Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What gun would you take to Protect you and your Family in the Woods for Camping Trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would probably care a 357 mag with buffalo bore 180 gr or 44 mag

Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #182

I've never felt more safe in any situation than when I have me 44 mag and Mossberg500 with 00 buck.

Why is the sky blue? GOD LOVES THE INFANTRY

Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #183

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bangbangjs View Post
I've never felt more safe in any situation than when I have me 44 mag and Mossberg500 with 00 buck.
I feel safer in the woods anyway, guns or no guns. Because while I may

have re-inserted myself into the food chain, I'm miles away from

the most dangerous animal of all...

Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #184

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I like one of the revolvers in 410/45 with a mix of 410 with shot, and 45 solids. The shot shells get great dispersal out of the short barrel, which is perfect for dealing with snakes and the like, while the 45 rounds give you the range and knock down power if you encounter a bigger threat, including the two legged kind. By alternating the different rounds in the chamber, you just keep pulling the trigger, no matter which threat it is, and sooner or later you'll get the desired result.

Of course, it depends on where you are. I'm thinking woods as in the area I live in Missouri. Somewhere where you might encounter grizzly, moose or other really dangerous big game, something bigger is in order.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #185

so as a member this will be my first post... YAY!. I know the thread is a couple of months old, but i wanted to just chime in also. As for a woods gun, depends on what kind of country really. I think alot of people are in agreement that if you are in black bear country a heavy weight 357 round and 12 gauge would be sufficient, though i personally would prefer slugs to buck shot as some stated, just bc of penetration, or lack there of for buckshot at distance. but if i were going into the woods and knew there was a potential for brown bears, id go with nothing smaller than a 10mm for handgun with more than one mag and thats pushing it, and at least a 270 or larger rifle versus a 357 and a shotgun. other parts of the country with bigger bears, personally myself id go bigger and say a 300mag or at least a larger caliber revolver if i had access to one, ex-454,460,500sw. But if there is no real threat of a bear, you would be fine from any other predator with just a good 22 mag or .17hmr, and they are easier to carry! im in North Carolina and the worst i can expect is a coyote or small black bear, so i am comfortable here with my 45 230gr fmj and 12 ga with slugs. But there again, depends on where you are and what you intend to run in to. A coyote, black bear, bigger brown bear, a charging moose, mountain lion, bobcat, prarie dogs, deer, skunks, or another person? each situation would require specific minimums but a well placed 17hmr, and i say well placed- headshot, would bring down most anything in north america, id doubt a angry bear though and wouldnt want to find out!

Old 01-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #186
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy216 View Post
so as a member this will be my first post... YAY!. I know the thread is a couple of months old, but i wanted to just chime in also. As for a woods gun, depends on what kind of country really. I think alot of people are in agreement that if you are in black bear country a heavy weight 357 round and 12 gauge would be sufficient, though i personally would prefer slugs to buck shot as some stated, just bc of penetration, or lack there of for buckshot at distance. but if i were going into the woods and knew there was a potential for brown bears, id go with nothing smaller than a 10mm for handgun with more than one mag and thats pushing it, and at least a 270 or larger rifle versus a 357 and a shotgun. other parts of the country with bigger bears, personally myself id go bigger and say a 300mag or at least a larger caliber revolver if i had access to one, ex-454,460,500sw. But if there is no real threat of a bear, you would be fine from any other predator with just a good 22 mag or .17hmr, and they are easier to carry! im in North Carolina and the worst i can expect is a coyote or small black bear, so i am comfortable here with my 45 230gr fmj and 12 ga with slugs. But there again, depends on where you are and what you intend to run in to. A coyote, black bear, bigger brown bear, a charging moose, mountain lion, bobcat, prarie dogs, deer, skunks, or another person? each situation would require specific minimums but a well placed 17hmr, and i say well placed- headshot, would bring down most anything in north america, id doubt a angry bear though and wouldnt want to find out!
Welcome aboard! Please stop by the Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA