Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   What Would You Consider Good Shooting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/what-would-you-consider-good-shooting-42139/)

egghead 05-05-2011 06:10 PM

What Would You Consider Good Shooting?

Thinking 10 yards, slow fire with an off the shelf center-fire handgun. Two inch groups, one inch groups?

Sniper03 05-05-2011 06:21 PM

Egghead,

My thoughts would be it would depend upon the experience the shooter had. And the familiarity with the weapon. A new shooter probably would be good doing 3" groups a 10 yards while someone with a lot of practice and experience maybe 2". The match shooter who has been developing his skill for some years and the gifted shooter with practice and experience possibly 1". But I would say with in a 2" group would be the normal for a good shooter that is not a Master. Then again for most people the caliber would have a bearing on it also basing it on recoil and etc.

wb_carpenter 05-05-2011 06:24 PM

Hard to say I personally could keep 3-5 shots inside 2" but outside 1" with my M&P9 compact if I really take my time.

With a .22 its a bit easier.

I am no expert but a decent shooter.

General_lee 05-05-2011 06:25 PM

I consider good shooting to be hitting what I aim at. :D

egghead 05-05-2011 06:51 PM

I'm pleased when I see a hole in the target, but I was wondering what most experienced shooters would consider solid.

danf_fl 05-05-2011 07:26 PM

Depending on which handgun I am using.
One will put 5 rounds of .45 touching each other at 15 yards.
Another will put 5 rounds of 9mm within 4" of each other at 15 yards.

Both are acceptable to me. So which is the best group?

WDB 05-06-2011 01:55 AM

Three or four inch groups at 30' is a pretty good shooter at slow fire. Two inch groups is a person who has training/practices often. One inch groups is competition shooter.

yellowhand 05-06-2011 02:12 AM

4 inch hole at 15 yards

Cut a hole 4 inches in diameter into your target center mass, set target at 15 yards, and slap yourself upside the head each time you shoot and see a smaller hole anywhere on your target smaller than four inches.:D

For real, cutting a hole in your target and shooting thru the hole will get you off the idea of placing each round on top on one another.

As you get better, make the hole an inch smaller, move the target stand near and far, known and unknown distances, sideways on to where you're standing,etc.

Combat handgunning is getting multiple rounds around/in center mass at odd angles and unknown distances.

The hole method also saves your targets.

Works well for target shooting as well, hole is just smaller:D

canebrake 05-06-2011 02:25 AM

Is the question asked regarding competition shooting or fight shooting? Makes a huge difference.

The short answer;

Competition shooting, you should have a hard time telling how many bullets went through that one hole in the target's 10 ring.

Fight shooting, anywhere in the coke bottle.

cjbubbadoc 05-06-2011 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General_lee (Post 499071)
I consider good shooting to be hitting what I aim at. :D

effective 8", good 2", damn good 1" at 25 feet. Better than that is knowing where the bullet will go before it leaves the case.