What are YOUR acceptable groups? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What are YOUR acceptable groups?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 267 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Not so much anymore, but I hunted with my revolvers, so accuracy was important to me, and still is. I am not a gunfighter, law enforcement officer nor para military; I am a sport handgunner, who just happens to be able to defend himself with a gun.

I was never able to get to the really big stuff, elk, moose, and buffalo, but did have some time in the woods and fields, hunting rabbit, squirrel and deer. Did some varmint hunting shooting crows and groundhogs.

I also spent time on a couple of pistol teams in the Army, and shot in the Winter Matches in 1960.

I've enjoyed my guns, my shooting and study of them. Col. Townsend Whelen once said "Only accurate rifles are interesting." I feel pretty much the same way about revolvers.

Bob Wright

Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #32

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I don't care about sight groups. I practice mainly with a high pulse rate (push-ups and jumping jacks before shooting), point shooting, and shooting while running. All real-world accuracy situations and if I can hit 6" with those under 25' I'm happy...

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 03-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Some are doing an excellent job of defining goals and then shooting your best. I like to draw in ink; some days a stick man is a challenge on other days I can do anything. So it is with shooting.
I've been fortunate to run a range for 5 summers and for the last 40+ years there has been a 42 yd range and a 100 yd range within 50 yds of the back door. We choose to participate in a sport where there are so many disciplines, you are not going to be bored. Close up, bulls-eye shooting will allow you to find out what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong — quickly. Silhouette shooting will allow you to see the potential out to 200 M. Hunting, venison tastes better when you've used a short gun. Starting from a drawn gun, bowling pin shoots add time and multiple targets to our games. Practical pistol, get it out and hit your target. reload. Plinking away, what a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. Self defense, I hope and pray I never need it ,but---. If you are happy shooting for the rest of your life from a bench rest good for you! I'm sure there are many disciplines I've missed.
While at a bowling pin shoot, I was ecstatic knocking down 9 pins in 6 seconds. A LEO shot next and did the same 9 pins in 4+seconds. Should I be happy and smile at my success , or sour grapes because his gun was totally tricked out with a red dot and compensator? I took out 4 for 10 rams at 200 M with my revolver, should I smile less because the next shooter took 9 for 10 rams with his Thompson?
Be happy and celebrate good days and improvement. Try another discipline!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #34
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2361 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 679

In a self defense situation you will have adrenaline to contend with. The more accurate you are the less chance of a miss and possible collateral damage. The huge proportion of self defense situations occur at 21' or less so I practice at 21'. 5" rapid fire is a good indication that you will be on target in a high adrenaline situation. I have been told by people that have been in gunfights that the pistol will climb so start low and work you way up.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #35

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
I don't care about sight groups. I practice mainly with a high pulse rate ...
My pulse rate quickens everytime i touch my guns

Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #36

Liked 82 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
25 yards they need to be within 2" no matter the pistol or I"ll look at what I'm, doing wrong or getting rid of the gun. I shoot some pistols out to 50 yards and I want to be able to hit a 50 round ammo box pretty consistently. more than 2-3 fliers and I'm pretty upset.

Oh..Rifles I don't shoot much over 100 yards as I don't have a whole lot of room to get much more safely. Depending on the rifle I will want to have no trouble placing on a 4"x4" square where I want it to be. Except with 22's, I give myself a little more room with most of them.
You shoot pistols out to 50 yards? Good God. I wouldn't even want to know where my rounds end up at when aiming for something 150 feet away. I have never even attempted that.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #37

Liked 267 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Luckyj: You shoot pistols out to 50 yards? Good God. I wouldn't even want to know where my rounds end up at when aiming for something 150 feet away. I have never even attempted that.
Have you never attempted metallic silhouette shooting? Fifty meters is the closest target, the fartherest is two hundred meters, or 218 yards. And the steel target must go down to count.

Bob Wright

Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #38
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2361 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Have you never attempted metallic silhouette shooting? Fifty meters is the closest target, the fartherest is two hundred meters, or 218 yards. And the steel target must go down to count.

Bob Wright
I have seen some of the guns they use and they aint off the shelf.

A looong time ago my brother and I used to take 1911's out on the desert and keep a 1 quart oil can moving at 50 yards. Some of the people on here haven ever seen a 1 quart oil can.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 03-28-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #39

Liked 82 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright

Bob Wright
Nope. Never have. This has peaked my interest though. I don't know that I have ever attempted to shoot beyond 25 yards with a pistol. Hmm. May be time to give it a shot. No pun intended.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner

BINGO!! We got a wise man on our hands here people
I never said anything

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Last edited by Wiseman3; 03-29-2013 at 12:39 AM.