Whats the best way to learn to shoot with your off hand? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Whats the best way to learn to shoot with your off hand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Gollygee, that starting closer to the target makes a lot of sense. I usually shoot at about 13 yards. That distance chose me, not the other way around. I shoot in my pasture where there is a ditch with a hill behind it for a backstop. The target it that distance from the pasture road. Since I reload, I collect the brass after each shoot and it's easier to find on the road. Lazy, I guess. I'll try moving closer and spend more time looking for the brass.

Dave

Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

One FTF member said people usually shoot at longer distances then they should only to become disappointed. True. If you can't keep them all in a pie plate, move the Tgt closer.

The cheapest practice I know of is snap caps & TV. The next step is a good .22 pistol n lots of mags. Develope good to excellent Index and one of the hardest skills to learn is calling your shots. Army marksmanship unit has a great YouTube video on how to do this.

Shooting skills are perishable, practice, practice, practice. Learn new drills to keep it fresh. 8" paper plates are cheap tgts. Set up one plate w 3"X5" card about 7-10" above it. I set up three of these in a row.

Put two rounds in the plate and one in the 3X5 card then transition to the next Tgt. Numerous drills will keep your skills sharp & keep practice fun n stress free. (as it was intended to be.)

Last edited by Gonzilla; 09-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #13

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray64 View Post
Gollygee, that starting closer to the target makes a lot of sense. I usually shoot at about 13 yards. That distance chose me, not the other way around. I shoot in my pasture where there is a ditch with a hill behind it for a backstop. The target it that distance from the pasture road. Since I reload, I collect the brass after each shoot and it's easier to find on the road. Lazy, I guess. I'll try moving closer and spend more time looking for the brass.

Dave

What about laying down a tarp to catch the brass? The ranges I practice at are determined by the wires across our range, from which we hang our targets. They are at 3, 7 & 15 yards. I use the 3 yard one for up close 'point & shoot', the 7 yard one for both point & shoot and with sights. Only about 10% of my time is spent on the 15 yard.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #14

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

One of the most important things I've found shooting one handed is you need a solid grip. I grip as deep in the backstrap as humanly possible, pull my body and arms in tight, grip my shirt/vest with my offhand, slightly cant my pistol, then front sight front sight front sight. Trigger control, trigger control, trigger control.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
I've been shooting quite a while and have generally practiced with two hands. Lately, I've been practicing with one hand and doing pretty well with all my handguns. My left hand, though, (off hand) is just not accurate. I might hit a paper plate with a lot of time and concentration. What's the best way to build off hand accuracy? Thanks.

Dave
In addition to what has been said. It helps to strengthen your left arm and hand. Weak hand is not a misnomer. Plenty of exercise equipt. for this. I hate to ask but are you using your left eye. Sorry!

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 09-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
In addition to what has been said. It helps to strengthen your left arm and hand. Weak hand is not a misnomer. Plenty of exercise equipt. for this. I hate to ask but are you using your left eye. Sorry!
Not a bad question. I seem to be angling my arm/wrist so that I can still sight with my right/primary eye.

Dave

Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Not a bad question. I seem to be angling my arm/wrist so that I can still sight with my right/primary eye.

Dave
What stance are you using? Bullseye, isosoles, or Weaver? Weaver and bullseye you change eyes when you change hands and position. Until you get more comfortable there is no sin using strong hand support.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
What stance are you using? Bullseye, isosoles, or Weaver? Weaver and bullseye you change eyes when you change hands and position. Until you get more comfortable there is no sin using strong hand support.
I use the isosoles stance for two handed shooting and face forward and/or turning partially to the target for one handed shooting. Is there an advantage to using your left eye for left handed shooting? I have never tried that.

Dave

Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
I've been shooting quite a while and have generally practiced with two hands. Lately, I've been practicing with one hand and doing pretty well with all my handguns. My left hand, though, (off hand) is just not accurate. I might hit a paper plate with a lot of time and concentration. What's the best way to build off hand accuracy? Thanks.

Dave
Start with a barricade rest position to build hand strength. Since you shoot in your pasture get a pair of post hole diggers and sink a vertical 4x4 to use as the barricade. Place the palm of your strong hand against the rest and support your weak hand with the thumb of your strong hand.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I use the isosoles stance for two handed shooting and face forward and/or turning partially to the target for one handed shooting. Is there an advantage to using your left eye for left handed shooting? I have never tried that.

Dave
I use isosoles for those whose dominant eye is oposite their strong hand, so you can use your right eye as you are facing the target. If your body is at an angle or sideways, or at a weak side barricade you need to use your left eye. At the barricade you would have to put a lot more of your head out as a target using the right eye.