What (in your opinion) is the best ccw? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What (in your opinion) is the best ccw?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The simple answer is: whatever you'll be happy to carry and shoot well.

If it's to be a utilitarian home defense/carry/range gun, check out a medium sized compact like a Ruger SR9c (or XD, Glock, M&P, etc). If you're able to drop a couple hundred more, maybe also look at a Sig P239, P229, or a commander-framed 1911.

If it's exclusively for carry, that's a very personal decision. I like light, single stacked 9mms and 45acps. I'm just breaking in a S&W M&P Shield. Great gun, light, crisp trigger, decent (8+1) capacity. It carries like a micro and shoots like a medium framed compact for me. And that last sentence describes everything I'm looking for in a carry gun. They're selling for a little over $400 most places. Other ultra-compacts worth looking at: various Kahr models, Ruger LC9, Springfield XDs-45, Ruger LCR.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #12

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Start with the biggest caliber you can find; then as the years go by you can start reducing it down to something more manageable. When I was a young lad, I started carrying a .50 caliber. Now I am an old man, and carry a squirt gun. In my middle ages, I carried them all; a .38, .375, .40, .44, and .45. Have fun carrying; life is too short to carry just one.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Kimber Solo (9mm).

-
Perfecting my gear...the skill's next.
Mark

Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #14

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

LC9, LCR, CW9, CW40, Solo9, Beretta Nano, Shield, PF9, and XDs right off the top of my head. These are all slimmer and more compact which is something I think is important. If I am dropping money on something to carry I am going to be realistic about size and weight and whether or not I am comfortable with carrying whatever sized package I choose ALL THE TIME. I don't currently have a permit but I have a buddy who got his and to be honest, I am usually better armed than he. I almost always have a knife of some kind with me but he seemingly never takes his gun with him... He picked the Glock 19. A very good gun to be honest, but a little thick and long to be a full time carry weapon...

Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #15

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

Let me be more clear... I get it... Some guys can honestly say they won't carry anything short of a commander 1911 or a full-size service weapon and that's fine with me. If you will comfortably carry it most of the time I back you on that choice. I personally prefer something much more compact...

Old 04-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I love my S&W bicentennial.. IMO S&W revolvers are one of the best.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #17

Liked 4716 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
Ok. This may have been asked before but I could'nt find it. I turn 21 next month and I will be getting my first ccw. So now I'm trying to decide what I want to carry. I thought i would ask everyones opinion, so.. what do yall think is the best gun for a ccw and why? pros/cons? I know this question is gonna get a lot of different answers but that is what I want. I dont make much money so this for me is a big purchase. I'm looking for something around 500 or so.
Click on my Avatar and navagiate your way to my Threads.

Look for the one titled "ideal dimensions for a CCW handgun"

Not saying my opinion is right, just what works for me after 16+ years of daily CCW.

Tack

Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3644

I carry a CZ82 most of the time. Its not exactly light weight, due to it being a steel frame. But the extra weight sure makes it pleasurable to shoot.
I prefer my carry gun to be double action. I carry it with 1 in the chaimber. I figure if I need it, I wont have to fumble with a safety. Just pull the trigger.

These can be bought for around $200 - $250
1000 rounds will cost around $200 - 250 including shipping cost.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2092 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
Ok. This may have been asked before but I could'nt find it. I turn 21 next month and I will be getting my first ccw. So now I'm trying to decide what I want to carry. I thought i would ask everyones opinion, so.. what do yall think is the best gun for a ccw and why? pros/cons? I know this question is gonna get a lot of different answers but that is what I want. I dont make much money so this for me is a big purchase. I'm looking for something around 500 or so.
Just like there is no such thing as the best pair of shoes, there is no such thing as the best handgun.

Go try lots of handguns and see what fits you. All of the major manufacturers make great weapons.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 04-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

i mainly carry a xdm compact in 45acp.

from time to time i also carry colt series 70, sig p220, bersa thunder and thunder plus, colt new agent, and a couple of times when i was feeling especially communist ive carried my nagant revolver...

im pretty eclectic and practice with all the guns i carry. what works for me prolly wont work for others

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Closed Thread