Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > what is single/double action?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
huckleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 88
Default what is single/double action?

Will somone please explain the meaning of single action/double action? what it means, how it works, pros/cons? Pleeeeease!

__________________
huckleberry is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 296
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Single action-
When referring to a revolver it means that you have to pull the hammer back with your hand or thumb every time you want to fire a shot(cock it and then pull the trigger) Examples are Colt Single Action Army(SAA) Ruger Blackhawks, Ruger Vaquero, Ruger Super Blackhawk and MOST common percussion cap revolvers.

When referring to a Semi Automatic pistol it means that you have to manually cock the hammer for the first shot but not on subsequent shots because the slide cocks the hammer for you. Examples are Colt 1911 style pistols and Browning High Powers.

Double Action
For revolvers it means that when you pull the trigger it cocks the hammer and then fires the pistol (albeit very quickly). For a revolver this must be done for every shot. Most double action revolvers can also be fired in single action mode as well. Examples (in my experience) are Most revolvers with a swing out cylinder.

For a Semi Automatic pistol means that when the hammer is not cocked you can pull the trigger and it will cock and fire the pistol. you do not have to cock and fire the pistol with the trigger for every shot because the slide cocks the hammer when it cycles. This type of action is sometimes referred to a Double Action/Single Action (DA/SA) Example FEG P9

There is another option which is Double Action Only (DAO) this is simply a revolver or pistol that can't be fired in single action. Examples Glock pistols and I think that Berretta makes a version of the 92 that is DOA and the Browning BDA is DAO.
__________________
1984cj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
huckleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 88
Default

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

__________________
huckleberry is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Default what is single/double action

single action/double action pistols have a unique feature: semiautos after
pulling the slide back and chambering a round and firing the fisrt round the
pistol will chamber the second round, however now the trigger will now
set back as if semicocked and there is reduced pound pressure to pulling
the trigger to fire the second round until all rounds are discharged and the
slide normally remains in a rear cocked position leaving the ejection port open,
after removing the empty magazine and loading a second loaded magazine
you release the slide by pulling the slide back all the way or disengaging the
slide release lever, now the pistol is chambered and cocked ready to repeat
firing with the first trigger sqeeze being maximum pressure and the second
and remaing being possible half the pressure pull poundage(1st=5lb 2nd=2.5lb)
Revolvers that are single action/double action are similar regards to the 1st
and 2nd shots fired with the difference being that these revolvers do not require being cocked as in pulling the hammer back, you only need to pull to
depress the trigger and the trigger mechanism will react with the 1st trigger
sqeeze at max pressure and 2nd sqeeze at half pressue sqeeze until all
round are discharged from the cylinder. All revolvers that I have fired feature
the ability to cock the hammer back at each shot if so desired.
Double action only semi-pistols and revolvers have the same trigger pressure
for each pull and so do single action revolvers. double action
revolvers after loading the cylinder you only need to pull the trigger to
fire the revolver; double action only semi-pistols need to have the slide
pulled back to chamber the first round and to cock the hammer for external
and internal (hammerless) to fire them and each trigger pull will also be
max trigger pressure. I have never seen a single action semi-auto pistol
only revolvers and they have to have the hammer manually cocked back
for every shot. Captlee

__________________

Last edited by captlee; 01-24-2008 at 12:07 AM.
captlee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 140
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I'd like to buy a paragraph, Alex.

__________________
Duck is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Default Sights

I started 9mm range shooting recently and use a Caracal or Sig 226. I wear glasses for reading so at 10 and 15 Meters I use my reading glasses to see the front sight clearly and the target is a blurr. At 20 and 25 meters I tried without my glasses (just safety glasses of course) and could see the target but the sights of course are blurred.

What does an experienced shooter do? if in the field there's no time to put on glasses so how does one train to become an accurate shooter, with or without reading glasses? I am told that the front sight is all important. Any ideas most welcome.

__________________
Parry-Jones is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984cj View Post
[B]There is another option which is Double Action Only (DAO) this is simply a revolver or pistol that can't be fired in single action. Examples Glock pistols and I think that Berretta makes a version of the 92 that is DOA and the Browning BDA is DAO.
Any hammerless revolver like the Else Arrrr.



And the Elsie Pea.

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-26-2010 at 06:20 AM.
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parry-Jones View Post
I started 9mm range shooting recently and use a Caracal or Sig 226. I wear glasses for reading so at 10 and 15 Meters I use my reading glasses to see the front sight clearly and the target is a blurr. At 20 and 25 meters I tried without my glasses (just safety glasses of course) and could see the target but the sights of course are blurred.

What does an experienced shooter do? if in the field there's no time to put on glasses so how does one train to become an accurate shooter, with or without reading glasses? I am told that the front sight is all important. Any ideas most welcome.

First, usually the new members stop by the introduction thread and let us know a bit about themselves.

Second, the date of the last post is displayed in the upper left of the heading when you read a post.

Third, welcome to the forum. You will find there are members here that can help you with this. Just give it a day or so once traffic on the site picks back up.
__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Default Forum:

Thanks for the guidance, will intro in the right forum.

I was interested in the single vs double action forum as I found the Sig 226 threw me off at first in that it is both. So the question to this forum is why have both DA and SA? what is the advantage?

PJ

__________________
Parry-Jones is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Willow Spring,NC
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984cj View Post
Single action-
When referring to a revolver it means that you have to pull the hammer back with your hand or thumb every time you want to fire a shot(cock it and then pull the trigger) Examples are Colt Single Action Army(SAA) Ruger Blackhawks, Ruger Vaquero, Ruger Super Blackhawk and MOST common percussion cap revolvers.

When referring to a Semi Automatic pistol it means that you have to manually cock the hammer for the first shot but not on subsequent shots because the slide cocks the hammer for you. Examples are Colt 1911 style pistols and Browning High Powers.

Double Action
For revolvers it means that when you pull the trigger it cocks the hammer and then fires the pistol (albeit very quickly). For a revolver this must be done for every shot. Most double action revolvers can also be fired in single action mode as well. Examples (in my experience) are Most revolvers with a swing out cylinder.

For a Semi Automatic pistol means that when the hammer is not cocked you can pull the trigger and it will cock and fire the pistol. you do not have to cock and fire the pistol with the trigger for every shot because the slide cocks the hammer when it cycles. This type of action is sometimes referred to a Double Action/Single Action (DA/SA) Example FEG P9

There is another option which is Double Action Only (DAO) this is simply a revolver or pistol that can't be fired in single action. Examples Glock pistols and I think that Berretta makes a version of the 92 that is DOA and the Browning BDA is DAO.
That was a very helpful answer, and explained clearly, Thank Yo, as well !
__________________
ajnucch is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Colt Single Action Army in .357 SingleAction Revolver Handguns 13 08-04-2011 08:38 PM
Confused: Double Action Only ? ravenslay3r General Handgun Discussion 10 03-27-2011 12:11 PM
single stack to double herp_man2003 AK & SKS Discussion 6 05-20-2009 04:57 AM
double or single action ? shadow Semi-Auto Handguns 4 11-11-2008 02:12 AM
Colt 1873 Single Action Revolvers (Reproductions) Boris General Handgun Discussion 10 04-18-2008 07:39 PM