Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What pistol would you suggest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What pistol would you suggest?

Often there is a post someone new to pistols asking what to buy. Here is a new twist, an experienced shooter asking what should I consider? I have a fair amount of training. I have been carrying concealed for 15+ years. I make it to the range at least twice a month. Over the years I have carried revolvers and semi autos, .380, .38spl, .357, 9mm, .40 and .45 acp. I believe all are good calibers (well maybe not the .380 but it fits in a pocket easy). I have never carried a pistol I didn’t believe could save my life with out question if needed. Steel frame or polly frame each have there benefits and I like them both. Capacity isn’t a major concern as I don’t live in a war zone and I’m reasonably confidant with my shot placement at a threat distance (15 yards/45 feet for me). I’m also a lefty strong side but practice weak side as well. Caliber has to be something readily available as I want reasonable priced ammo for practice and several options for defense ammo. I carry an S&W M&P 45 now; it has severed me well for several years and thinking about retiring her to the locker with honors. I don’t know if I will make a change but with the brain trust here I expect I will be checking out some new pistols. Price has to be under $800

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2010, 03:07 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

These days, I'm really liking the Kahr Polymers and the Walther PPS in 9 and .40. They're all nearly identical in size, capacity, performance and proven reliability. They're all light, well-balanced and "handy"... Kahr CW series is lowest in cost. If you're interested in even smaller/easily concealed... the Kahr PM's are really popular now.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 12-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

WDB how about the sp101 or the LCR. Lightweight and concealable. I'm sure Cane will be around with this suggestion as well. I myself am thinking about adding one to the arsenal. Lighter to carry than my XD40.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

I would like to suggest a...nevermind, you know what I was going to say.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

sigma OR glock SHI WHICH ONE?

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:52 AM   #6

I'd suggest the one I just bought, an older single action .22 revolver.
I have been shooting since I was a young child, but every time I shoot one, I still hear my Old Mans advice over my shoulder.
Greatest training I ever had, and the .22 ammo is as cheap as it gets

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 12-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Have you looked at the Springfield XD series?
I bought a XD 45 Tactical and was really impressed with the 'black gun'. No failures with hard ball or some of the fancier JHP. Excellent trigger. YMMV.
The XD series come in 9mm, .40S&W and .45 ambi mag release for the 'southpaw'. I ain't trying to sell you one.
As another member mentioned the Sigma. I have a .40, but it does not have the 'ambi' features I would like if I were a southpaw. Don't want to get into any pi***ing contests about Sigmas or Springfields. Just a friendly suggestion.
My Sigma is my daily carry.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2756 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Being a fan of one specific model, I would have to recommend it. (whispering 1911a1).

There are models that will fit your requirements. And with the vast supply of aftermarket parts, you can fashion it any way you want and still have one of a kind. The XD line is still limited that way.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think the Ruger LCR 357 is IMHO the ideal carry gun. Plenty of power, light weight and concealable with the plus of practicing with 38Spl ammo.

If you haven't shot (in a while) the Browning Hi-Power 9mm I think you may find it a real under-appreciated jewel in the CCW world where heaver clothes are worn.

Both these guns are natural pointers for me. They are the only two guns I can trust for consistent COM hits with hip shots.

Both will also come in under your Budget. (If you get a vintage BHP.)

I got mine on GunBroker a year ago for $500. They're out there if you do your homework.

When Gorknoids was down last winter he shot the BHP and I have used his quote as my siggy several times;

A few weeks ago I'd have only offered you one answer, and then I shot Cane's Hi-Power. I love my XD 9, but I'd have sex with that Browning, buy it a car, and get a picture of it tattooed on my face.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #10

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I join the recommendation about the Walther PPS. I have both the 9 and the 40. Very easy to conceal and the 9 is fun to shoot. The 40 is a little on the snappy side due to the light weight of the gun. I also have the Kahr PM9, MK9, and the P380. All great guns and the two 9's are also easy to conceal. I personally carry owb most of the time but the PM9 and p380 are both good pocket guns. For one universal gun I think the Kahr PM9 is perfect since it can be carried in the pocket as well as either iwb or owb. Everyone elses advice is also good about trying as many as you can before you decide. I am fortunate since I did not do that but did an extensive amount of research on each gun and use each one for different styles of dress and I am of the belief that more than one gun is never enough. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Newest Threads