Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   What are your dry fire routines (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/what-your-dry-fire-routines-86815/)

Mick3411 03-18-2013 01:52 AM

What are your dry fire routines

Interested in hearing your dry firing routines and drills. With ammo so high I want to keep skills up through dry fire.

FrontierTCB 03-18-2013 02:50 AM

After a triple check to make sure weapon is clear while watching t.v. I will sometimes practice mag changes, tactical reloads etc. while keeping focused on the t. v. (threat). Making the transitions by feel and trying to quickly get back on target.

I do this while I am home alone not just for safety but also so the old lady doesn't have me committed to a mental institution.

BeyondTheBox 03-18-2013 03:05 AM

I don't believe in or subscribe to this whole "skill" thing. I don't practice drawing and firing when I shoot and I don't dry fire; I don't aim at things loaded or un- at home and don't think I'm Rambo.

The only skill there is is accuracy. The rest you can't practice unless you put yourself in high stress and dangerous situations daily. It is quite impossible to imitate red zone defense.

I don't at all believe muscle memory can overcome fear or stress when it wasn't developed in it, and find this whole concept Laughable.

WonderingMind 03-18-2013 06:10 AM

Buy some snap caps if you're going to dry fire. I practice every day when I am home off the road (OTR Trucker).

lbwar15 03-18-2013 06:50 AM

I wish there was a way to reset the trigger without having to operate the slide or action.

The_Kid 03-18-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1180352)
I don't at all believe muscle memory can overcome fear or stress when it wasn't developed in it, and find this whole concept Laughable.

Boxers confirm it every day. What they do on the heavy bag is what they do in the ring.

This video displays how you can ingrain habits that carry over into the fight... whereas bad habits will get you killed.

Intheshop 03-18-2013 11:50 AM

Just spitballin here....but

You probably should qualify your criteria into disciplines.Are we talking

Hunting?

Target?

Self defense?

Could go on a loong discussion just based on what crossovers there are on each of the above.And then break down THAT discussion into physical(muscle memory),mental,practical.

"How" you practice is vital.Whether it's tactical or target.....only thing is,they may have completely different regimens?

How "much" you practice.Usually varies between not only disciplines....but individuals.Ex:I know there's a match/tourney coming up on "this" exact date.I'll shoot(ha) for that in practice.You can not say that from a SD aspect.

Break it down more.....exactly what are you trying to accomplish with your,in this case,dry-fire practice?For me,it's trigger control with a Dbl action revolver.I spend as MUCH time slowly releasing trigger as I do pulling it.This is where I"M needing practice.....it's trigger finger muscle memory.

Mick3411 03-18-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intheshop (Post 1180739)
Just spitballin here....but

You probably should qualify your criteria into disciplines.Are we talking

Hunting?

Target?

Self defense?

Could go on a loong discussion just based on what crossovers there are on each of the above.And then break down THAT discussion into physical(muscle memory),mental,practical.

"How" you practice is vital.Whether it's tactical or target.....only thing is,they may have completely different regimens?

How "much" you practice.Usually varies between not only disciplines....but individuals.Ex:I know there's a match/tourney coming up on "this" exact date.I'll shoot(ha) for that in practice.You can not say that from a SD aspect.

Break it down more.....exactly what are you trying to accomplish with your,in this case,dry-fire practice?For me,it's trigger control with a Dbl action revolver.I spend as MUCH time slowly releasing trigger as I do pulling it.This is where I"M needing practice.....it's trigger finger muscle memory.

Great questions. I am looking for self defense applications. Trigger control and site picture are what I focus on now - and will want to continue. Malfunction and reloading drills as well.

NC1760 03-18-2013 12:30 PM

Just my 2 cents here...

Why dry fire when there's airsoft? Because of the great ammo shortage my son and I are shooting airsoft in the backyard and mixing in an exercise routine to get our heart rates up. It also simulates the physical aspects of an actual fire fight situation. Just make sure you wear eye protection. Those little buggers ricochet everywhere !!

kirbinster 03-18-2013 02:20 PM

I work on trigger control and sight picture using a SIRT laser trainer. This allows me to see where the shot would hit, feedback that I don't get with dry firing. When I dry fire with my normal gun everything always seems perfect. I can put an empty .22 cal casing on the front sight and it never falls, but that does little to show me what I am doing wrong. The laser trainer puts the dot on the actual hit location when the trigger is pulled and you get to see if it is a small dot or a drag.