What gun to get for a beginner - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What gun to get for a beginner

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxexquis View Post

I will defiantly look in to the revolver. I am alittle confised with the whole double action thing.

I have a few question mainly about the sizes considering when it comes to guns, it's what I am most confused about.

When its measured in Millimeters, that tells you the diameter, correct?

Now when it's measured with the .380,.357 or .45, what is that a measurement of and what unit is it in?

Also, can a silencer be fitted to most guns, because I think I would prefer to have one?
Double action means that when you pull the trigger the cylinder rotates, the hammer is cocked and then released. Single action is when you cock the trigger (which also rotates the cylinder) with your thumb and then press the trigger. Double action is fast but takes more practice since the trigger pull is longer and harder; single action is more accurate an easier to master since the trigger pull is short and crisp. In self defense situations, 99% of the shots are going to be double action. That's why many revolvers designed for defensive use have hidden hammers (you can't fire them single action), which makes them easier to draw from a pocket.

Semi-auto pistols can also be double action (when you pull the trigger the hammer is cocked and finally released). Some are DA/SA (double action/single action, aka traditional double action), which means the first shot has a longer double action trigger pull, while the rest are fired single action. Some are single action (like 1911's), which are meant to be carried cocked with the safety on ("cocked and locked"), they have a short and crisp trigger pull on every shot. Some are double action only (DAO). Then you've got striker fired guns (like Glocks, Steyrs, S&W M&P's, etc.) which don't have an external hammer, the trigger pull is similar to DA, usually lighter.

I answered your caliber question in your other post.

About silencers, civilians don't need them on their defense guns. It takes a special license to get them and not all pistols can take one, but that's not the point.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #12

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 741512th View Post
If you like the Glock, you'll love the Springfield XD. Its "Glocky" but more so.
Now there's a testimonial!

It's Glockierer!

Is that like Perfectionierer?

Run Forest, he has a Glocky!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-04-2009, 01:58 AM   #13

I'm seriously considering the Walther PPK .380 ACP. I really like how you can either use SA or DA, I think that feature is good for a beginner like me. I will probably start out using the SA because it is easier to fire that way.

I am going to take a trip to my local gun shop/shooting range and check things out.

The only thing I don't like about the PPK is many people will think I am trying to be like James Bond, but I just like the gun and the German name, although it's made by S&W.

What do you think about the PPK?

Thanks
John

Last edited by laxexquis; 02-04-2009 at 02:33 AM.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you are wanting to keep the recoil down, I would suggest a 9mm in the 1911-style sidearm. You get the benefits of lower recoil and a top-notch sidearm design at once.

Here's a few possible choices that will not let you down:

ROCK ISLAND ARMORY 1911 (9x19MM)

COLT COMBAT COMMANDER (9x19MM)

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY E.M.P. (9x19MM)

Old 02-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Now there's a testimonial!

It's Glockierer!
Well, some firearms have a certain level of glockitude, whereas others are just downright glockalicious. Many weapons seem glockorious, but upon close examination it is obvious that the manufacturer is only engaging in glockanery.

Last edited by 741512th; 02-04-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxexquis View Post
I'm seriously considering the Walther PPK .380 ACP. I really like how you can either use SA or DA, I think that feature is good for a beginner like me. I will probably start out using the SA because it is easier to fire that way.

I am going to take a trip to my local gun shop/shooting range and check things out.

The only thing I don't like about the PPK is many people will think I am trying to be like James Bond, but I just like the gun and the German name, although it's made by S&W.

What do you think about the PPK?

Thanks
John

If this is going to be your only firearm for a while, I think the Walther PPK in .380 might not be the best choice.

It's a good quality handgun, and its size makes it very easy to conceal. However, recoil will be worse than in a full size pistol (there will also be less distance between the sights, etc.). Small pistols can be shot accurately (I'm a huge snubnose revolver fan), but it takes more practice and it's not all that pleasant with some ammo (hot self defense rounds, for example).

The PPK is a traditional DA, as far as I know, which means the first shot has to be fired double action, the rest in single action.

.380 is probably the bare minumum for self defense, and I wouldn't choose it for my main gun, unless deep concealment was one of my main concerns.

In my opinion, you should look for a full size (or even a compact, but not a subcompact or pocket pistol) 9mm semi-auto. Recoil from a .380 PPK is going to be similar if not greater than what you'll feel from a 9mm Colt Combat Commander. You'll also get a lot more rounds (most 9mm pistols have a 15 round capacity, give or take a couple of bullets), which will be more powerful than .380 bullets.

If single action is what you're looking for, look no further than the good old HP35. It's a Browning design (the same bloke who designed the 1911 platform, he knew a thing or two about single action pistols). It has a 13+1 capacity and it's a pleasure to shoot. You can see some pics of old and modern versions here: Modern Firearms - Handguns - Browning High Power

Old 02-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #17

get a .22 pistol, and learn with that.

Ruger 22/45™ Mark III™ *Rimfire Autoloading*Pistols

Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
If this is going to be your only firearm for a while, I think the Walther PPK in .380 might not be the best choice.

It's a good quality handgun, and its size makes it very easy to conceal. However, recoil will be worse than in a full size pistol (there will also be less distance between the sights, etc.). Small pistols can be shot accurately (I'm a huge snubnose revolver fan), but it takes more practice and it's not all that pleasant with some ammo (hot self defense rounds, for example).

The PPK is a traditional DA, as far as I know, which means the first shot has to be fired double action, the rest in single action.

.380 is probably the bare minumum for self defense, and I wouldn't choose it for my main gun, unless deep concealment was one of my main concerns.

In my opinion, you should look for a full size (or even a compact, but not a subcompact or pocket pistol) 9mm semi-auto. Recoil from a .380 PPK is going to be similar if not greater than what you'll feel from a 9mm Colt Combat Commander. You'll also get a lot more rounds (most 9mm pistols have a 15 round capacity, give or take a couple of bullets), which will be more powerful than .380 bullets.

If single action is what you're looking for, look no further than the good old HP35. It's a Browning design (the same bloke who designed the 1911 platform, he knew a thing or two about single action pistols). It has a 13+1 capacity and it's a pleasure to shoot. You can see some pics of old and modern versions here: Modern Firearms - Handguns - Browning High Power
Alright, thanks for your thoughts. I will think about it.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #19

If you are absolutely dead set on a Walther, then I suggest you look into some Walther's other product lines as they are a lot better than the PP series of pistols.

Here's just a couple of them you could look into:

Walther PPS (This series is available in both 9x19mm and .40 S&W with various magazine options depending on the user's preference.)

Walther P22 (This .22 LR series offers several platform preferences to choose from.)

Walther PK380 (A new pistol series in .380 ACP that will be made available in March '09, and offers similar options like the P22 series.)

Walther P99 (This pistol series comes in both 9x19mm and .40 S&W, comes in either a full size or compact version, has magazine capacity options, and three different trigger system models to choose from depending on the user's preference.

You can find more information about these pistols here:

Home Page - Walther America

http://www.carl-walther.info/dev2/index.php?company=walther&lang=EN&content=products

waltherforums.com

Last edited by TwoHandRevy; 02-05-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

if you are an inexperenced shooter by all means consider a double action revolver in 38-357. they are foolproof firearms.virtually impossible to jam or make malfuntion. not ammo specific. have a bad round of ammo? pull the trigger again. easy to learn to load and unload.easy to check if loaded.after teaching and attending many combat courses the only gun that has never failed? a double action revolver.and they are generally less expensive the semi autos. and if you cant cure the situation with 6 to 8 rounds why do you think 8 more will? learn to shoot better.

Closed Thread