What kind of safety is this?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What kind of safety is this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default What kind of safety is this?

I'm looking at a new smaller framed carry pistol than my SA XD. The two I've looked at so far are the Beretta Nano, and Ruger LCP. These both have something that I'm not used to, and thats that the slide locks back and will not release until you remove the magazine. I was thinking its some sort of new safety, but I can't think of what it would actually add to the safety of a pistol.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborns View Post
I'm looking at a new smaller framed carry pistol than my SA XD. The two I've looked at so far are the Beretta Nano, and Ruger LCP. These both have something that I'm not used to, and thats that the slide locks back and will not release until you remove the magazine. I was thinking its some sort of new safety, but I can't think of what it would actually add to the safety of a pistol.
Most semi-autos will not release the slide on an empty mag unless you depress the slide stop lever. The follower in the mag is what engages the slide stop, as long as the mag is present the stop will stay engaged. If the slide could release on an empty mag it would require an extra racking on reload...a life threatening extra step in a life or death situation.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #3

Likes Given: 1

Ok, that makes sense. For some reason I was thinking I could hit the slide stop lever even on an empty mag (on my XD), and the slide would go forward. I need to check that out to make sure.

Thank you.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #4

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborns View Post
Ok, that makes sense. For some reason I was thinking I could hit the slide stop lever even on an empty mag (on my XD), and the slide would go forward. I need to check that out to make sure.

Thank you.
I think that what jpyle was saying
Thats the only way to make the slide go forward with a mt mag-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 11-24-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #5

Liked 2128 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 463

My LCP does not lock back on the last round. It has a manual slide catch. The slide catch will release when depressed with or without the mag in it. It will also release if the slide is pulled to the rear. Guns of this size really don't benefit much from a lock on empty slide release. If you run it empty and put a second mag in (a subject of debate in another thread on concealed carry guns) manipulating a small slide release may actually take more fine motor skill than simply racking the slide.

Oh, and the LCP has no mag safety, so if you drop the mag with a round in the chamber it is still hot.

I can't speak with authority on the slide lock on the Nano.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 11-24-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #6

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Monetary restrictions would be helpful to know.

Sig P238

They're overpriced for my budget (this coming from guy who paid 2k+ for several watches), but still if ya got the funds, they are the bees knees.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #7

Liked 1816 Times on 1011 Posts
Likes Given: 1196

I have slide release levers on most of my pistols. However I use none of them. Most people train themselves to grab the slide and pull back and let go. That way no matter what gun you are using it will work the same.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.