Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   What kind of safety is this? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/what-kind-safety-76937/)

dborns 11-23-2012 06:20 PM

What kind of safety is this?

I'm looking at a new smaller framed carry pistol than my SA XD. The two I've looked at so far are the Beretta Nano, and Ruger LCP. These both have something that I'm not used to, and thats that the slide locks back and will not release until you remove the magazine. I was thinking its some sort of new safety, but I can't think of what it would actually add to the safety of a pistol.

Jpyle 11-23-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dborns (Post 1024511)
I'm looking at a new smaller framed carry pistol than my SA XD. The two I've looked at so far are the Beretta Nano, and Ruger LCP. These both have something that I'm not used to, and thats that the slide locks back and will not release until you remove the magazine. I was thinking its some sort of new safety, but I can't think of what it would actually add to the safety of a pistol.

Most semi-autos will not release the slide on an empty mag unless you depress the slide stop lever. The follower in the mag is what engages the slide stop, as long as the mag is present the stop will stay engaged. If the slide could release on an empty mag it would require an extra racking on reload...a life threatening extra step in a life or death situation.

dborns 11-23-2012 06:53 PM

Ok, that makes sense. For some reason I was thinking I could hit the slide stop lever even on an empty mag (on my XD), and the slide would go forward. I need to check that out to make sure.

Thank you.

HOSSFLY 11-24-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dborns (Post 1024528)
Ok, that makes sense. For some reason I was thinking I could hit the slide stop lever even on an empty mag (on my XD), and the slide would go forward. I need to check that out to make sure.

Thank you.

I think that what jpyle was saying :o
Thats the only way to make the slide go forward with a mt mag-

SSGN_Doc 11-24-2012 03:19 PM

My LCP does not lock back on the last round. It has a manual slide catch. The slide catch will release when depressed with or without the mag in it. It will also release if the slide is pulled to the rear. Guns of this size really don't benefit much from a lock on empty slide release. If you run it empty and put a second mag in (a subject of debate in another thread on concealed carry guns) manipulating a small slide release may actually take more fine motor skill than simply racking the slide.

Oh, and the LCP has no mag safety, so if you drop the mag with a round in the chamber it is still hot.

I can't speak with authority on the slide lock on the Nano.

BeyondTheBox 11-24-2012 06:34 PM

Monetary restrictions would be helpful to know.

Sig P238

They're overpriced for my budget (this coming from guy who paid 2k+ for several watches), but still if ya got the funds, they are the bees knees.

Rick1967 11-24-2012 06:40 PM

I have slide release levers on most of my pistols. However I use none of them. Most people train themselves to grab the slide and pull back and let go. That way no matter what gun you are using it will work the same.