What is ‘Gun Oil’ exactly?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What is ‘Gun Oil’ exactly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Default What is ‘Gun Oil’ exactly?

What is ‘Gun Oil’ exactly? Is it just mineral oil? Is 3-in-1 oil the same thing? Is it silicone? Nothing showed up on the FTF search.

(It made by pressing guns? Do people in Mediterranean countries stomp on guns in barrels to get it? Is it good for stir fry? Does it come in grades like ‘Extra Virgin?’ )

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Gun oil is mostly mineral oil. Check the MSDS sheets on gun oil and compare the ingredients.
Most gun oil has the same compounds; some more than others.
Some may have a little of this or that added, but they are mostly alike.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Gun oil is a oil used on guns.

They very in effectiveness from rem oil which is pretty useless for guns as it is very lightweight almost in the same category as sewing machine oil. To motor oil which does a fantastic job of lubricating a firearm.

Oil does a so-so job of preserving firearms. Its main purpose is lubricating moving parts to reduce heat buildup. So if your using remoil direct sunlight or even a warm room is usually enough heat to evaporate it completely. While motor oil will last through the heaviest abuse a full auto belt fed can dish out.

There are various grades of oils in between. A good middle of the road for light use is clp. I tend to stick with motor oil since its cheap and does a good job. Clp is a better carbon cleaner than lube as it has the ability to lift carbon deposits over time.

For my ccw guns i use a very very very light gun grease as grease doesnt seep into clothes

Anyway things marketed as "Gun Oil" are seldom good for oiling guns...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #4

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Gun oil is a oil used on guns.

They very in effectiveness from rem oil which is pretty useless for guns as it is very lightweight almost in the same category as sewing machine oil. To motor oil which does a fantastic job of lubricating a firearm.

Oil does a so-so job of preserving firearms. Its main purpose is lubricating moving parts to reduce heat buildup. So if your using remoil direct sunlight or even a warm room is usually enough heat to evaporate it completely. While motor oil will last through the heaviest abuse a full auto belt fed can dish out.

There are various grades of oils in between. A good middle of the road for light use is clp. I tend to stick with motor oil since its cheap and does a good job. Clp is a better carbon cleaner than lube as it has the ability to lift carbon deposits over time.

For my ccw guns i use a very very very light gun grease as grease doesnt seep into clothes

Anyway things marketed as "Gun Oil" are seldom good for oiling guns...
Jon are you on the Cane mixture? The 90% 10w30 and the 10% mystery oil or do you just use 30w?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 03-08-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Jon are you on the Cane mixture? The 90% 10w30 and the 10% mystery oil or do you just use 30w?
I use motor[engine] oil to keep rust at bay, and to lubricate. I use penetrating oil, (presently Marvel Mystery Oil,) to clean the bore of carbon.

Last edited by The_Kid; 03-08-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added, "and to lubricate"

Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I don't have anything to prove it, but I've suspected that most "gun oils" are merely labeled that so they can charge more for it. Some, like the Remoil, do seem to be a lighter weight oil & easily evaporate or migrate from where you put it.

The gun oils that do all things, like clean, lube & preserve don't get a vote of confidence IMHO. To me, a cleaner just cleans & you wipe it away along with all the dirt, etc that you want to get rid of. That's why, after using a "cleaner" I follow up with Brake Cleaner spray to get rid of all possible residue of the cleaner. Before I put any lube on my pistol, those areas are completely clean & dry.

I do consider Breakfree CLP as a good rust preventive & use it in the bore after I have cleaned it. Just prior to reassembly, I run a dry patch through the barrel to remove the excess. To date, even with the humidity of east Texas, no rust in my barrels, including a couple of shotguns which I haven't shot in years & have cleaned & relubed only a few times in the last 20 years.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5994 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
i just use motor oil. im too lazy to mix stuff up for the most part

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...