Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Whats the best way to learn to shoot with your off hand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Whats the best way to learn to shoot with your off hand?

I've been shooting quite a while and have generally practiced with two hands. Lately, I've been practicing with one hand and doing pretty well with all my handguns. My left hand, though, (off hand) is just not accurate. I might hit a paper plate with a lot of time and concentration. What's the best way to build off hand accuracy? Thanks.

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Honestly and I'm not trying to be sarcastic, you just have to practice. I actually shoot better right handed (I'm a lefty) but I can't draw with my right hand worth a crap to carry that way.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I sort of figured that, myself, but no matter how many caps I bust, trying for trigger control and the rest, I miss that darn target, wasting ammo. That's why I was asking. I reload, but even that cost has gone up, so I have to watch the budget. When I started shooting a handgun a few years ago, I couldn't hit crap one handed, but got good two handed. Now all of a sudden, I can shoot great with my right (primary) hand. I want to improve my left hand. Thanks for the response.

Dave

Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray64 View Post
I sort of figured that, myself, but no matter how many caps I bust, trying for trigger control and the rest, I miss that darn target, wasting ammo. That's why I was asking. I reload, but even that cost has gone up, so I have to watch the budget. When I started shooting a handgun a few years ago, I couldn't hit crap one handed, but got good two handed. Now all of a sudden, I can shoot great with my right (primary) hand. I want to improve my left hand. Thanks for the response.

Dave
For trigger control, snap caps while you're watching tv. I meant to add, don't forget shooting lefty means corrections are backwards http://www.gunlink.info/targets/PistolChartL1S.pdf

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 09-11-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks again, I'll try that.

Dave

Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #6

Liked 1869 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 988

The same way you get to Carnegie Hall.
Practice, practice, practice.

Seriously, it is the only way. Now days I don't wory about too much about target shooting, I practice on stuff like cans and milk jugs. Both aiming and offhand shooting.
I've gotten pretty proficient at hitting small objects on the move with my dominant hand out to 15+ yards, less so with my other. But I'm still working on it.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #7

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Rent a porsche, buy a rolex, tie your "on" hand tovthe steeringwheel, drive down to your local projects and wait. No better way to learn than to just do.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #8

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did it the fun and expensive way. Range time and ammo

Old 09-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

You didn't say at what distances you are trying to shoot. When shooting with weak hand, move the target closer & practice there until you are satisfied & then move it out.

Personally, I have better accuracy with just 'point & shoot' than by trying to use the sights. I figure the only time I'll actually need to shoot weak handed is in an emergency & at fairly close quarters.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #10

Liked 1761 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

I shoot pretty good with my weak hand. But not near as fast. You just need to practice. If you shoould decide to shoot in competitions you will end up being required to shoot off hand. It is a skill you may need some day.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.