What is the norm? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

What is the norm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Weight is the biggest factor followed closely by size. The bigger and heavier a gun is the less likely your going to carry it every day all day. Its easy to slip a ruger lcp in a pocket and go to work in the office. Doing that with a couple pounds of solid steel 1911 in a office environment and keeping it covered is a bit harder.

That's the difference. Some folks can and do carry full size steel.guns but its a very tiny minority
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #12

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I don't know which sells the most, but have a feeling it is the XD's and M&P's rather than the 1911's. I dumped my 32 oz 1911 for a 23 oz compact half steel / half plastic 45 ACP for carry. Makes a big difference in a concealed carry pistol. Now if we could open carry that might be a different story.

Jim

Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #13

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Im young and I gotta say I think that polymer is the norm but, in my opinion, steel is superior in every way except for cost and weight.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #14

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

I don't deferentiate. There isn't enough difference in my mind to sway me either way.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Last edited by sputnik1988; 09-09-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #15

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 175

There is no lightweight pistol that I enjoy shooting. Everything I own , except the Nano, is all steel or alloy/steel. The heavier pistols are easier to shoot, the lighter pistols make better pocket guns. My Sig P-6, at 2 lbs loaded, disappears in a Crossbreed supertuck, and I can carry it all day comfortably. For waistband carry , thin is probably more important than weight, hence the popularity of decent sized .380's .
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Old 09-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #16

Liked 353 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I believe you're right about polymer's popularity eclipsing that of classic metal-framed pistols.

It's somewhat a generational evolution. My favorite guns to shoot at the range are metal-framed 1911s (and their direct descendants) as well as a Ruger MK3. By 'descendants', I'm referring to BHP and CZ 75b for me. I really like the way each of these guns perform for me.

But many current polymer guns seem to excel when it comes to utility. You can get a supremely reliable polymer pistol for $400-700. It will generally be high capacity. It will stand up to abuse and show limited signs of wear. Mags and accessories are generally both common and affordable. And it will be significantly lighter than a metal framed gun.

The metal framed gun will look better. In many cases it will perform better for the shooter, especially in a slow-fire range setting. But it will be heavier, easily scarred by common use, and in many cases will cost a few hundred $ more.

I like and have several examples of both. Love 1911/BHP/CZ/alloy Sigs. But a quality polymer handgun has a number of pragmatic qualities in it's favor IMO. Metal-framed pistols seem like classic or luxury cars, while polymer equates to a small-medium SUV that also happens to get great gas mileage. It's not that the poly is perfect for any one thing, just that it's pretty darned good at most things.

Newest Threads