What is your favorite caliber? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

What is your favorite caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Hmmmm.....

I am a 45acp fan from way back. But if I had to pick one....

*Handgun.....10mm. (home defense, Carry, and hunting).
*Rifle......308 (7.62) one for my rem. 700, or Sako.....and 7.62 for M14

"A man has got to know his limitations....." - Clint

NRA Life Member

Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #12

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Handgun? 45 acp.
Rifles? 308, 303, 30-06, ect. I really like the concept of a .30 cal, they can serve just about any purpose.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Old 06-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #13

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
Just curious....what do you not like about the 9mm..? We have first timers come in the shop all the time wanting us to recommend a gun or caliber. I have noticed each salesperson will steer them in a certain direction, based on what their personal preference is. I try not to do that, but sometimes if you dont take charge of the situation, and tell them what to buy, they will just get frustrated, and walk out without buying anything. Every gun we sell comes with a free first shots safety class, and 1 hr of range time, so we often get to witness the transition from newbie, to gun nut...

Some of my distaste for the 9mm comes from reverse peer pressure, as so many others seem to be infatuated by it. A lot of my predjuice against it comes from the days before high capacity 1911's when there was a hot and heavy debate between the "capacitonions" (those who favorer high capacity 9mm) vs. the "caliberites" (who prefered fewer, but bigger bullets). I was a caliberite -- if it can't be stopped by 8 rounds of .45, then I haven't any business shooting at it. Also, honestly, advances in handgun ammunition technology have lessened the basis of my preference for the .45 over the 9mm, which was that the 9mm penetrated too cleanly and did not have enough expansion for a self defense round.

I still feel that a heavy, slower bullet is better for self defense, especially in an urban enviroment. I find the .45 ACP to to extremely controllable and easy to shoot. And . . . I like big bullets.

If I hadn't been a .45 fan all these years, the .40 might be my fav -- to me it's a good compromise between the 9mm and the .45.

Bottom line -- for me -- I feel that a .45 will drop 'em dead quicker than a 9mm and (knowing that this will draw a **** storm down on me for a variety of reasons) -- the 9mm is okay for a "girls" gun.

Last edited by txpossum; 06-13-2013 at 01:30 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #14

Liked 744 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Some of my distaste for the 9mm comes from reverse peer pressure, as so many others seem to be infatuated by it. A lot of my predjuice against it comes from the days before high capacity 1911's when there was a hot and heavy debate between the "capacitonions" (those who favorer high capacity 9mm) vs. the "caliberites" (who prefered fewer, but bigger bullets). I was a caliberite -- if it can't be stopped by 8 rounds of .45, then I haven't any business shooting at it. Also, honestly, advances in handgun ammunition technology have lessened the basis of my preference for the .45 over the 9mm, which was that the 9mm penetrated too cleanly and did not have enough expansion for a self defense round.

I still feel that a heavy, slower bullet is better for self defense, especially in an urban enviroment. I find the .45 ACP to to extremely controllable and easy to shoot. And . . . I like big bullets.

If I hadn't been a .45 fan all these years, the .40 might be my fav -- to me it's a good compromise between the 9mm and the .45.

Bottom line -- for me -- I feel that a .45 will drop 'em dead quicker than a 9mm and (knowing that this will draw a **** storm down on me for a variety of reasons) -- the 9mm is okay for a "girls" gun.
Thanks for the candid response. My current EDC gun is a SR9 (if it cant be stopped by 18 rnds of 9mm Hydra shok, i probably dont have any business shooting at it either....lol) But i am thinking seriously about trading up to an SR40.....

Last edited by readygirl; 06-13-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:

well said Possum. pretty much the same as i feel. while i do own a 9mm, it's probably my least shot pistol these days. i like my 40, but as that i have three pistols in 45, i would have to say the 45 is pretty much my favorite right now.

and there are always those i like, that i want to add into the collection! a 41 Mag., a 1911 in 38 Super and i have been wanting to try out a 100 as well.
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #16

Liked 431 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i'm really startin to like the 32 H&R mag, there's a lot more pop to 'em then a guy thinks.

i'd say my favorite though is the 9mm Luger.......& no possum, i'm not a girl

Old 06-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #17

Liked 744 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
well said Possum. pretty much the same as i feel. while i do own a 9mm, it's probably my least shot pistol these days. i like my 40, but as that i have three pistols in 45, i would have to say the 45 is pretty much my favorite right now.

and there are always those i like, that i want to add into the collection! a 41 Mag., a 1911 in 38 Super and i have been wanting to try out a 100 as well.
I would like to have a Blackhawk in .41mag....if one finds me, i will probably bring it home. Our Ruger rep says they are producing them again...and interest in them is really starting to pick up.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
I would like to have a Blackhawk in .41mag....if one finds me, i will probably bring it home. Our Ruger rep says they are producing them again...and interest in them is really starting to pick up.
i would like one of the older S & W pistols in 41 Mag. with a 4" or 6" barrel. blued of course!

Old 06-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #19

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:

If anything the .45 is the "in between" from 9mm to .40. Seeing as the .40 gets about 100 ft/lbs more energy than the .45. That being said i am a fan of both 9mm and .45, dont care for the .40 realy.
If i needed a handgun with more energy than a .45 I'd go to a 10mm or .357.

If the BG gets past the 11rds of 9mm Hornady Critical Defense, no caliber will save me.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Pretty much anything that propels a .45 diameter bullet. 45colt is one of if not the most versatile cartridges in handguns.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
readygirl Likes This