Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What gun would you take to Protect you and your Family in the Woods for Camping Trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

JMHO- I'm more worried of people in the woods

than animals. Apart from an occasional bee sting

or mosquito bite, I've never had an animal do a

bad thing to me in 50 years+ on this rock, and

I've done a fair piece of hunting, fishing and camping

in North America...

Old 11-24-2011, 08:20 AM   #102

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN
Everyone always forgets to mention the must for a big-assed, sharpened cutting tool of some sorts, along as well. Never engage the wild outdoors without one...or 2.

That's what I have my big millitary issue ONTARIO M4 bayonet... along with my mossy 535 or mavrick 88 12 gauge and my trusty 3rd gen. Taurus pt 24/7 pro DS 40 Cal...

Old 11-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #103

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

We have a small cabin in Show Low AZ....up in the White Mountains. I spend a LOT of my time up there in the summer fishing, and in the fall hunting.

I have been carrying a Glock 20 in 10mm up there almost exclusively as over the last few years bear activity has increased dramatically. The CorBon 165gr JHP at 1250fps with 573ftlbs of energy. It is laser beam accurate, easy to manage recoil, carries fifteen rounds in the magazine with a sixteenth in the pipe, and will handle both big two-and-four-legged critters with aplomb.

I also have a Smith & Wesson 329PD scandium 4" .44Magnum (do NOT ask me why I bought that)...but I usually carry that while on horseback. I load it with 180gr LSWCHP .44 Special ammo in it, loaded to about 950fps. It is a thumper loaded with .44Spl ammo, but not unpleasant. It's obviously lightweight, and it is accurate as all get out. In the three years I have owned it...I have fired 18 full house .44 Mag rounds thorugh it with NO intention of firing any more. It's an AWESOME .44 Special...but a hand-wrecker in .44 Magnum. I also have a Rossi .44 Magnum lever action carbine, an old Colt Sporter AR, and my old Remington 870 cruiser shotgun in the gun safe up there. So...it's pretty well covered. I know camping and backpacking is a bit different as far as weight you can carry...but that is how I do it.

As an aside....there have been a number of BIGFOOT sightings up there over the last decade...in fact two have been within a mile of my cabin. So, I figure if I ever run into THAT hairy bastard...I'm a gonna BLAST'EM!

Obviously...a good 12 gauge shotgun with an assortment of buck and slug is a great in-camp gun. You really can't go wrong. My Dad carried a 5" Smith & Wesson Model 57 .41 Mag as a belt gun with a Marlin .41 Mag carbine (which I don't think they make any longer) as a combo. It worked out well for him.

I hope I have helped to further confuse the issue! Just give it some thought and you'll come up with works best for you.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #104

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
JMHO- I'm more worried of people in the woods

than animals. Apart from an occasional bee sting

or mosquito bite, I've never had an animal do a

bad thing to me in 50 years+ on this rock, and

I've done a fair piece of hunting, fishing and camping

in North America...
Yeah...but you gotta watch them damned squirrels...they're treacherous creatures!

Old 11-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #105

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would take my 45/70 guide gun its the perfect weight for me to carry + it has a heavy punch for anything.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #106

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman
We have a small cabin in Show Low AZ....up in the White Mountains. I spend a LOT of my time up there in the summer fishing, and in the fall hunting.

I have been carrying a Glock 20 in 10mm up there almost exclusively as over the last few years bear activity has increased dramatically. The CorBon 165gr JHP at 1250fps with 573ftlbs of energy. It is laser beam accurate, easy to manage recoil, carries fifteen rounds in the magazine with a sixteenth in the pipe, and will handle both big two-and-four-legged critters with aplomb.

I also have a Smith & Wesson 329PD scandium 4" .44Magnum (do NOT ask me why I bought that)...but I usually carry that while on horseback. I load it with 180gr LSWCHP .44 Special ammo in it, loaded to about 950fps. It is a thumper loaded with .44Spl ammo, but not unpleasant. It's obviously lightweight, and it is accurate as all get out. In the three years I have owned it...I have fired 18 full house .44 Mag rounds thorugh it with NO intention of firing any more. It's an AWESOME .44 Special...but a hand-wrecker in .44 Magnum. I also have a Rossi .44 Magnum lever action carbine, an old Colt Sporter AR, and my old Remington 870 cruiser shotgun in the gun safe up there. So...it's pretty well covered. I know camping and backpacking is a bit different as far as weight you can carry...but that is how I do it.

As an aside....there have been a number of BIGFOOT sightings up there over the last decade...in fact two have been within a mile of my cabin. So, I figure if I ever run into THAT hairy bastard...I'm a gonna BLAST'EM!

Obviously...a good 12 gauge shotgun with an assortment of buck and slug is a great in-camp gun. You really can't go wrong. My Dad carried a 5" Smith & Wesson Model 57 .41 Mag as a belt gun with a Marlin .41 Mag carbine (which I don't think they make any longer) as a combo. It worked out well for him.

I hope I have helped to further confuse the issue! Just give it some thought and you'll come up with works best for you.
Be caregul puttin one in a squach they are protected now, how the hell that is I dont know but dont shoot it big fine

Old 11-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #107

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Be caregul puttin one in a squach they are protected now, how the hell that is I dont know but dont shoot it big fine
Not protected here.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #108

Is he protected here in tx because believe it or not I've had a few incounters with what I believe is him I know I sound crazy but it's true I thought I was crazy...if it's legal and I see him again I'm gonna shoot him of he's protected I'll just take a pic lol

Old 11-25-2011, 02:11 AM   #109

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88
Is he protected here in tx because believe it or not I've had a few incounters with what I believe is him I know I sound crazy but it's true I thought I was crazy...if it's legal and I see him again I'm gonna shoot him of he's protected I'll just take a pic lol
Hey how.far from roswell do u live I shot up a ufo last night the sum a guns were tryin to steal my turkey I had in the smoker, looks like it went down round muleshoe texas so u wasnt seein a squach just a big ugly ass alien I shot down

Old 11-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Hey how.far from roswell do u live I shot up a ufo last night the sum a guns were tryin to steal my turkey I had in the smoker, looks like it went down round muleshoe texas so u wasnt seein a squach just a big ugly ass alien I shot down
Lol I'm about 100 mles north of Houston in a little twn called trinity