What is the norm?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What is the norm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default What is the norm?

I'm just curious. How many of y 'all out there consider polymer framed guns to be the norm, and steel or alloy framed guns to be the exception?

It seems like polymer framed guns are getting more and more and more common, and seem to outsell more traditional guns by significant amount. I could be wrong, but if not, why? Cost? Design? Tacti-cool appeal? What?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I'm just curious. How many of y 'all out there consider polymer framed guns to be the norm, and steel or alloy framed guns to be the exception?

It seems like polymer framed guns are getting more and more and more common, and seem to outsell more traditional guns by significant amount. I could be wrong, but if not, why? Cost? Design? Tacti-cool appeal? What?
well, just an observation and opinion on my part, but i think it's become about 50/50. many more gun makers are offering polymer pistols along with their steel or alloy pistols than just a few years ago. the more made by more gun makers, puts more of them available and more being sold.

i hink alot of it comes down to difference in weight and price. the pistols can be made cheaper than their steel or alloy counterparts from the same maker, and people are wanting lighter pistols for carry. the polymer pistols have come to be known to be reliable, accurate and are usually much lighter than the steel or alloy versions.

like i said, these are just my observations and opinions and not based on any concrete data or facts.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 132 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i hink alot of it comes down to difference in weight and price.
Yeah, pretty much. It seems everyone wants a low cost low weight carry gun, so poly wins every time. While I have very little plastic in my collection, I'm just as guilty of being enamored with THE SMALLEST LIGHTEST PISTOL EVER!!!! as everyone else.

Also, poly is way easier to mass produce. That FN/XD/M&P/Glock you've been looking for is typically readily available (for the most part), but who knows when the Colt you were drooling over in a magazine will actually make its way to a local store for you.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1707 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

All plastic pistols are ugly period!!!!!!! I think they have gained popularity mostly because of price and weight as Axxe has already said. I will be the first to admit they do have a place. I love the 1911's and the big revolvers but it is much easier to carry a light weight plastic gun. The true works of art are still made out of steel!!!!!
Axxe55 I like the new avatar!!!!!!! Sweet looking ride!!!!

Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I don't pay most poly game guns much mind. But I"m not a fan of most poly frame pistols. I don't think there's a norm per se. People like the stuff they like and that's what they see most so that's their norm.
As far as the market there are plenty of offerings form both genre of pistols so I can't see any being the exception now. A couple/few decades ago the poly frame would have been exotic and the steel the mainstream. Now days we have the steel, alloy, and poly frame all top choose from in several different flavors.
These days the norm is just a reliable pistol.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

none of my carry guns have steel frames. steel is HEAVY, polymer and aluminum are light.

you see a lot of poly and aluminum guns because of the enormous upsurge of concealed carry. not many people want to carry a steel framed handgun day to day

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #7

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
none of my carry guns have steel frames. steel is HEAVY, polymer and aluminum are light.

you see a lot of poly and aluminum guns because of the enormous upsurge of concealed carry. not many people want to carry a steel framed handgun day to day
I really think this is it. Every handgun I bought with CC in mind is alloy or polymer. Every steel frame gun I own was bought for the range, hunting or plinking.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
i think alot of it comes down to difference in weight and price.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockratt
All plastic pistols are ugly period!!!!!!! ... The true works of art are still made out of steel!!!!!
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
steel is HEAVY, polymer and aluminum are light.

Yes.

Agreed with all the above. I kind of feel like poly is the norm for most people, but that's just my opinion. I personally don't generally like plastic guns as much. But weight is important in a carry piece, although I believe I'd be willing to carry almost anything with a good gun belt and holster and maybe some suspenders.

Always have clean socks.

rockratt Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #9

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

The younger you are the more likely Poly is the norm. The older you are the more likely steel is the norm.

Being military I see more steel than polymer.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #10

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I have said before, and say again, that I think that in most circumstances the weight of a carry gun is not a big factor -- at least for me. I think weight -- or lack of -- is a vastly overrated factor in choosing a carry gun. Both of my usual choices for a daily carry would be considered on the heavy side, but don't notice them and it's not unusual for me to forget that I'm carrying.