Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What handgun would be more suitable for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What handgun would be more suitable for me?

Hey guys (and the occasional gal Hehe) I was wondering what handgun would suit me the best an m1911 variation or an m9 variation? I'm 6' 2", and fairly thin (about 125-130 lbs). I don't have my license yet but i want a few opinions before I get a licence and buy a pistol

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #2

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmbieWolf
Hey guys (and the occasional gal Hehe) I was wondering what handgun would suit me the best an m1911 variation or an m9 variation? I'm 6' 2", and fairly thin (about 125-130 lbs). I don't have my license yet but i want a few opinions before I get a licence and buy a pistol
Whats your use? CC? Range only? Both?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #3

Home and property defence/range shooting

Old 03-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

A 9mm is cheaper to feed. A Beretta is one of my least favorite platforms. Too big for the caliber. A 1911 is more of a "thinking man's gun". Far better suited to gun fighting than the M-9 regardless of caliber.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #5

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

You're the only one who can answer that question, I've got a Beretta 40 and I love it, it's all about what fits you well and the features you want, some guys, like robocop here don't like Beretta, many do like them, I for one cannot stand Glocks, or really any striker fired pistol, I like a hammer and a safety and a decent trigger, research the calibers and features and try some out and get what feels good, an opinion is like an *******, everyone has one.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #6

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The world's your oyester -- other than new Taurus revolvers there're so many great choices available! Don't limit yourself.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

If you have not received any training, I would highly recommend getting that first.

Go to a range and watch how people do with different handguns. Those who seem accurate or proficient would be the ones to observe most. Watch their style and ask questions.

Remember, even as a bystander, hearing and eye protection are required.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #8

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
a 9mm is cheaper to feed. A beretta is one of my least favorite platforms. Too big for the caliber. A 1911 is more of a "thinking man's gun". Far better suited to gun fighting than the m-9 regardless of caliber.
echo echo echo echo

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #9

If you are not a regular shooter you may want to go shoot some to find out if a 45 is too much recoil for you. Which ever firearm you purchase you have to practice with it. Get to a range and go often. As others have said 9mm is considerably cheaper to shoot and in my opinion is a far better caliber choose for a new shooter.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #10

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

How a handgun feels in your hand is a huge factor. You can read all about guns, do as much research as you want, even have your heart set on a certain brand....BUT until you actually hold that weapon and fire it you will not know. I will use myself as an example. I did 10 months of handgun research over in Aghanistan and had decided that I wanted an XDM40. Until I got home and shot a buddies and realized I didnt like the way it felt in my hand and I hated the trigger. I ended up with a Ruger instead. So all that being said go hold the gun you think you want and if you can shoot it. Then make your desicion.

OIF Veteran
OEF Veteran
Lifetime VFW Member
NRA Member