What is your primary carry gun? - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What is your primary carry gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 01:14 AM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
The short time I actually used it, to blow up signs illegally posted on a property I own, WD-40, and sometimes propane. The gun was actually built by a friend of mine set up to use a small propane cylinder that threads onto it with a hi tech valve and piezo igniter/ trigger to introduce the gas to the chamber and ignite it. However it has a cap (the breach) that threads off and WD-40 or even hairspray can be used as well. Between propane and WD-40 I believe WD-40 works the best. As far as potatoe ammo goes Idaho Russets do the most damage on target. They'll actually shread up to 1/2" plywood pretty good and at suprisingly good distance for a pototoe gun. Red and White potatoes kind of splatter and dont do much damage.
Wow! That's cool. I never knew WD40 was explosive - I've used it to start my boat engine in place of starting fluid, but I didn't know it was a good "hair spray" or propane substitute! I guess I'm going to Lowes this saturday for some PVC and a grill igniter...and then to Price Chopper of course!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #122

Liked 365 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Wow! That's cool. I never knew WD40 was explosive - I've used it to start my boat engine in place of starting fluid, but I didn't know it was a good "hair spray" or propane substitute! I guess I'm going to Lowes this saturday for some PVC and a grill igniter...and then to Price Chopper of course!
I dont know what the propellant is of the WD-40 spray cans. I think the oil of the WD-40 is adding more carbon to the mix and burns slower than propane or hairspray. With the ungodly grain weight of the superb Idho Russet bullet I believe that the slower burning propellant continues to burn and expand and thus increase in pressures in the barrel as the potaote is traveling through it.

Also build your spudzooka out of ABS pipe, not PVC pipe. PVC is too thin and brittle compaired to ABS.

Too much propellant of any kind gives poor performance. I usually shot a short spray into the combustion chamber for the best results. (You need more air than propellant to get the best results.) You'll have to experiment a bit to get the right amount of WD-40 or any other propellant for that matter to find how much will give you the best results.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 AM   #123

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I dont know what the propellant is of the WD-40 spray cans. I think the oil of the WD-40 is adding more carbon to the mix and burns slower than propane or hairspray. With the ungodly grain weight of the superb Idho Russet bullet I believe that the slower burning propellant continues to burn and expand and thus increase in pressures in the barrel as the potaote is traveling through it.
That makes sense!

Quote:
Also build your spudzooka out of ABS pipe, not PVC pipe. PVC is too thin and brittle compaired to ABS.
That makes sense too!

Quote:
Too much propellant of any kind gives poor performance. I usually shot a short spray into the combustion chamber for the best results. (You need more air than propellant to get the best results.) You'll have to experiment a bit to get the right amount of WD-40 or any other propellant for that matter to find how much will give you the best results.
Thanks for the advice. I'll post a range report next week!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-22-2009, 05:30 AM   #124

its getting warm so i've got my xd 40sc in an iwb holster at about the 8 oclock position (lefty shooter!) I keep a ka-bar 3 1/4" dozier point in my right back pocket plus an extra mag with the holster. In winter I carry XD 45 in a shoulder rig with 2 spare mags + the ka-bar. I have my S&W model 60 in an ankle rig for long car rides or the occasional winter dual carry. When im at home I have all 3 hidden strategically. speer gold dot is the only ammo i use for self defense.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:32 AM   #125

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The Bersa Thunder .380 Duotone is my main carry piece. If the wacky shortage of .380 ammo gets any worse I am going to have to use my Chief's Special .38.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #126

Default Primary Carry

On a day to day basis, i put my trust in my Sig p226 equinox (without rail). I have both .40 S&w and .357SIG for it and usually carry the .357 sig with Gold Dot HP's, two 12 round magazines and a 20 rounder for those "just in case" situations. Then again i live in Tucson arizona where everyone is shooting everyone for no reason but to maybe get 50 dollars from a convenient store so u can never be too safe here.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #127

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-BOLT View Post
Colt Trooper MK III .357 Mag. 4" barrel
Guns & Guzzis.................... I LIKE that combo! (Guns in general & GUZZIS). Yep I really do. Had a Beemer but it was something like a Guzzi,................. with a saggy bust.

My carry is usually a BT .380, CZ-2075 RAMI in .40, CZ-75B in .40 or my Kimber Custom Carry .45. I've practiced extensively with them. Forty+ years with a .45 (USMC & LE & Life as a private citizen), Thirty plus years with the other calibers. I was shooting CZs before it was popular in the States and truly appreciate them.

Only the hits count and if you can consistently put your rounds into a grapefruit size target at 10 yards.................keep practicing.

Semper Fi

Old 06-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #128

Liked 1434 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Shifted to summer carry mode.

Ruger LCR w/Cor-Bon 38 Spl + P 110gr DPX

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #129

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

^^^^ Yet another awesome firearm that isn't legal in MA..

My M&P 40 is still going strong.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #130

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Whoa!!!

Mr. 1911 himself is carrying a .38 snub revolver????

What is the world coming to?