder...

I run sound at my church. This is actually a HUGE church and the sound system is so large, it takes two people. I am the #2. During a rehearsal I was messing with something on the board and I caused a feedback loop, which caused the entire building to start squealing louder than you could imagine. Of course, everything and everyone stopped and looked at me with surprised looks. I froze during my adrenaline dump. My brain knew five or six things to do to make it stop, but the immediate stress made me freeze and I was unable to process what to do to stop the squeals. The #1 sound tech had to run over and fix it for me. I was jittery for two more hours, much like after a car wreck. I FROZE.

How do we know what sort of person we are until something actually happens? This wasn't life or death, but perhaps it opened a window into how I might actually behave in an active shooter or something more personal.

Any thoughts?

DrFootball 06-19-2013 04:24 PM

sure it does

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 1280799)
I have heard that there are a few different types of people in a critical situation--when the balloon goes up. There are those who will run away when something bad happens, those who will run toward the chaos to help, and those who freeze.

I have really never been a part of anything traumatic so I guess I don't know which I'd be. My heart and brain desperately want to be the type who will run toward so I can help. But something happened that makes me wonder...

I run sound at my church. This is actually a HUGE church and the sound system is so large, it takes two people. I am the #2. During a rehearsal I was messing with something on the board and I caused a feedback loop, which caused the entire building to start squealing louder than you could imagine. Of course, everything and everyone stopped and looked at me with surprised looks. I froze during my adrenaline dump. My brain knew five or six things to do to make it stop, but the immediate stress made me freeze and I was unable to process what to do to stop the squeals. The #1 sound tech had to run over and fix it for me. I was jittery for two more hours, much like after a car wreck. I FROZE.

How do we know what sort of person we are until something actually happens? This wasn't life or death, but perhaps it opened a window into how I might actually behave in an active shooter or something more personal.

Any thoughts?

It happens to even the most well trained. Been in a similar situation at least 3 times,..possibly 4. All you can do is move forward. Nice Piano BTW...But I keep my Guns & my Music Gear separated....More recently where I was living before we bought this house there was a series of Robberies and the complex manager didn't want to do anything About it(even though she lives there too!) so some of us had taken to be around in the evenings. Hope we scared a few robbers away!

hiwall 06-19-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

It happens to even the most well trained.
Fact.
And just because someone reacts one way once is no indication of how they will react the next time.

johnr1943 06-19-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 1280799)

Any thoughts?

I can tell you from personal family experience ( I am not at liberty to be specific on that one ) that one trained and trained and trained to lead, when tested will lead and involve others to aid - it absolutely works and saves lives.

In flying I was taught to "Plan flight, fly the plan".

Example, if I'm driving and have a blowout, I already have a general plan what to do. Another, we trained all three children WHAT to do in case of a house fire and WHERE to meet after exiting. We drilled it.

Another time, while driving home from school ( they were 15, 12, and 9) they were involved in a very serious car crash, the eldest took charge removed the shaken ones, called 911 and tended my wife (she ended up with 84 stitches, youngest with broken nose and finger) till help arrived.

My $.02 worth anyhow. :)

txpossum 06-19-2013 05:05 PM

I've often wondered the same thing. I don't think I'd freeze, but one never really knows.

The last time I was in a physical confrontation was about six or seven years ago, when for some reason a stranger (who, though a lot bigger and younger than me, was drunk) started mouthing me in, of all things, an elevator. The final straw was when said something about "four eyes" (I wear glasses) and reached for my head. The next thing I know I have him pinned against the elevator wall by his throat, saying "I'd suggest you shut the f*** up". I never remember moving, or even deciding to move. Then the elevator door opened, with a crowd waiting to get on, and there I am . . . oppps. I let go of the guy, and I and my two now stunned friends sorta slip away . . . .

11B3OJ3 06-19-2013 05:32 PM

There is a difference in the situations you're talking about. That being, in a nut shell, have you trained and trained and trained until it is muscle memory to fix the sound system feed back problem? My guess is probably not. Yes, some people are naturally more inclined to think quick on the fly and do great things. Is every leo or soldier one of these people? Absolutely not. That is where the repetitive training takes over and auto pilot kicks in. I am an infantryman. I have been on three combat deployments to iraq/afghanistan. I have seen people who I never in a million years thought would freeze do just that and I have seen the exact opposite. Even with the training. There is no real way to know until faced with a situation of that nature. There are ways to increase your chances of acting the way you would like to tho. For what its worth I see a life and death scenario and messing up the sound at a church rehearsal as apples and oranges. Just my 2 cents tho, hope it helps give you some insight.

eatmydust 06-19-2013 05:57 PM

My best advice to you is to train for SD situations and have faith!

You didn't know how to run the audio gear without training and practice & you didn't know how to lead others in prayer without training and practice!

Get training, practice & have faith.

HockaLouis 06-20-2013 12:25 AM

You have embraced this and learned from it. Relax.

As my liberal friend told you about his last I'll tell you about my first. I was leaving grammar school at lunch time and two older kids got in front of me and would not let me go. Dad had trained me at a very early age. I nailed one of the bigger kids in the solar plexus dropping him instantly into the street and the second kid got out of the way. And there in the street was my Mom in the car waiting to take me home for lunch who had seen it all. I think I was seven. She asked what happened and very calmly I explained. I thought nothing of it. She agreed it was right.

I'd probably be more worried about law suits today.

By the way, this older kid COMPLAINED that I beat him up and I was questioned when I went back to school after lunch...

HOSSFLY 06-20-2013 01:40 AM

I have always had a strong feeling that those who ask this question (even in they're head) WILL :(
I also often ask myself when anything like this it asked I ask how the fuk do we know :confused:

SSGSF 06-20-2013 02:51 AM

It is hard to say what one would in a stressful situation. Unless you know how to stay calm in stressful situation.