What are your dry fire routines - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What are your dry fire routines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB

I sometimes think it is a reflection of society today. Young people watch "reality shows" that depict constant conflict and scripted arguments and think that is the way life is supposed to be. They don't have enough life experience to know the difference.

As a result some people post opinions that are only designed to get conflicting opinions and controversy going. I'm not sure they actually believe the info, but are merely looking for attention, negative or otherwise.

While I'm at most of today's 25 year olds are like the 14 year olds of my day. EXAMPLES : Live at home with parents, play video games 8 hrs a day, thinking about getting a part time job etc.

Ok, sorry guys Rant Over.

Oh by the way I'm only 38 but things sure have changed in the last 15 yrs!
I agree. I am just shy of 18, so I am growing up in the crappy generation you are referring to. I have love guns since I was 7, and pretty much eat, sleep, and breathe firearms. I own 17 firearms, repair/rebuild other's firearms, and socialize and trade with other collectors and enthusiasts. I agree that most "kids" knowledge of firearms come from TV and call of duty, and it gets pretty annoying. As a matter of fact, I gave an impromptu lesson to my ROTC flight, the other day, on the differences between a magazine and a clip, after someone made the mistake. Not really tryin I show off or be treated less of a gun enthusiast, but that's me.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Dry fire routine? Well usually I turn the lights down low, find an appropriate movie, make sure I am alone, and do some visualization exercises.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #33

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Dry fire routine? Well usually I turn the lights down low, find an appropriate movie, make sure I am alone, and do some visualization exercises.
Lol that's funny as hell man you got any tips hahaha

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
Lol that's funny as hell man you got any tips hahaha
Watch Barbarella if you are in a Grudge mood.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #35

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Watch Barbarella if you are in a Grudge mood.
You showin your age Orange

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #36

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

I think dry firing can only help to an extent.

The whole point of target shooting is that your getting feedback on your actions

For target shooting dry firing can help with trigger pressures ,breathing and positioning of grip, finger and cheek weld and so on.

For sd not sure it has as much value since the relaxed approach of target shootting differs greatly to a defence situation which is much harder to replicate.

With a hand gun the trigger pull will be much faster in this situation and unless your getting the feedback of a live round hitting what your aiming at, I am not sure it's gonna help.

The laser idea seems the most appropriate way to me because a least your getting some feedback.

There is no substitute for range time
Then you know if your technique is up to scratch.

There is a reason why special forces.etc train with live ammo in killing houses .

Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6349 Times on 3549 Posts
Likes Given: 5929

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
I think dry firing can only help to an extent.

The whole point of target shooting is that your getting feedback on your actions

For target shooting dry firing can help with trigger pressures ,breathing and positioning of grip, finger and cheek weld and so on.

For sd not sure it has as much value since the relaxed approach of target shootting differs greatly to a defence situation which is much harder to replicate.

With a hand gun the trigger pull will be much faster in this situation and unless your getting the feedback of a live round hitting what your aiming at, I am not sure it's gonna help.

The laser idea seems the most appropriate way to me because a least your getting some feedback.

There is no substitute for range time
Then you know if your technique is up to scratch.

There is a reason why special forces.etc train with live ammo in killing houses .

I must disagree. If you practice properly, you are watching the front sight intently as you press (not squeeze) the trigger. You can see any movement of the sight as the trigger breaks. You're getting the "feel" of the trigger into muscle memory.

If your weapon is a revolver, dry fire is critical to learning rapid double action, unless you own an ammo factory!

There's another little trick in dry fire that really helps. Take an old pair of socks and place a one pound weight in each.
Tie the socks together and drape over the wrist of the gun hand. Hold the weapon out front, with the sights aligned as long as you can, while pressing the trigger. Repeat 8-10 times. If you do this 3-4 times per week, in a couple of months, your weapon will feel like a feather in your hand.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #38

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

Tie the socks together and drape over the wrist of the gun hand. Hold the weapon out front, with the sights aligned as long as you can, while pressing the trigger. Repeat 8-10 times. If you do this 3-4 times per week, in a couple of months, your weapon will feel like a feather in your hand.
Is that kinda like when you sit on your hand for two minutes, until your hand goes numb.. then masturbate and it feels like it's someone else's hand?: -D

Seriously though I've not come across that trick but if it works.. cool

Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
Is that kinda like when you sit on your hand for two minutes, until your hand goes numb.. then masturbate and it feels like it's someone else's hand?: -D

Seriously though I've not come across that trick but if it works.. cool
Ahhh, "the stranger"!

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3862 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I personally practice dry firing CQC draws with my Sig and HK. I use A-Zoom snap caps in 9mm and .40 caliber. I will put snap caps randomly in students magazines to show flinching, bad form and practice misfires. They are also utilized to teach drawing from the holster and gun on target basics. Cool stuff.