Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   What's wrong with .40 cal (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/whats-wrong-40-cal-94618/)

TankTop 07-29-2013 01:54 PM

What's wrong with .40 cal

Seems this round is getting bashed a lot. First off I'm still pretty new to firearms, but I feel the .40 is very comfortable to shoot. I did buy a Sig P226 in .40 and hated it so I traded for a Glock 23 and it's awesome. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or just don't have enough experience, but when I'm practicing I'm so focused on my front sight and sight picture I don't even notice the slide lock back sometimes. My thoughts are if it has too much recoil I would have to take a second and find my sight picture again, which I don't.

ScottA 07-29-2013 02:06 PM

There's nothing wrong with it at all. Some people are always looking for something to criticize, and since it is the youngest of the major calibers, it's going to get knocked. Kind of like teasing the new kid in the neighborhood until somebody else newer arrives.

At some point, another round will come along and begin making headway into the market. Perhaps the .44 auto or who knows what. At that point, all the criticism of the .40 crowd will be directed towards it. And the .40? It will be just another wise choice for self defense.

Olympus 07-29-2013 02:06 PM

I don't know that it gets "bashed" a lot, but there are many people that don't care for it. Myself included. I personally can't find any justification to own or shoot a .40. There is nothing that a .40 can do that a 10mm can't do better so I choose 10s over the 40. The recoil is sharp and snappy and unpleasant to me.

But everyone had their preference and opinion. If you like the 40, then who cares if other people don't.

Overkill0084 07-29-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TankTop (Post 1319023)
Seems this round is getting bashed a lot. First off I'm still pretty new to firearms, but I feel the .40 is very comfortable to shoot. I did buy a Sig P226 in .40 and hated it so I traded for a Glock 23 and it's awesome. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or just don't have enough experience, but when I'm practicing I'm so focused on my front sight and sight picture I don't even notice the slide lock back sometimes. My thoughts are if it has too much recoil I would have to take a second and find my sight picture again, which I don't.

Wrong? No, there's nothing actually wrong with the .40. I have 2 of them. Much of the debate centers around the question of whether it's actually needed or not, especially in light of how well 9 mm works with modern bullets. Then there is the watered down/neutered 10 mm argument. One can easily argue "why bother" if this was to be the end result.
As for actually shooting it, it has a reputation for being harsh. IMHO, this is a legitimate complaint, at least in some cases. In my XD40SC, it does have a bit of a "broken bat" feel to it. The recoil, while not horrible by any means, is tiresome after a while. However in my full sized 1911, it's a sweet shooting round. Platform matters. As a general statement, it's not really the quantity of the recoil as much as the harshness, if that makes any sense.
I will admit to being somewhat surprised by your hating the Sig and loving the Glock. I would have expected the full sized metal framed pistol to feel better than the compact polymer pistol.

TankTop 07-29-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084
Wrong? No, there's nothing actually wrong with the .40. I have 2 of them. Much of the debate centers around the question of whether it's actually needed or not, especially in light of how well 9 mm works with modern bullets. Then there is the watered down/neutered 10 mm argument. One can easily argue "why bother" if this was to be the end result.
As for actually shooting it, it has a reputation for being harsh. IMHO, this is a legitimate complaint, at least in some cases. In my XD40SC, it does have a bit of a "broken bat" feel to it. The recoil, while not horrible by any means, is tiresome after a while. However in my full sized 1911, it's a sweet shooting round. Platform matters. As a general statement, it's not really the quantity of the recoil as much as the harshness, if that makes any sense.
I will admit to being somewhat surprised by your hating the Sig and loving the Glock. I would have expected the full sized metal framed pistol to feel better than the compact polymer pistol.

That's precisely why I traded the Sig for the Glock (plus some cash), the Sig was snappy, so much I would loose my grip with my supporting hand. I think the spring was way too soft and the grip was wrong for me. The grip on the Glock is perfect for my hand, that and I'm 6'1" and 230lb, it just feels right. What I'm getting at is yes, in the wrong gun .40 is snappy, but in a gun that fits just right it's a pleasure.

JonM 07-29-2013 03:30 PM

Im one of those that see no point to it. Its not any huge advance over 9mm and falls short of the 45acp. Your getting more recoil for little to no gain over what a 9mm can do.

If you like it great. More power to ya.

308Wins 07-29-2013 03:32 PM

You need to focus on the rear sights, and you shouldn't have as much of a problem
.40 S&W actually stands for...
10mm, short and wimpy...

CHLChris 07-29-2013 03:47 PM

1) Some platforms make the 40 feel nasty. I don't like it in my Glock 23, but it is really soft-shooting IMO out of my Glock 35. I think a lot of people shoot one magazine of someone else's 40 and decide they hate it. But it just takes a little more firm grip and good gun to shoot it.

2) For competition, 40 is very popular because of its amazing versatility for the reloader. It is also the least expensive and highest capacity round that makes major power factor.

gunsmoke11 07-29-2013 04:36 PM

Many PD's are now switching over from the 9mm round to the .40S&W for a variety of reasons. One of which is that statistics show that the .40 is a better choice than the 9mm where stopping power is concerned. Also, the .40 allows for more ammo to be loaded, as compared to the .45acp.

As far as comfort when shooting the .40 is concerned I just can't see any problem. I know women who have no problem handling that caliber regardless of what gun it's fired from. Shooting my G27 is a pleasure for me and I carry it with confidence. I didn't buy it for bulls eye shooting, just want to be able to hit a man size target and stop him dead in his tracks if I should unfortunately be in that type of situation.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...ps14a79958.jpg

manta 07-29-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Many PD's are now switching over from the 9mm round to the .40S&W for a variety of reasons. One of which is that statistics show that the .40 is a better choice than the 9mm where stopping power is concerned.
Have you the statistics that show the .40 is a better choice where stopping power is concerned. ? I personally don't see the need for the calibre of you don't like 9mm buy a .45.