what's better a beretta tomcat or kel tec p32? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > what's better a beretta tomcat or kel tec p32?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
I don't know about the Baretta, but Keltec owners tell me that the .32 will "rimlock" with hollow points. There are spacers you can get or make which go in the back of the mag to hold the HPs forward & prevent rimlock. But, must be removed to allow loading FMJ. Other wise, either all FMJ for defense, or chamber a HP with one other HP on top, then the rest FMJ.
Man I got lucky I guess. I haven't had any issues with HPs. Was it out of the box issues or later on?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #12

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I guess you are one of the lucky ones. From what you say, it's obvious that not all Keltec .32 owners experience it, I guess just the ones I have talked to. But, since just getting my first .32, a Bersa, I can see how it could happen. The .32 Auto round has a very slight rim on it which can hang up in the groove of the round under it & the HP rounds, being shorter, can possibly move forward & create the problem. I suppose that if the slide goes forward with enough force, it could force the top round out of rimlock.

I have noticed when manually unloading the mag of my Bersa .32, even though it's not had a misfeed in 150 rounds, I can't push them out with my thumb. It'll just barely start forward, then the rim will hit that groove in the round below it & hang there. I have to use a small screw driver to wedge it out & must do so for the first 4-5 rounds. Once there is not as much pressure from the mag spring, I can push them out by hand.

Anyway, I didn't get the .32 fo SD, so will not be shooting any HPs in it.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #13

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I used the info off the KTOG website to mod two mags for my nieces P32 and it worked out very well.While doing the work I got curious as to the why of the problem.
To investigate I pulled out some old C&R 32,s to inspect the magazines for a good look/see;(IMPO)the following factors may have a rather dramatic effect on the function of the mags with regards to the rim/lock problem.

1) Almost all the mags had two things in commona) A much tighter front to rear or rim to nose fit than the Kel Tec mags.(b)Most had a sort of floating follower much like a 1911 magazine that causes the round to tip up sharply at the nose and retards the ability of the rims to over ride the rim on the cartridge below it.

2) I had noticed already that some reproduction mags for my older guns had feed problems and in almost every case the maker had gone to a molded plastic follower,or a metal follower that couldn't flex up at the front.(a)On some I reshaped or bent the followers and bent the front of the springs at a sharper angle and BINGO!! problems solved.(b)On two others I also used the KelTec spring wire mod and it works great so far.

3)Another curious problem was why some hollow points worked so much better than others.After the lights came on upstairs I broke out the calipers and started to measure OAL. of all the cartridges and here's what I found;(IMOPO)(a)The closer to correct OAL the less likely to rim lock both FMJ and HP.(b)Some of the best and most aggressive HP designs had the poorest OAL.(example:GoldDot,CorBon,HydraShok)(b)The bullets with more rounded contours seemed to have a closer OAL by design and seemed to feed smoother in the older guns.(c)The premium winners seemed to be some of the older classic designs like Winchester,Remington and the surprise rounds were Hornady/Fiocchi with the XTP bullet profile;PPU and Aguilla also worked very well....Absent a manufacturer who creates a round like CorBons Power Ball or Hornadys critical defense with the correct OAL;the 32 acp seems like a spooky choice for self defense with anything but FMJ or a gun that has been fine tuned for one specific round for carry.

The up side is that Fiocchi/XTP's feed so well in some of my old 32's that a re-gripped 1903 Colt just might be my new barbeque gun.

Ride hard,shoot straight and don't get barbeque sauce or gun oil on your favorite vintage t-shirt.....(Poppa Grinch)

Old 07-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Glad I found this thread. I've been considering these 2 as well. I finally got a chance to hold the KelTec and truthfully it all ended there. I feels like a toy. I have an 84FS, so I am familiar with the Beretta and in the 20+ years I've had it I have never had one single problem. I have held a bobcat and it just feels more solid by comparison to the KelTec. I have yet to find a Tomcat in my area that I can hold.

I have heard of issues with the frame cracking near the slide/trigger area, but from what I have read, they addressed the issue with the "Wide Slide" (Sounds like a Harley Dyna, no?), so they beefed it up a bit.

I think I'll be going for the Tomcat in .32. I will be happy to post a review on it once it's in hand.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #15

Liked 246 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Beretta.........so you can learn how much better other companies' customer service is.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5752 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

You don't compare a Beretta to a Kel-tek.

That would be like trying to compare a neurosurgeon to a tribal witch doctor.

Winston Churchill
RNstanger Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 206 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well heck---guess I'll have to swim against the current.

I've had both.

Tomcat---no extractor, if you have a misfire you are screwed.
Only had one in 500 rounds or so, but it took a pocket knife
to get it out.
EXTREMELY short distance to trigger after the first shot. Felt
really awkward.
For no more than it holds, it's a fat and not so light little gun.

Sold it.

Kel-Tec P32--bought an early one, maybe 10 years ago?
Over 1200 rds of FMJ, and maybe 200 of my 32 ammo of
choice, Winchester Silvertip HP's. Absolutely zero problems
or malfunctions. Flat, light, easy to shoot. I replaced it
with a LCP a couple of years ago because my wife got ahold
of it and now it is HER GUN.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #18

Likes Given: 1

I was in the same predicament last year and decided to grab a P32, that is until I held one and compared it to a Tomcat in the same case. The superior quality and uniqueness of the Beretta resulted in it coming home with me.

i was concerned about the extractor-less design, however it is overcome by learning a new manual of arms. In the case of a misfire you can press the barrel release allowing the sharp tilting action to flick the cartridge out of the chamber (elevate muzzle to allow gravity to assist also). Then use your support hand to slap the barrel back down and rack the slide to feed a new cartridge.

I've only had to try this in practice as my Tomcat has performed flawlessly. My only gripe is the slide doesn't lock back on the last shot like the Kel-Tec.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I don't see the slide not locking back as an issue bc I always rack the slide on a reload, I never use the slide catch. Now I'm debating whether to hold off and save a few more bucks and buy a 1911 instead of the Tomcat.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 09-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #20

Likes Given: 1

A 1911 is a must have, go for it.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.