What gun to get for a beginner - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

What gun to get for a beginner

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

CZ75B

What gun to get for a beginner - General Handgun Discussion

or perhaps a CZ75B Compact

or a CZ P01

I find very nice for a beginner. Specially the CZ75B. A very tough and forgiving pistol.
And looks good aswell.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
if you are an inexperenced shooter by all means consider a double action revolver in 38-357. they are foolproof firearms.virtually impossible to jam or make malfuntion. not ammo specific. have a bad round of ammo? pull the trigger again. easy to learn to load and unload.easy to check if loaded.after teaching and attending many combat courses the only gun that has never failed? a double action revolver.and they are generally less expensive the semi autos. and if you cant cure the situation with 6 to 8 rounds why do you think 8 more will? learn to shoot better.
I really would like to get a Walther because my father had a PPK when I was a kid which I think he still has, so the Walther name is pretty special to me when I think about the little Walther ribbon on my fathers PPK. I remember a special day when I was 15(?) he let me shoot it once. I live in America, but I am also German which is a another kind of silly reason to like the brand.

But anyway, I know Walther does not make revolvers. But what you are saying about revolvers makes sense.

I am defiantly considering them now.

What brand would you say makes the best revolvers?

I also know the caliber sizes for revolvers are different, what are the some of the common sizes for them?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxexquis View Post
I really would like to get a Walther because my father had a PPK when I was a kid which I think he still has, so the Walther name is pretty special to me when I think about the little Walther ribbon on my fathers PPK. I remember a special day when I was 15(?) he let me shoot it once. I live in America, but I am also German which is a another kind of silly reason to like the brand.

But anyway, I know Walther does not make revolvers. But what you are saying about revolvers makes sense.

I am defiantly considering them now.

What brand would you say makes the best revolvers?

I also know the caliber sizes for revolvers are different, what are the some of the common sizes for them?
Smith & Wesson and Ruger generally make excellent modern revolvers. Some people lean towards one brand or the other, but I think both are quality guns. Look for one that fits your hands best.

As 30-30remchester suggested, 357 magnum might be a good choice. 357 has a good reputation as a self defense round. As an added benefit, you have the option of saving a bit of money on ammo by practicing with .38 cal. If you go that way be sure to shoot enough 357 so you are accurate with that round and know what to expect in an emergency.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Last edited by Cnynrat; 02-06-2009 at 08:31 PM.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Smith & Wesson and Ruger generally make excellent modern revolvers. Some people lean towards one brand or the other, but I think both are quality guns. Look for one that fits you hands best.

As 30-30remchester suggested, 357 magnum might be a good choice. 357 has a good reputation as a self defense round. As an added benefit, you have the option of saving a bit of money on ammo by practicing with .38 cal. If you go that way be sure to shoot enough 357 so you are accurate with that round and know what to expect in an emergency.
As I mentioned Walther is my favorite, and considering Walthers sold in America are made under S&W, I if I get a revolver, it will be a S&W.

Thanks
John

Last edited by laxexquis; 02-06-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

S&W makes fine revolvers, you won't regret getting one. I'd go for a model 686 with a 4" barrel in .357 magnum. As some members have already pointed out, you can fire .38 bullets at first (or if you prefer them for practice), and then slowly get used to .357's, which aren't that hard to handle in a full size revolver.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #26

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

as others have said the ammo thing with revolvers is a great bonus. auto are very brand and power specific. the 38-357 lets you do it all. on the low side a wadcutter is quiter than a 22 and virtually no recoil and utterly deadly on small game.then you can slowly work up to loads that can break an engine block or penatrate a 1000 lb carnavores skull (according to a longtime kodiac bear guide in alaska). and you can load both without any gun modifcations,you cant do that with an auto loader. from mild to wild all in one package.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default first gun

for what it's worth here is my 2cents worth. the walther made today by S&W are not of the same quality as the ones made prior to smith and wesson as a matter of fact i do believe smith and wesson has had more re-calls than any other gun company maybe because they make so many but i tend to think it's just poor workmanship . i wouldn't own a smith on a bet at least nothing made beyond 1990 . if you are dead set on getting one may i suggest the pk380 . yes it's made by s&w but i can not find any fault with this gun ( wifes gun) it cycles as easy and smooth as any gun i've ever handled perfect womens gun , you can chamber a round with little effort and it does seem to feed whatever she happens to put through it

Old 10-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #28

Liked 1961 Times on 1033 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

You do realize this thread is almost 4 years old....right???

You owe one birthday cake!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #29
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Oooo. This thread is really stinky.

Careful about digging up old, smelly threads.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
vincent Likes This 
Closed Thread