What is keyholing?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What is keyholing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is keyholing?

I have a little cheaper .380 that I really like to shoot but every time i shoot it leaves huge holes in the paper. I have heard the term keyholing an figured this has to be what this is called.What causes this? Does it affect saftey?I just want to make sure i understand what is going on an am not affecting mine or anyone else's saftey. Thanks guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2007, 01:47 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Keyholing is where the bullet enters the target sideways instead of straight on.

There are a number of things that can cause this, and is usually seen in reloaded ammo (for me anyway). Wrong powder selection, wrong bullet size for bore are 2 that come to mind. A barrel that is bad at the muzzle (dinged, oversize) will do this as well.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 09-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bullets have to spin to keep them from tumbleing, and the longer the bullet the faster they have to spin. It is very common that is short cheaper handgun that they do not get the nessary spin on the bullets due to long throughts, oversized bores or shallow rifleings or what ever and the bullets often tumble and key hole. As long as the gun is sound they are safe to shoot, they are just not accurate.

Catfish
Ohio