Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What's wrong with .40 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Not sure why it would be loosing popularity. It's a pretty good round. I'd like to get one.
but it is losing flavor. at a recent gun show with a friend, trying to sell/barter a 40....many said they just were not selling and said they would give him a better deal if it had been a 9. between that & what i see about the 40 on so many gun forums....it just isn't the sweetheart it once was.

and yeah...i'd take one. in fact, pretty soon you might start seeing great deals on 40's. guess the MASSIVE RECOIL is scaring people off?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #162
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17031 Times on 9845 Posts
Likes Given: 44270

Quote:
Shot placement is everything. A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a 44.
exactly! that is the exact point of my posts. shot placement trumps caliber everytime. try breaking into my home an the only loaded pistol is my Ruger Mark III 22/45 Target pistol. i will ruin a BG's day for sure with that pistol!

my criteria for a SD pistol is simple, my ability to shoot well with it and be accurate in shooting it and it be reliable. caliber, magazine capacity, type of ammo and many other things are really less important to me. i'll settle for a very reliable and dependable Hi-Point in 9mm, using FMJ ammo, that i could accurately hit with each and everytime i pulled the trigger over anything else.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #163
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6544 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Maybe its an American thing there was never any doubt of the effectiveness of the 9mm among most European countries. Very few that were on the receiving end of a 9mm round bad mouthed it. As for the .40 its not popular here if I wasn't happy with my 9mm then I would just use my .45.
Europe tends to standardize everything. Most of Europe has used 9mm for quite a while. Even if a new round was developed that absolutely outperformed the 9mm in every way, you'd probably still see the 9mm being used in Europe.

9mm is also a European round. 40 S&W and 45 ACP are American. That could have a bit to do with the difference in popularity.

It's also possible that the 9mm is used not for it's effectiveness, but because of it's price. 9mm is cheap.

America is not quite as standardized. There's a decent mix of 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and even .357 Sig for our police. CITIZENS on the other hand use just about everything.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 08-03-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #164

Quote:
Maybe its an American thing there was never any doubt of the effectiveness of the 9mm among most European countries. Very few that were on the receiving end of a 9mm round bad mouthed it. As for the .40 its not popular here if I wasn't happy with my 9mm then I would just use my .45.
i've always felt the 9 would do the job...but for awhile, it was not the flavor of the month (or last few years) in my neck of the woods. quite a bit of doubting its power. it seems to have reclaimed its throne lately though....

Last edited by hawkguy; 08-03-2013 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #165

Quote:
Europe tends to standardize everything. Most of Europe has used 9mm for quite a while. Even if a new round was developed that absolutely outperformed the 9mm in every way, you'd probably still see the 9mm being used in Europe.

9mm is also a European round. 40 S&W and 45 ACP are American. That could have a bit to do with the difference in popularity.

It's also possible that the 9mm is used not for it's effectiveness, but because of it's price. 9mm is cheap.

America is not quite as standardized. There's a decent mix of 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and even .357 Sig for our police. CITIZENS on the other hand use just about everything.
one thing the USA is normally not short of....VARIETY. especially when it comes to boomsticks!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #166
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1446 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
What evidence is there that the .40 is and has being more effective than the 9mm.
Well do you ever look at ballistics charts?
People Like This 
Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #167

Liked 258 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
It's also possible that the 9mm is used not for it's effectiveness, but because of it's price. 9mm is cheap
Price would be a factor among civilian shooters. But not police as they don't shoot very many rounds. Swat teams from America are In N Ireland now taking part in the Swat competitions as part of the police and fire games I wonder what calibre they are using.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #168
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6544 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Price would be a factor among civilian shooters. But not police as they don't shoot very many rounds. Swat teams from America are In N Ireland now taking part in the Swat competitions as part of the police and fire games I wonder what calibre they are using.
You think the police decide what they shoot? That's funny. They are told what they can shoot by the people actually paying for the ammo.

BTW, you seem to be avoiding those ballistics I posted earlier. Is there a reason for that?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Well do you ever look at ballistics charts?
i heard a rumor that they are easy to find. (hint hint....look in this thread)

Last edited by hawkguy; 08-03-2013 at 08:48 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #170
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17031 Times on 9845 Posts
Likes Given: 44270

Quote:
You think the police decide what they shoot? That's funny. They are told what they can shoot by the people actually paying for the ammo.

BTW, you seem to be avoiding those ballistics I posted earlier. Is there a reason for that?
looking at every LE agency across the United States, and a person would wonder how many different calibers are used. i wonder how often they change. probably most look at cost when choosing a firearm for department use. if they test ten different pistols, and all them perform as required, they tend to go with the one that's least expensive. sometimes they get discounts if they purchase a certain amount of firearms. sometimes the may even contract out their firearm and ammo needs to the lowest bidder that meets their specifications and requirements.

some of the really small or rural LE agencies that the officer buys and pays for his own firearm, may have less stringent requirements and allow personal choice in the firearm. but many times departments have guidelines that direct their officers in what they can or can't carry while on duty. it comes down to each individual department.