What (in your opinion) is the best ccw? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What (in your opinion) is the best ccw?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

there are really too many pistols in your price range to make that type of choice, plus what works for one person, might not be the best choice for you. some like semi autos, some like revolvers, some like compacts, some like full size, and so on.

best way to determine what's best for you is to try out as many as you can. if possible go to a gun shop or range and shoot some. if this isn't possible, then just try them out for how well they fit your hand. the better it fills your hand, the better in accuracy you will achieve. if you find something that you really like and if it falls out of your budget, then either save up for the difference or look for one used.

when you have made a decision on the one that suits you, and have bought it, then go to the range and practice, practice and then practice some more. then learn how to maintain and clean it. this is important, as a poorly maintained firearm isn't something one should depend on in a life threatening situation. also don't just carry it and leave it at that. practice on a regular basis, say at least once a month. remember, if you are carrying concealed, it's your life that could be at stake and the amount of money spent once a month on ammo could make all the difference if your life is in danger.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1337 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1422

I sure like my Charter Arms Patriot in .327 magnum...........

When all else fails.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best concealed handgun?? Hmmmmmmmm....

Yep, this could open up a firestorm and perhaps the best advice so far is get something you are comfortable with and something you can hit the target with. I've carried just about anything you can think of over the last 55 years and do have my favorites and my not so favorites. My hands are good sized but my fingers are short so I am not a fan of large caliber double stack pistol grip magazines. Smaller caliber is fine. Likewise, having had a bad episode with scarlet fever when I was a kid and having a lot of scar tissue on my hands, synthetic frame grips slide around too much on recoil, despite a firm grip. Sooo?? I favor heavily textured/checkered or rubberized grips.

It just depends on your situation for comfort.

Next would be the decision maker. Can you actually hit the target with the firearm you choose? Noise and caliber are nothing if you can't hit what you aim at and that leads to the absolute requirement to get as much range time as possible with your chosen firearm.

Best of luck on your decisions

Semper Fi.

USMC Retired

For what's more honourable than scarrs, on skin to tatters rent in warrs?
Samuel Butler, HUDIBRAS 1658

When he goughed out me eye, I saw he was no gent. So I ups and broke 'is arm.
15th Centuary wrestler

Why saber?? 'Cause you don't take heads with the point................

Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #24

Liked 304 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 23

My next one will be a Smith 360PD

Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 833 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 4414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
Yep, this could open up a firestorm and perhaps the best advice so far is get something you are comfortable with and something you can hit the target with. I've carried just about anything you can think of over the last 55 years and do have my favorites and my not so favorites. My hands are good sized but my fingers are short so I am not a fan of large caliber double stack pistol grip magazines. Smaller caliber is fine. Likewise, having had a bad episode with scarlet fever when I was a kid and having a lot of scar tissue on my hands, synthetic frame grips slide around too much on recoil, despite a firm grip. Sooo?? I favor heavily textured/checkered or rubberized grips.

It just depends on your situation for comfort.

Next would be the decision maker. Can you actually hit the target with the firearm you choose? Noise and caliber are nothing if you can't hit what you aim at and that leads to the absolute requirement to get as much range time as possible with your chosen firearm.

Best of luck on your decisions

Semper Fi.
I have to agree here. I'm 5'9 and 155lbs. I carry a Glock 20 (full size 10mm) because I shoot more accurately with this than I do any of my other pistols.

I have bigger friends that prefer compact. I have smaller friends that prefer full size Glocks, Sigs and 1911s. It just boils down to what are you most comfortable with (as far as shooting and handling) that you are also accurate with. That defines what the best carry gun is.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #26
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9754

Huckleberry posted this thread about 4 years ago. How the heck did this get dredged up to give him more advice now? I'm pretty sure he decided on a carry firearm by now.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 04-28-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Huckleberry posted this thread about 4 years ago. How the heck did this get dredged up to give him more advice now?
i never even noticed that!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #28
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2328 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Huckleberry posted this thread about 4 years ago. How the heck did this get dredged up to give him more advice now? I'm pretty sure he decided on a carry firearm by now.
Missed that. We don't need a zombie thread when no one is asking a question.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Closed Thread