Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What? Huh? In the ear...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Everyone is different- but most folks say they never heard the gun.
This is what I've heard and it makes me wonder if there is some sort of superhuman protection--through intense adrenaline--of one's hearing when truly in a life or death situation, especially a short-term thing.

My vocation and my main avocation (very closely related) require perfect hearing. I am more sensitive than most, not bragging. It is like saying I am balding...it is just plain true. Thus, I am more (is worried the word?) concerned about maintaining my hearing.

Those electronic muffs seem like a good way to go. At least you could hear talking.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
How do soldiers handle the noise in a combat firefight? Most of us go deaf. Note that there is no smiley face attached. The veterans administration handles a lot of hearing aid requests.

An M16 is bad enough. now try 25 of them. add in a few belt fed firearms. toss in the recoiless weapons, such as the M72 LAW, an AT4. Season with the occasional claymore mine, detonating artillery or mortar shell, garnish with air support.

How will it affect you in a self defense situation? Everyone is different- but most folks say they never heard the gun.

My uncle is quite profoundly deaf now due to manning a coastal battery gun during WW2. You can't really be in the same room watching TV with him its turned up so loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
This is what I've heard and it makes me wonder if there is some sort of superhuman protection--through intense adrenaline--of one's hearing when truly in a life or death situation, especially a short-term thing.

My vocation and my main avocation (very closely related) require perfect hearing. I am more sensitive than most, not bragging. It is like saying I am balding...it is just plain true. Thus, I am more (is worried the word?) concerned about maintaining my hearing.

Those electronic muffs seem like a good way to go. At least you could hear talking.

+1 on electronic muffs - they are completely awesome.

I have quite reduced hearing in the upper register due to an ear infection when I was 6; went utterly stone deaf until an operation restored most - but not all - of my hearing (can relate to the 'can't clearly discern the speech on TV' thing, superc).

Was wearing those cheap hardware store muffs for my pistol holster course, and couldn't hear either the RO or the beeper - someone had to tap me on the shoulder when it sounded Bought a pair of electronic ones asap...its like having a hearing aid, noise suppression just kicks in with sharp sounds. I can hear people talking metres away...and don't have to lipread anymore (which I've been doing all my life).

Highly recommended.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 09-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #13

Now here's a question that deep down my instincts are screaming "WHAT A STUPID QUESTION!!!!!"

But here goes:

If someone broke in your house and you hear them down the hall, would you a) pick up your gun [duh...yes], b) pick up your tactical flashlight that you've trained to use [depends on conditions, but probably], and/or c) put on a pair of electronic ear muffs that you keep next to your bed.

I know it sounds stupid, but if 5 rounds of .45 acp in your hallway could cause irrevocable hearing loss, lasting a lifetime, would electronic earmuffs turned all the way up be helpful?

Here's what I think the answer will be: One cannot discern all-important information like distance and direction of noises with those earmuffs like one can with the naked ear, right? So putting on earmuffs could get you killed and it is better to experience hearing loss with your family safe, than it is to have no hearing loss but be dead or a family member shot.

Is that the answer?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #14

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37 View Post
This IS the perfect and correct answer
Not to mention the 1 or 2 seconds to locate and don the ears may be the difference between life and death.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-15-2010, 03:06 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

the few times ive fired in life or death type stuff i never really heard the shots i fired. adrenalin kinda tuned it out. had other things more important going on. i have fired a 44mag under a overhang at skunks before and it hurt the ears a lot. i think adrenalin makes a big diff. but its a good idea to do some un protected firing so you are aware what its like. slip off the hearing protection in a indoor range once or twice wont kill you.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:17 AM   #16

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Not to mention the 1 or 2 seconds to locate and don the ears may be the difference between life and death.
You all don't sleep with your ear muffs on?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 09-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #17

Default indoors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
The other day, for my last shot at an outdoor range I took off my ear protection and fired from my 9mm. My ears didn't ring or anything but the loudness was pretty strong...an understatement.

It made me really wonder what effect the extreme sound of a discharged firearm (especially many times, especially indoors) would have on me if I was ever in a critical self-defense situation.

If I was in my hall firing on an intruder coming toward me, or in an enclosed parking garage firing back after being shot in the arm during a bungled mugging attempt, what sort of physical response would I encounter concerning the sounds involved?

How do our marines or army in combat handle such extreme sounds in battle?

I just cannot imagine the extreme sounds involved in a gun battle, even of only a few rounds fired, especially since a .45acp 1911 is next to my bed.

Inside indoors ranges the hard flat surfaces mirror the sound in every direction, its almost unbearable, the sound is amplified because it cannot dissipate efficiently.

Those of you guys who played and experiment with gunpowder fireworks when kids will agree, no matter how big the explosion is not that bad because the open space, of course delivering a 105mm projectile is a deafening experience, back to the muffs

As for the gun battle rapid fire sounds just like firecrackers, the mortars are loud but not unbearable.

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Old 09-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #18

Liked 685 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1670

When I was a teenager, my idea of hearing protection was to plug my ears with my index fingers while the other guy was shooting. By the time I wised up and got protection, the damage was done, and my right ear (I'm right-handed) has noticably worse hearing than my left ear, to the point that I don't bother holding a phone to the right ear.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #19

Yeah, if you think hearing protection is uncool, imagine sleeping with ear muffs...

Old 09-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #20
ET1

When I was 12 my father gave my grand dad's 16 ga. single shot shotgun to me for my birthday. He taught me how to be safe with a firearm. The one thing that he neglected to tell me was to protect my hearing. I shot thousands of rounds out of that 16 ga. over the years. I didn't realize I needed to wear hearing protection until it was too late. Now I have a constant ringng in my ears and don't do so well in crowded rooms. I can't pick out an individuals voice to have a conversation with. Back in the sixties no one I knew used any type of hearing protection. So now we are the hard of hearing generation. I guess the music will make this newest generation the same way, only there are a lot more of these guys listening to music then there were kids booming shotguns in my day.

Newest Threads