What handgun have you shot that kicked the worst? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

What handgun have you shot that kicked the worst?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158
I got to shoot a S&W 500 saturday. I only shot it once. Thats just to much gun. It made my hand alittle tender for the rest of the day.
It helps to have shooting gloves. Mines just q pair of heavy duty leather gloves with a lot of lining and the thumb and index finger removed.

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 06-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #62

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney

It helps to have shooting gloves. Mines just q pair of heavy duty leather gloves with a lot of lining and the thumb and index finger removed.
Mechanics gloves that are padded are best.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #63

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney

Something like that is on my list o crap to get. I want some for my lever action. It beats up the back of my fingers when I'm out plinkin

Old 06-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #64
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Bond Arms Snake Slayer (derringer) with Winchester Defender .410 Bore PDX1 410 3" (Defense Discs and BB Shot). Ouch.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #65

Liked 113 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Shot a few...

Any number of revolvers with exposed back straps and full charge ammunition can be brutal in extended shooting sessions (think S&W M19 with full charge loads and S&W M25 with hard ball).

I shot two rounds from a .45 ACP derringer once. Hard ball loads. That was pretty severe. (And I decided forever to eschew derringers for self defense at that point.)

The biggest handgun I ever fired was also the one with the most recoil. An old friend had a Lancaster 'howdah' pistol; chambered for .577 Snyder - a British military rifle cartridge. He cheated a bit and fired .28 gauge shotgun shells through it. I've filed (in the sense of 'put away and cannot find') the pictures of me shooting it. I'm pushed back off my forward foot, my hat is falling forward off my head and the left shoulder seam of my shirt is ripped. Hands and gun are up at about a 45 degree angle from the horizontal. It is a bell ringer.
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #66

Liked 446 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 9

when i was 15 or so the neighbor let me shoot his thomspon center with a 10or 12 inch .223 barrel.

it probably wasn't the hardest kicking handgun i've ever shot but definatly the most unexpected recoil. & holy sh*t was it loud

Old 06-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #67

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 59

This reminds me of shooting lessons I had long ago with the gentleman who taught me to shoot. I was a teenager. Up till then the biggest revolver I'd shot was his .357 which wasn't too bad, but I'd only shot a few rounds with it. What I didn't know was it was loaded with .38's.

After that he broke out his 44mag Ruger Blackhawk with an 8" barrel. He was a master and quickly showed me he could easily hit a 12" target at 100yards multiple times, no problem. When he handed it to me I thought it couldn't be much tougher than the .357 so I decided to shoot it one-handed Dirty Harry style because I'd recently saw the movie and thought it was cool. He warned me not to do it but I was cocky. He said "hold on tight now", and I squeezed the trigger. The next thing I knew the hammer was stopped about 2mm from the bridge of my nose right between my eyes and there was a small trickle of blood running down my nose. Had I reacted a nano-second later it would've surely broke my nose! From that point on I listened intently.

Probably the most pain I've ever felt was after quickly shooting three boxes in a row of hot 12ga., 00-buckshoot in a High Standard police riot wood-stocked shotgun I'd converted to a pistol-grip. That was 20 years ago and I don't think my wrist has ever been quite the same.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #68

I have shot a 50AE once and once was all I wanted. My hand hurt for 30 minutes.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #69

I don't consider the .44 Mag to be painful unless it's one of the dark alloy frame beasts from the S&W custom shop but........ Years ago when I let my brother shoot my Ruger, after one shot he gave it back to me and said, "I'd rather be shot by it than to shoot it."

Old 06-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #70

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
Something like that is on my list o crap to get. I want some for my lever action. It beats up the back of my fingers when I'm out plinkin
A lot of cowboy action shooters do something like this:
6342528234792227862mnmquuu.jpg  

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs