What gun will you buy with your tax return? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What gun will you buy with your tax return?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I'm in the market for an AR. Looking like a DPMS. (unless i find a better deal at the Indy 1500 March 17th) stocking up on powder, primers and bullets and a safe upgrade.

I need more room, this current safe is packed to overflowing and this time i will get the fire rating. Its looking like Cannon is going to win that one. There are other safes with similar capacity and fire ratings but ONLY Cannon has a power outlet, usb and ethernet port built into the back of the safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Just got the last W2 in yesterday. Sending them off to my sister today. Hoping I'll have that Colt in hand in about a week to a week and a half.

I have been thinking, and my wife has been appalled at the price, so I may get a Springfield instead. I did some parts shopping and discovered a custom 1911 built just the way I want it is going to run about $1250 if I build it myself, so I may take a springfield to save money and learn a little about the 1911 by hands on experience, and then start buying parts one piece at a time later on.

My local sportsman's warehouse carries the springer GI in hard chrome for $550 or so, if they still have any in stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard View Post
The boss cleared me to spend around 1000; I know I am getting a 1911, but make and model depend on what is in stock in my area. I am partial to Springfield, but all in all, I am not too picky. There is a gun show this weekend, but I don't know that the tax fairy will have visited our direct deposit yet. Lets hope!
Go with the Springy guys. I have yet to regret purchasing mine 15 years ago!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #12

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

Go with the Springy guys. I have yet to regret purchasing mine 15 years ago!
I'll definitely be taking that into consideration. The only complaint I've heard about Springfield is the front sight coming off sometimes, but that shouldn't affect the model I want.

I have to ask, why the hell do you need ethernet and USB ports on a gun safe?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
fmj

Quote:
I'll definitely be taking that into consideration. The only complaint I've heard about Springfield is the front sight coming off sometimes, but that shouldn't affect the model I want.

I have to ask, why the hell do you need ethernet and USB ports on a gun safe?
I have TONS of digital media in this infernal box....well north of 20 gigs of music in MP3 format, (its a serious pain in the @$$ to reload and convert all that music...i have done it twice now thanks to computer crashes) well over two decades worth of family and wilderness photos (other than my grandpa and dads guns, the pictures are about the only things irreplaceable in the house) plus having converted most of the other photos to digital (wife worked for Fuji film for the first 15 years we were together and did all our film processing for free, i am sure you can imagine the size of the box of pictures we have) not to mention other important records etc.

You can lock your machine in the safe and run it remotely via usb or ether net. The power outlets are for interior lighting and dehumidification. Drilling a hole in the back or side of a safe to run power cords is 1, a pain the arse and 2, compromises fire rating.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

I'm not buying any guns this year. I am planing on spending some $ on tools & quite a few projects I've put off way to long. Brownells should be real happy with me come the end of February, the wife on the other hand.

image-2237464585.png  

Old 02-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #15

So you would put the computer in the safe? Wouldn't that not provide very good airflow?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
mcb

Liked 71 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
I try to work mine so that my refund is not enough to buy a tube of BBs......
Amen. I try to break even in April that way I have more of MY money year round.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.

I never get anything back so there's never a return to use to buy a new toy. Hmmmm...maybe that needs to change!

Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
fmj

Quote:
So you would put the computer in the safe? Wouldn't that not provide very good airflow?
I'm not sure i am going to put the machine in the safe....prolly just get a external hard drive loaded with the important stuff. The power outlet is mainly what i am after. But the 2 plug power outlet has the USB and ethernet integrated into it.

Liberty also offers the option....but its extra money to purchase and have installed by "qualified" individual. Cannon offers it standard.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #19

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.

I never get anything back so there's never a return to use to buy a new toy. Hmmmm...maybe that needs to change!
I know some people r gona say I'm dumb but, I have work take a extra 100 a month. It's just a easier way for me to save money.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158

I know some people r gona say I'm dumb but, I have work take a extra 100 a month. It's just a easier way for me to save money.
Oh hell no that's not dumb. I stay so broke all the time, I and my wife always have full withholdings taken out just so we can get it back. Plus, if for some reason we don't get it all back, we know we won't owe anything extra, and it's not like we ever got it to begin with so we aren't missing it! It's like finding that $20 bill when you do laundry!