Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   What gun would you take to Protect you and your Family in the Woods for Camping Trip (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/what-gun-would-you-take-protect-you-your-family-woods-camping-trip-51332/)

CAMCHAMPION1988 11-07-2011 09:38 AM

What gun would you take to Protect you and your Family in the Woods for Camping Trip

You need something that is Reliable Probably a Revolver 12 Gauge Shotty Big Caliber .45acp,.357mag,.44mag bigger maybe, Maybe a Semiauto like a Glock which are one of the Most Reliable as you known and from my experience never a jam or ftf or fte in my experience. The only Big Caliber glock is the .45acp and 10MM the Most Powerful round for the Glock forget that .45gap round i have heard negative but i do not know from my own experience with it. I have not yet heard of or had a Revolver Failure but they can happen but not so far in my life.

You just never know what type of Animal or Deliverance type of character you might encounter LOL in the woods. My choice is a Colt Python .357mag and a Glock 21 .45acp Do you think those are good choices i think so. Even to those who say the .45acp round is underpowered.

What are your Guns for the Woods????? Please share pics as well if you got them

dragunovsks 11-07-2011 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Id say my .45 because it is always with me and id also take pardner pump 12 gauge with top folder loaded with 00 buck, couldnt post pic from my phone

Um ok i guess it did post, i tried four times but it said application crashed everytime, oh well. I feel like a dufus

762 11-07-2011 11:10 AM

i just took a trip to the mountains to go camping, hands down i'd take a 12 gauge. we were there for 3 days and saw 3 bears. heard coyotes both nights too

PanBaccha 11-07-2011 11:56 AM

If we are on alert for crazed woodsmen (Deliverance)
I'd have to say I'd take my S&W 457, which shoots 45ACP's.
But just lately I was immediately impressed with the Taurus
Public Defender revolver
, which shoots 45 long Colts & 410's
triple 000 buckshot. What it can do to a watermelon is absolutely amazing.

Click below:

http://youtu.be/ttFslPwNEuc

JonM 11-07-2011 12:06 PM

My rra ar15 with its a1 pencil barrel upper. Ultra light fast and ive been shooting a1 type ar15's for 25years. Im not a bear lover so they are pretty much shoot if its in my path and doesnt run off. But its not wildlife thats the main issue in the woods its the 2 legged ones that are the real threat.

Yes i know 556 isnt a bear hunting round but just camping isnt hunting bears.

NativH 11-07-2011 03:47 PM

In brown bear country, S&W 629 Classic 44 Mag with Buffalo Bore 305 gr lead, long flat nose round. When in less dangerous environs, with only two legged preditors, I carry my Ed Brown 5" 1911 with Ranger 230 gr +P "Talon" rounds and the wife has my G32 357SIG with Ranger T rounds also. Both are good for what ails you.;)

fmj 11-07-2011 04:25 PM

When i am out on my adventures i carry my S&W 686 .357 loaded with HV 158 gr HPs.

After watching the Ruger .44 mag carbine simply decimate pumpkins yesterday, (the 240 gr JHP's were causing as much/more damage than the 12 guage slugs w/ MUCH better accuracy) i am wanting a hand cannon in .44 mag now more than ever for those trips. I would say a Ruger Redhawk but i just dont like that much barrel in a hand gun.

Not sure i would go with the .45 acp, i LOVE my 1911 but it stays in the truck/camp when i am out in the woods....its great for the 2 legged varmints but is lacking in the "Dangerous game" catagory.

dunerunner 11-07-2011 04:57 PM

Remington 870 Marine or Tactical, Mossberg 590A1, Arsenal Saiga 12. Good for four legged and two legged predators!

sweeper22 11-07-2011 05:22 PM

I don't have an ideal woods pistol, but generally take my Ruger SP101 357mag (because it's small but has a decent bite) when I go biking way up into the mountains. For camping, I'd also consider a Sig P226 in 357sig.

The long gun I'd take camping would probably be a Marlin 336 (30-30). Good, simple, reliable utility rifle.

JTJ 11-07-2011 05:25 PM

In bear country I carry a Kimber Pepper Blaster. The park rangers dont like to see people carrying shotguns. I also carry my 357 for smaller predators. Some of the park rangers I am told are carrying the small tasers. The ones you have to touch the target to deliver the shock. It seems the arc and static noise when you light them up in the air are enough to scare the bears and most animals. I am trying to find more info on this before I trust it. When I was in Alaska many years ago, I carried a 12 gauge loaded with slugs and it would be my current choice if I did not get hassled.