What handgun have you shot that kicked the worst? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What handgun have you shot that kicked the worst?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #71
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2725 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 1388

As far as a handgun. It was a Thompson Contender 30-30 Cal. Pistol 10" barrel loaded hot with 168 Grain Sierra Boat Tail HP Match Bullets for 200 yard silhouette competition. Shot it from the Creedmoor position laying down on my back with the weapon supported against my right leg! When the pistol went off it would recoil and be aiming straight up in the air 90 degrees from the direction it was when I pulled the trigger. It had some recoil or (Kick as some call it!) But extremely accurate. 4" groups at 200 yards. And very competitive!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-17-2012, 04:01 AM   #72

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

This is the most enjoyable thread I've read in a long time. And I'm amazed at some of the stuff we've done. How dopey, and overall lucky, we seem to be.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #73

I have seen a few comical and scary moments. My aunt hit her head with a Colt Anaconda .44 mag. It has good kick, but S&W's 500 has it beat. IMHO Small pistols with little mass can catch you off guard like the Beretta Bobcat. It is just a .22LR but is so small and light. The Airlight .357 S&W is no fun to shoot .357 rounds with, but .38 spl is a blast to shoot with it. Again a small very light frame but now with a high power load. Any .50 cal (cartridge) rifle has good kick. I have fired .50BMG and .50 Sharps. They were both not very comfortable as far as recoil. I think the Sharps caught me off guard like the .22 Bobcat. Too much black powder can make your shoulder sore too! Small light handguns tend to catch people unaware and results can be dangerous. With such a small mass the kickback is a lot more pronounced. I have a .22 tiny swing bbl Derringer, but am too scared to fire it. It is old and was found in the trash. I fired it in a vise with some twine on the trigger. I am not into powder burns, unless they prevent worse injuries or death. Those small pistols that are super light weight bug me the most. Maybe not the most kick, but just hard to get a grip on and control. They can really surprise you!

Last edited by Satchmo; 06-20-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #74
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7793 Times on 4680 Posts
Likes Given: 9797

I have shot a Sharps, too. I think that was the most painful long gun I've ever shot. Not that I've shot that many. But dang, it hurt.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #75

I see Desert Eagle mentioned a lot. We used to shoot at these palm trees out at a wildcat mining site with them for hours. The newer model has a shock absorbing cylinder in it. We did not have that one. I always got nailed by some small frame pistol with no mass and a big load in it. The way the Desert Eagle looks you ARE bracing for some recoil. 454 Cassul is about the same as the 500 S&W.IMHO and again you anticipate serious recoil. My boss got into those Thompson Center Arms long range rifle chambered pistols. He had nice brakes and compensators on his. The Airweights with no mass to counter the recoil are nasty. Big frame equals more mass and surface area to hang onto. Trust me when the time comes that you are looking at a guy trying to kill you with a weapon, including his vehicle, on purpose you will be so jacked up on adrenaline the recoil will be akin to a starter's pistol or cap gun. I know it was that way for me. I was so scared everything was in such slow motion I could see the slide moving and the shell tumbling out the port taking forever to reach the ground. Pray you never get to experience this! I had a Browning Hi Power that evening. I admit it shot beautifully, but it was like a slo mo cap gun that night.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #76

Yeah the Sharps really F'in hurts. That butt stock is none to comfortable without shooting it! Metal makes a poor recoil pad. The first BMGs I shot were locally hand made bolt action 2000 yard rifles. Not too bad with the brake and recoil pad. Still not good! I was not going to trade working 3-5 months on some guy's new gun shop for a rifle, but they were nice! I was honored he let me fire it and check it out, but I need cash flow.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #77

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I just found this thread, the most painful gun I've shot was a 500 S&W mag with the short barrel. Almost broke my damn nose.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED