What type if handgun should I purchase
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What type if handgun should I purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I am a new gun enthusiast and want to hear all the advice on what gun I should get for my CCW. My friend has recommended a Glock 27 but I did like the SR9C. I hope to hear advice on some others. I am not new to guns just have not been into handguns so need some advice.

Thank you

Last edited by Thetogg; 07-22-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetogg
I am a new gun enthusiast and want to hear all the advice on what gun I should get for my CCW. My friend has recommended a Glock 27 but I did like the SR9C. I hope to hear advice on some others

Thank you
My first carry gun was a snub nose .357, if you're new to guns all together or even just new to handguns a revolver is a good place to start
Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetogg View Post
I am a new gun enthusiast and want to hear all the advice on what gun I should get for my CCW. My friend has recommended a Glock 27 but I did like the SR9C. I hope to hear advice on some others

Thank you
i hate to sound critical, but you are a new gun enthusiast and you want to carry a pistol? is this correct? first of all i would suggest some time spent shooting and learning before jumping into concealed carry. CC is not just going out and buying a pistol and getting a permit. it's a very serious act of personal security that carries a heavy burden of responsibilty.

the choice of pistol is one of the least and minor details in the decision to CC as far as i am concerned. i think you need to learn a bit more about firearms and about CC before you decide to just make a rash decision to get a pistol and a permit and start carrying one.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetogg View Post

Thank you
Choosing a gun for CCW is a personal thing...what works for me may or may not work for you. Generally speaking either the Glock or Ruger would be a good choice, as would SigSauer, Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, Colt and a slew of others. What calibers are you looking at, what type of concealment, i.e. belt, inside wasteband, small of the back, ankle, etc.

My advice would be to find a range that rents different guns and calibers, try out a few and see whats feels right. Keep in mind a 9mm Glock may feel and shoot differently than a XD or a Sig 226. Once you narrow down the choices then look at the ease of concealment...a compact Glock will conceal more easily than a Beretta 92...again that depends on your build and holster placement.

Above all make absolutely certain that you are comfortable and confident with the gun before you step out the door, get some training if needed. Do some soul searching and be sure that you are prepared to take a life if the need arises and remember, you own the shot once you pull the trigger.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 07-22-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I'd suggest Glock26 instead the 27. They are the same size just different caliber. The 26 is 9mm, less recoil and more rounds. As you said you are new to guns, i thought i'd give you this opinion. To self each own.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #6

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Ill start with i currently carry a sr9c. But spend a good couple months shooting before you strap it to your side. Its a shiny paper weight til you know how to use it

Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #7

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
My first carry gun was a snub nose .357, if you're new to guns all together or even just new to handguns a revolver is a good place to start
I'll cast another vote for a revolver as a first handgun. Easy to use, very little maintenance required and if one rounf doesn't shoot just pull the trigger again. No jam to clear. A .357 Magnum is a great first revolver because you can shoot .38 Special's to start then move up to the full power .357's as you gain experience.

The SR9C you mention is a great gun as well if you want an auto. Not a Glock fan here myself. Glocks are well made guns with a proven reputation. I just don't shoot them well myself.

Choose the size of your gun based on what you will use it for. A small compact auto or snubby revolver will be a very good conceal gun but a close quarters gun. If you plan on also using it to plink cans at 25 yards and you're a new shooter that isn't going to happen with a snubby.

Once you decide on what you will use the gun for and what size you want try to find a range that rents guns or friends who own them and shoot as many as you can. Then select your gun based on your experience. A gun I love you might hate and a gun you love I might hate. I will use Glock again for this example. I do not shoot them well and have no use for them. I will never own a Glock. However, millions of Police Officers hit the street every day trusting their Glock to save their life. Many competition target shooters choose Glock and will shoot a 2" group at 25 yards or more. Glocks are well made, accurate guns. I just don't care for them.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #8

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i hate to sound critical, but you are a new gun enthusiast and you want to carry a pistol? is this correct? first of all i would suggest some time spent shooting and learning before jumping into concealed carry. CC is not just going out and buying a pistol and getting a permit. it's a very serious act of personal security that carries a heavy burden of responsibilty.

the choice of pistol is one of the least and minor details in the decision to CC as far as i am concerned. i think you need to learn a bit more about firearms and about CC before you decide to just make a rash decision to get a pistol and a permit and start carrying one.
What axxe said- Hear the same question more & more & never fails to scare the hell out of me

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 07-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

I have a couple of shot guns. I have shot plenty of guns in my day. I meant I have not been into guns as much as I have recently so that is why I used the word enthusiast.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
What axxe said- Hear the same question more & more & never fails to scare the hell out of me
I am not new to guns I just don't know a lot about handguns. I have shot a lot of guns in my day. I just used the word enthusiast because I have not been into handguns as I have been recently in the last year. I have shot a few handguns in the last year and wanted to get some advice on what gun to purchase for a CC.