What are your dry fire routines
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What are your dry fire routines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Default What are your dry fire routines

Interested in hearing your dry firing routines and drills. With ammo so high I want to keep skills up through dry fire.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #2

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

After a triple check to make sure weapon is clear while watching t.v. I will sometimes practice mag changes, tactical reloads etc. while keeping focused on the t. v. (threat). Making the transitions by feel and trying to quickly get back on target.

I do this while I am home alone not just for safety but also so the old lady doesn't have me committed to a mental institution.

Last edited by FrontierTCB; 03-18-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Dennis845 Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #3

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

I don't believe in or subscribe to this whole "skill" thing. I don't practice drawing and firing when I shoot and I don't dry fire; I don't aim at things loaded or un- at home and don't think I'm Rambo.

The only skill there is is accuracy. The rest you can't practice unless you put yourself in high stress and dangerous situations daily. It is quite impossible to imitate red zone defense.

I don't at all believe muscle memory can overcome fear or stress when it wasn't developed in it, and find this whole concept Laughable.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #4

Liked 307 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Buy some snap caps if you're going to dry fire. I practice every day when I am home off the road (OTR Trucker).

Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #5

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I wish there was a way to reset the trigger without having to operate the slide or action.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I don't at all believe muscle memory can overcome fear or stress when it wasn't developed in it, and find this whole concept Laughable.
Boxers confirm it every day. What they do on the heavy bag is what they do in the ring.

This video displays how you can ingrain habits that carry over into the fight... whereas bad habits will get you killed.

Last edited by The_Kid; 03-18-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added a video
Mick3411 Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Just spitballin here....but

You probably should qualify your criteria into disciplines.Are we talking

Hunting?

Target?

Self defense?

Could go on a loong discussion just based on what crossovers there are on each of the above.And then break down THAT discussion into physical(muscle memory),mental,practical.

"How" you practice is vital.Whether it's tactical or target.....only thing is,they may have completely different regimens?

How "much" you practice.Usually varies between not only disciplines....but individuals.Ex:I know there's a match/tourney coming up on "this" exact date.I'll shoot(ha) for that in practice.You can not say that from a SD aspect.

Break it down more.....exactly what are you trying to accomplish with your,in this case,dry-fire practice?For me,it's trigger control with a Dbl action revolver.I spend as MUCH time slowly releasing trigger as I do pulling it.This is where I"M needing practice.....it's trigger finger muscle memory.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #8

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheshop View Post
Just spitballin here....but

You probably should qualify your criteria into disciplines.Are we talking

Hunting?

Target?

Self defense?

Could go on a loong discussion just based on what crossovers there are on each of the above.And then break down THAT discussion into physical(muscle memory),mental,practical.

"How" you practice is vital.Whether it's tactical or target.....only thing is,they may have completely different regimens?

How "much" you practice.Usually varies between not only disciplines....but individuals.Ex:I know there's a match/tourney coming up on "this" exact date.I'll shoot(ha) for that in practice.You can not say that from a SD aspect.

Break it down more.....exactly what are you trying to accomplish with your,in this case,dry-fire practice?For me,it's trigger control with a Dbl action revolver.I spend as MUCH time slowly releasing trigger as I do pulling it.This is where I"M needing practice.....it's trigger finger muscle memory.
Great questions. I am looking for self defense applications. Trigger control and site picture are what I focus on now - and will want to continue. Malfunction and reloading drills as well.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #9

Liked 691 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 1449

Default Just my 2 cents here...

Why dry fire when there's airsoft? Because of the great ammo shortage my son and I are shooting airsoft in the backyard and mixing in an exercise routine to get our heart rates up. It also simulates the physical aspects of an actual fire fight situation. Just make sure you wear eye protection. Those little buggers ricochet everywhere !!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I work on trigger control and sight picture using a SIRT laser trainer. This allows me to see where the shot would hit, feedback that I don't get with dry firing. When I dry fire with my normal gun everything always seems perfect. I can put an empty .22 cal casing on the front sight and it never falls, but that does little to show me what I am doing wrong. The laser trainer puts the dot on the actual hit location when the trigger is pulled and you get to see if it is a small dot or a drag.