what to look for, buying a cc gun.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > what to look for, buying a cc gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 3

Default what to look for, buying a cc gun.

hey all, new here, this will be my first post.
im on the market and i'm looking for a nice handgun
, the problem being, i really don't know anything. : ) i want to conserve money, but i rly don't care as long as it's not exorbitant, too expensive would be something like 1500 + out of the box. i don't want anything flashy.
I'd like it to be light, it needs to be reliable, and it has to be concealable.
I have several questions. :
• Is there any functional difference from a cc or " compact " gun and a regular hangun ? , because I keep hearing that you don't want this or that as your main weapon. : s : /
• what do you think about " mouse " guns, such as the kel tec p3at ?? ??
? any difference in functionality / accuracy here ? they seem toop light to be true.
• ... what should i look for, in my price range ? what matches what i should look for ?
i was thinking either a nice glock g-19 or a mouse gun like, say, the kel tech .

thank you for your input,

peace, love, and ammo.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6022 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailypoe View Post
hey all, new here, this will be my first post.
im on the market and i'm looking for a nice handgun
, the problem being, i really don't know anything. i want to conserve money, but i rly don't care as long as it's not exorbitant, too expensive would be something like 1500 + out of the box. i don't want anything flashy.
I'd like it to be light, it needs to be reliable, and it has to be concealable.
I have several questions.
• Is there any functional difference from a cc or " compact " gun and a regular hangun ? , because I keep hearing that you don't want this or that as your main weapon.
• what do you think about " mouse " guns, such as the kel tec p3at ?? ??
? any difference in functionality / accuracy here ? they seem toop light to be true.
• ... what should i look for, in my price range ? what matches what i should look for ?
i was thinking either a nice glock g-19 or a mouse gun like, say, the kel tech .

thank you for your input,

peace, love, and ammo.
small guns are typically harder to control harder to aim at distance and much slower on accurate follow up shots typically carry fewer rounds

i dont like mouse guns they are very difficult to use, hard to shoot well very unpleasent to shoot meaning you dont wanna practice as much as you should. they also are very difficult to get functioning again in cases of failures. same as above only more so.

i suggest trying out rentals. find something that feels good to your hands.

my choices for small shooters is the colt new agent in 45 acp 7+1

and the bersa thunder 380 and thunder 380 plus 7+1 and 15+1 respectively which as small as i will go in a defensive gun both caliber and size

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #3

Personally, I wouldn't look for a pocket gun as my only carry, maybe as a second, "backup" weapon. I think as has already been suggested, go to a range where they rent guns, and try a few different ones, from pocket to full size 1911's . See what feels best, you'll know when you hold one if it's right.
There are other considerations to think about for a concealed carry gun, width, length, weight. How much does it "print" when under a shirt,...etc..
My choice is a CW9, Kahr 9mm. It is less than an inch wide, 3 &1/2 in barrel, light weight,about 23oz's loaded, but you'll have to make your own selection. Take your time, try several before buying. Oh, the Kahr CwW9 is about $400, + or - , you can always find deals.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

There are a few things to be aware of.

We like new members to say "Hi" in the "Introductions" area.
We have a few stickys that are there to assist with CC.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-25-2011, 01:53 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

First off, I wouldn't get a small mouse gun as a primary carry gun, only use mouse guns as a backup gun.

Just as others have said, go to a gun store and put a few different ones in your hand and see what's comfortable to you. If you can get to a range that rents guns, then do that and try a few out.

Being a beginner, you probably want something that's easy to take apart and clean, so I'm going to recommend taking a good look at Glocks and Springfield XD's.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
Welcome to the forum!

First off, I wouldn't get a small mouse gun as a primary carry gun, only use mouse guns as a backup gun.

Just as others have said, go to a gun store and put a few different ones in your hand and see what's comfortable to you. If you can get to a range that rents guns, then do that and try a few out.

Being a beginner, you probably want something that's easy to take apart and clean, so I'm going to recommend taking a good look at Glocks and Springfield XD's.
again, i'm really a recent initiate into the ways of guns. rly clueless , really.
I've shot a pellet gun, .22 , and hunting rifles quite a bit.

i'm just looking for a few general guideposts in my search.
i'm a glock man myself, whatever's simple to maintain and won't break, kna' mean ?
... it's apparent mouse gun's can't handle or shoot like a regular 9, asides being underpowered. .. i'd rly like to know how i'm going to hide sthg the size of a regular pistol on my thigh or wherever, tho. it seems to me like open carry would be a job for the side of my leg.
and the weight is just so tempting. hm. I'm in
Canada , land of the cowed, home of us slaves, so i can't rly rent guns like that, .. thank you for your input .. ..

Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 AM   #7

Default can't afford such luxuries .

I'm not looking for some ting to p lay around with for a long time, in fact
, I'm going to be getting the heck away from north america, soon.
ecuador only allows you two ( official ) firearms, and i want a concealable handgun and and ar 15 or some such .
if it means it'll never break, I'd be prepared to shell out much more than usual.
.380 up would do it for me, .22 simply does not have enough stopping power, in my experience .

Old 05-25-2011, 04:19 AM   #8

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

No matter what anyone says there is no wrong choice. You can carry a 22 single shot derringer or a Winchester model 70 in .458. Whatever you are comfortable with. Alot of people that carry have more than one gun and choose depending on what they will be doing that day or just how they feel that day. You have only mentioned auto pistols. Some of us carry revolvers. Revolvers are safe, simple, reliable, and often easy to shoot accurately. But most only are 5 or 6 shots. Listen to everyone but make up your own mind about what you like.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:28 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always preferred revolvers over semi auto's less parts. I've carried Taurus model 66 in .357 magnum but I can also shoot 38 special out of it, never had one problem out of it, always fires except for two missfires I can remember. and that was after over 2000 rounds over a period of a year and a half.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #10

Default p

i'm thinking the p11 right now. i'e kind of fallen in lov with it already.
that or the p9. revolvers are not my type due to theri low capacity.
desert island gun, maybe. bury me with a revolver, but i'll go down with my semi-auto .