what to look for, buying a cc gun. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

what to look for, buying a cc gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Have you checked the laws in Ecuador? I know that some countries south of the border regulate firearms by caliber civilians aren't allowed to own "military" calibers, which can vary from country to country.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 05-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #12

Liked 353 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailypoe View Post
I'm going to be getting the heck away from north america, soon.
ecuador only allows you two ( official ) firearms, and i want a concealable handgun and and ar 15 or some such.
Now you've altered the parameters a bit.

If I was to have only two guns, one of them might be a shotgun (and bear in mind, I don't particularly enjoy shooting shotguns). It's just the ultimate survival/home defense/hunting weapon. And since I can only have two weapons, I'll spend a bit here and buy something like a 22" FN SLP (semi-auto, 8+1, about $1000 USD). Long enough to hunt with, short enough to be practical for interior defense. That said, there's nothing not to like about an AR-15.

But anyway, back to the pistol. My choice would be 9mm. 40sw is fine, 357mag is impressive, and 45acps are really cool. But I don't think anything is quite as practical for an "only" pistol as a 9mm. The benefits are capacity, an adequate defense round, extremely common caliber, and affordability. In your case I'd choose something along the lines of a Glock 19 (and I'm not a Glock fan). Small enough to conceal if need be, with enough size and capacity to operate like a full-framed pistol. If you don't mind carrying a bit more weight, look into some of the options from CZ (model 75/variants) and Sig (P228/229).

Kel-Tec makes a decent gun. I myself have two Kel-Tecs. But I'd never choose one as my only pistol. They're made to be compact carry guns and are quite reliable in that function, but aren't especially hearty weapons.

If I could have only two guns, choosing weapons that fit the "jack of all trades" description would be paramount. The Glock 19 is just that. Or maybe a G23 (40sw) with a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel ($100-125), which would make your "one pistol" a bit more versatile.

Last edited by sweeper22; 05-26-2011 at 12:52 AM.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:24 AM   #13
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Taily,
The BEST thing you can do is find a range that rents, get some training, shoot several firearms and find what fits you best. What works for me may not work for you. Everyone has an opinion but when it comes to a personal defense firearm the only way to know if it is the right one for you is to spend sometime shooting before you buy. As I mentioned get some training as that will truly improve your ability to use the firearm if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Don't be afraid of the mouseguns. I carry one daily myself (S&W Bodyguard 380). However, I'm not sure it would make the grade if I only could keep two.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #15

Likes Given: 3

Default t y

thanks everyone i never knew gun nuts were such nice & friendly people , kinda contraindicts what the mainstream media tells u , doesn't it ?

i'm pretty-much dead set on th' p11 for concealed at this point, and i do want it for concealed, otherwise it'd obviously be a nice, shiny glock. I don't rly have the luxury of owning a big set of guns, ( officialy. ) hey there's a range near my house but i think it's military. I'll try to find a nice shooting range. If i was trapped on a desert isle, i'd obviously want a nice revolver with a few parts and a nice bore and calibre, but if my gun breaks, i could always go head on down to the seedy part of town and procure one to tide me over don't ever want to be without home defense .
i'm gonna have dogs and everything and live in the hills and smoke a big, home-grown cigar every day and play soccer.
.. .. thanks for helping me on my quest to make the world a bit safer. )

Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailypoe View Post
thanks everyone i never knew gun nuts were such nice & friendly people , kinda contraindicts what the mainstream media tells u , doesn't it ?

i'm pretty-much dead set on th' p11 for concealed at this point, and i do want it for concealed, otherwise it'd obviously be a nice, shiny glock. I don't rly have the luxury of owning a big set of guns, ( officialy. ) hey there's a range near my house but i think it's military. I'll try to find a nice shooting range. If i was trapped on a desert isle, i'd obviously want a nice revolver with a few parts and a nice bore and calibre, but if my gun breaks, i could always go head on down to the seedy part of town and procure one to tide me over don't ever want to be without home defense .
i'm gonna have dogs and everything and live in the hills and smoke a big, home-grown cigar every day and play soccer.
.. .. thanks for helping me on my quest to make the world a bit safer. )

Gun nuts All the reasonable advice and I get the impression you are mocking the people who honestly tried to answer your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #17

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Gun nuts All the reasonable advice and I get the impression you are mocking the people who honestly tried to answer your questions.
sorry but i thought it was a term of endearment here , i'm a proud gun nut.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

For me a reasonably priced compact gun is the Rugers LCP 380 less than three hundred dollars. Accurate, compact, concealable, and lethally potent.

Then for my primary carry there is the Smith & Wesson 457:
s-w-457.jpg  

Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #19

I'm in a gun family. This is what we carry:
Me: Glock 26
My father: Glock 26
My brother: Glock 26
Wife: Springfield XD9 subcompact, previously mine (she stole it)
Mother-in-law: Ruger LC9
Father-in-law: switches often, just got a P290.
Uncle-in-law: Rohrbaugh 9mm

We all obviously stick with smaller 9mm handguns that are still relatively easy to aim. Of the above, all are good guns except the P290. I'm not a fan.

My blog - I sell nothing don't worry.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #20

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

From a recent post:

Canebrake's Free Advice for CCW Selection (Not BUG)
  1. Your CCW should be as large as you can carry with some level of comfort, good concealment and as potent as you can shoot accurately.
  2. Your CCW MUST fit your hand perfectly.
  3. You MUST be able to use the controls of your CCW with both strong AND weak side hands.
  4. Your CCW MUST be of the highest quality construction that you can afford.
  5. You and your CCW MUST be accurate enough to consistently hit a paper plate at 7 meters with rapid fire.
  6. Your CCW should be a caliber (see #1 above) of common size and which is readily available.
  7. A CCW is only as good as the quality of the holster and belt that carries it! In your CCW budget you need to include, at minimum*, $150 for the carry rig. (*each should cost ~$75)

MUST = NO compromise
should = FEW compromises

This advice comes with the;

what to look for, buying a cc gun. - General Handgun Discussion

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello