what's the right pistol?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > what's the right pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default what's the right pistol?

hey, This question is mainly for the women. I don't know how many are on here, but hopefully there are some. My mom has decided to get her ccw license, and she has put me in charge of finding her the right pistol. My mom isn't a very big women at all. I'm stumped as to what would be the right caliber, and gun for her. I was thinking Ruger lcp, but i don't really like .380, It's just to small of a caliber to me. I was just wondering if any of you might have any ideas of what would be good for her. I don't want to buy something that is too big and then have to start all over again. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Something simple like a revolver with no levers, push buttons, magazines, or other confusing stuff. A slide can be difficult to manipulate. Keep it point and shoot simple.

Chosse a size, weight, and caliber firearm she can shoot well and won't cause flinching or other recoil issues.

Maybe something in .327 Federal Magnum.

Last edited by 1911Jeeper; 07-03-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #3

Simple go to a range where she can try out a few different guns and the one she is most comfortable with let her get that. Or as i told my girlfriend when she got a gun get the largest caliber you can handle. She has a keltec p3at. It works for her.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My wife has a S&W model 60 .357 Magnum. It's loaded with .38spl. hollowpoints. It's small, relatively light, easy to point and handle and the recoil of the .38spl. is pretty mild. She loves it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Let her check out something like the Ruger LCR .38 revolver. It'll fire regular and +P 38s, is lightweight, simple to operate, will not snap on anything during the draw, and is comfortable to shoot with regular 38s.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 07-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

She is the only one who can decide if the gun is the right one for her or not. It has to feel right in her hand. She will be the one shooting it. The one that she likes may not be even on your radar, it may surprise you.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 07-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2893 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

Take her to the range and let her try as many as she can. I have a niece (who weighs about 90lbs soaking wet) who loves to shoot the 1911a1 in .45ACP. Training, technique, willingness to learn, and how comfortable she is with a firearm has to come into factoring what the best choice is for her. I don't tell my wife what shoes to wear.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have trained many women and men with limited experence with guns. Unless they are willing to put LOTS and LOTS of practice in, it has always been my belief that the double action revolver is the only safe choice. As stated above just point and shoot, period. Easy to check to see if its loaded. Easy to load and unload. Not ammo finiky. A 2" or 3" barreled 38 special is about as big as the average person can shoot accurately without extensive practice. I was at a bowling pin shoot just last week and with very experenced shooters and quality firearms. I saw so many gun malfuction with semi autos ( my Colt 1911 as well) that it reaffirmed my belief in revolvers. Most shooting incident happen so rapidly that there is no time to look for safety levers and buttons. While I was guiding big game hunter I saw yearly many hunters forget to take the safety off when presented with a shot at at animal. I can just imagine what would happen if in a life threatening situation.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The worse thing I ever did was pick a gun for a woman, I thought I knew exactly what she needed. After several frustrating trips to the range she surprised me by taking a defensive shooting course and picked a totaly different pistol, got her CC and all was right in the world.

Hook Mom up with an instructor and some classes, they are far more objective than you can be. Afer she learns the basic she will be able to tell you what pistol is best for her. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #10

I must echo the statements of others, let her try as meany as possible and let her decide. After all it will be her pistol, so let her go with what she feels comfortable.