What gun to get for a beginner
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What gun to get for a beginner

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What gun to get for a beginner

Hello,

I have been looking at handguns, mainly Glocks and want to get one for shooting at a range, safety and just to have a gun.

I have never owned or used a gun before.

I really want a Glock but their are so many models I don't know where to start.

Please recommend me a Glock model that would be good for this.

By the way I have no idea what caliber I want or really any idea of about calibers.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #2

First off, welcome to the site.

You're not too specific about what you want to use the handgun for. If by safety you mean personal defense, than many people would say 9mm is the smallest you should be thinking about. On the other hand some folks aren't happy with anything smaller than a .45. The most important factor is getting a gun that you can shoot well - bullets that miss the intended target have little affect.

My recommendation is you find a local range with a selection of guns for rent and go try some different brands and calibers. You need to find something that fits your hands well. Also, don't rule out a revolver as a personal defense weapon. They are simpler to operate, and you'll find some people who will tell you that with the adrenaline surging these might be the better choice than a semi-auto pistol.

I also recommend getting some basic training. Then you need to practice, practice, practice.

Dave

Old 02-02-2009, 01:36 AM   #3

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

WELCOME laxexquis, glad to have you aboard.

Great questions and there will be plenty of members here to help you find the gun that will be best for you.

I am (as many members you will come across on this forum are) very biased when it comes to brand and caliber.

There is only one I would recommend and it would be a Colt Commander LW chambered in .45 ACP. Now you are going to hear from all the tupperware guys why you need a glock, XD, MP yada, yada, yada....

If you want to skip all the rough road in between your first gun and where you will wind up if truly enlightened, just go out and get the 1911 now!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-02-2009, 02:05 AM   #4

Ok,

I will look in to Colt.

I'm also thinking about a Walther.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #5

Alright thanks for all your info.

The reason why I would have the gun is to keep in my house for protection against inruders. I don't think I would carry it around when I go out.

I would also just like to have a gun to use at a shooting range because I want to learn how to correctly use a gun.

Frankly the Colt 1911 is alittle to big and powerful me.

I would prefer something that has a fairly low recoil and is fairly compact. I would also want it to be fitted with a silencer.

Now when it comes to bullet size I really have no clue what would be proper for my situation. Considering I am a newb with this stuff I am very confused with the bullet sizes, because some are written in the form of ".380" and some are measured in "millimeters" and some have letters at the end of them and I have no clue what they mean.

Thanks

John

Last edited by laxexquis; 02-02-2009 at 03:39 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum, laxexquis! You'll find some very helpful folks here.

I've been shooting since I was a kid but I only started buying my own handguns and really getting into the whole pistol world in the past year or so, I was bewildered by the amount of options available (brands, platforms, calibers, etc). Don't try to learn everything at once.

Since you want a gun for home defense, it doesn't need to be particularly small or light. Light guns are nice to carry, heavier guns are usually more comfortable to shoot (less felt recoil). So you should be looking at full sized guns, if Glocks are what you like then try to find a range where you can rent a model 17. I'm not a Glock fan, but I admit they are good quality guns and not too hard on the pocket. My choice would be a CZ 75, it's a very good pistol which fits my hands better, its all steel construction gives it a nice heft and I find it more aesthetically appealing than other 9mm guns. Looks might not be important to some, but they are to me. If polymer guns are what you fancy, there are a lot of good ones out there as long as you buy one from a good brand (Ruger, Smith & Wesson, etc.) it should work well, and if it doesn't they'll stand behind their product.

Caliber-wise, I think you should try 9mm (9x19mm, 9mmLuger or 9mm Parabellum are other names for it). It's not the most powerfull round out there, but it will get the job done with proper ammo selection (a good hollow point, lots of options to choose from). Recoil is not an issue (especially with heavy service type pistols), ammo price is not too bad. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than that for home defense. The .380 caliber you mentioned earlier is basically a shorter 9mm, which is fine for a pocket pistol but you can do much better for a home defense gun.

You seem to be a little concerned about recoil, don't worry too much about it. It's something you get used to. Maybe after firing your 9mm for a while you'll want to give .45 a try, there's always time to get another gun.

I know you are asking about semi-autos, but don't overlook revolvers. While double action fire (shooting without cocking the hammer first) might be challenging to a beginner, it's not hard to master to a reasonable degree. It just takes some practice. They're easier to handle than a semi-auto, there's no way you can leave a round in the chamber or something like that. A .357 revolver with a 4" barrel (like a S&W 686) is a very good home defense weapon, if .357 magnum recoil is a bit too much for you at first, you can always use .38 special ammo in it (the recoil is basically the same as 9mm from a semi-auto). In my very humble opinion (I'm just a gun enthusiast, not a super operator or instructor) there's nothing like a good double action revolver to learn proper trigger technique.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if you want a glock go with the glock 19
is sub compact and it fits in the hand really well
and its in 9mm so ammo fairly cheap and a good caliber to start for a beginner

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 02-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Welcome to the forum, laxexquis! You'll find some very helpful folks here.

I've been shooting since I was a kid but I only started buying my own handguns and really getting into the whole pistol world in the past year or so, I was bewildered by the amount of options available (brands, platforms, calibers, etc). Don't try to learn everything at once.

Since you want a gun for home defense, it doesn't need to be particularly small or light. Light guns are nice to carry, heavier guns are usually more comfortable to shoot (less felt recoil). So you should be looking at full sized guns, if Glocks are what you like then try to find a range where you can rent a model 17. I'm not a Glock fan, but I admit they are good quality guns and not too hard on the pocket. My choice would be a CZ 75, it's a very good pistol which fits my hands better, its all steel construction gives it a nice heft and I find it more aesthetically appealing than other 9mm guns. Looks might not be important to some, but they are to me. If polymer guns are what you fancy, there are a lot of good ones out there as long as you buy one from a good brand (Ruger, Smith & Wesson, etc.) it should work well, and if it doesn't they'll stand behind their product.

Caliber-wise, I think you should try 9mm (9x19mm, 9mmLuger or 9mm Parabellum are other names for it). It's not the most powerfull round out there, but it will get the job done with proper ammo selection (a good hollow point, lots of options to choose from). Recoil is not an issue (especially with heavy service type pistols), ammo price is not too bad. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than that for home defense. The .380 caliber you mentioned earlier is basically a shorter 9mm, which is fine for a pocket pistol but you can do much better for a home defense gun.

You seem to be a little concerned about recoil, don't worry too much about it. It's something you get used to. Maybe after firing your 9mm for a while you'll want to give .45 a try, there's always time to get another gun.

I know you are asking about semi-autos, but don't overlook revolvers. While double action fire (shooting without cocking the hammer first) might be challenging to a beginner, it's not hard to master to a reasonable degree. It just takes some practice. They're easier to handle than a semi-auto, there's no way you can leave a round in the chamber or something like that. A .357 revolver with a 4" barrel (like a S&W 686) is a very good home defense weapon, if .357 magnum recoil is a bit too much for you at first, you can always use .38 special ammo in it (the recoil is basically the same as 9mm from a semi-auto). In my very humble opinion (I'm just a gun enthusiast, not a super operator or instructor) there's nothing like a good double action revolver to learn proper trigger technique.
Ok, thanks for all the info.

I also want a gun so I don't have to feel like a helpless civilian in bad situations. I also want to take lessons on ussing it properly. I imagine it's a nice feeling to know you are trained and can fight properly.

I will defiantly look in to the revolver. I am alittle confised with the whole double action thing.

I have a few question mainly about the sizes considering when it comes to guns, it's what I am most confused about.

When its measured in Millimeters, that tells you the diameter, correct?

Now when it's measured with the .380,.357 or .45, what is that a measurement of and what unit is it in?

Also, can a silencer be fitted to most guns, because I think I would prefer to have one?

Hah, I do have alittle experience with pellet CO2 pistols and airsoft guns, but other then that, I am ashamed.

Thanks for your help.

John

Last edited by laxexquis; 02-02-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you are looking for a semi auto with lower recoil, then I don`t think a Glock or other tupperware pistol will be the one.
I somethimes shoot the Glock 17 from a friend of mine and find the recoil is fairly high compaired to my CZ75.

Of yourse, you could start to tune the Glock to get lower recoil, but that also cost a bit of cash extra.

For the beginning, I would suggest a CZ75B or similar pistol in 9mm.
The cost of the pistol is o.k. and the qualitiy is very good. Also handling and recoil are very nice.

Have a look at them.
But in the end, I suggest, as Cnynrat suggested aswell, go to a shooting range with a good amount of different rental pistols and revolvers and give some of them a try.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you like the Glock, you'll love the Springfield XD. Its "Glocky" but more so.

Closed Thread