what gun and caliber - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

what gun and caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Is the .45 230 gr FMJ better than the 9mm 115 gr or 124 gr FMJ? I say absolutely yes! The .45 will leave a bigger hole and because of its mass will penetrate more deeply.
I agree on the 45 over the 9, but disagree on a 45 penetrating more deeply because of it's mass. The 9mm (true with the 40sw as well) has more speed and less mass/size, meaning less frictioned surface and as a result can pass through a body with a greater chance of not being impeded. A 45 being bigger has a better chance of hitting hard bone and the surface of the round slows it down very quickly. It is also a sub 1000fps bullet, where the 9 and 40 exceed that.
I have a 45 for BG's and a 9 for more range shooting (9's ost about 5-8 cents a round cheaper off the internet).

Tim

Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM   #12

Hey Speedy, I noticed you said you have big hands. I own a full size HK tactial USP and like it for two reasons. One I like the large grip and two I didn't have to get it threaded for my knight can. I've shot 150 rounds out of it and haven't had any problems. But there too much money! Have you tried a Glock? There great guns to learn with. Once you can shoot well with a Glock you can shoot any hand gun well.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3490 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelomadman View Post
Carry a premium DAO pistol (XD has the same bootstrap safety that the 1911 has) and not fiddle with the manual thumb safty. Either way, there is no subsitute for practice, practice, practice.
Actually Springfield is making a whole line of frame mounted, thumb safety model XD's. Rumor has it:

They are accurate too!

The shooter is Rob Leatham. You might have heard of him. He has won the USPSA Championship like 21 times.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #14

has anyone had any experience with the sig sauer P250 I mean I can start with a small caliber and move to a larger caliber since the barrels are interchangeable

Old 04-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #15

Sig isn't answering their phones right now. Their customer service is like HK's With the money you're goin put out for that gun and another barrel, you could buy two smith and wesson pistols and 9mm and .40. A guy in my local shop just paid 389.00 for a s&w two tone .40 new

Old 04-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3595 Times on 1847 Posts
Likes Given: 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog View Post
I agree on the 45 over the 9, but disagree on a 45 penetrating more deeply because of it's mass. The 9mm (true with the 40sw as well) has more speed and less mass/size, meaning less frictioned surface and as a result can pass through a body with a greater chance of not being impeded. A 45 being bigger has a better chance of hitting hard bone and the surface of the round slows it down very quickly. It is also a sub 1000fps bullet, where the 9 and 40 exceed that.
I have a 45 for BG's and a 9 for more range shooting (9's ost about 5-8 cents a round cheaper off the internet).

Tim
You kind of missed the point. Penetration is a product of mass and velocity. Velocity is lost very quickly in a body. An FMJ bullet will not lose mass (not much at least). The mass is more important than velocity (within reason). A .45 has a far better chance of preaking through bone than a 9. That is why really big game hunters use large, heavy, non-expanding bullets at relatively low velocity for tough thick skinned game like Cape Buffalo. You do not hear about African hunters using .300 Weatherby's with steel core bullets for rhinos.

Don't get me wrong. I have a 9mm and have no hesitation carrying it. Good bullets (Gold Dots) properly placed are very effective. I no longer carry my .45. It is a bit large for what I need and only holds 8+1. I feel more comfortable with 14+1 of .40. 9mm's have more failures to stop than any other LE sidearms (maybe .38spl is up there but that was before decent bullets were invented). FMJ's in a 9mm are notorious for punching small holes in people that do little damage. 9mm's (even in HP form) can and do ricochet off bone. .45's tend to punch through bone to the vitals underneath.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #17

Default 45acp or 9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Speedy, hit a search and I think you will find a lot of info on this.
Bottom line is shoot what you can shoot accurately and are confident with. Rent, borrow, ask to shoot as many different types that you are interested in.
Both calibers are excellent for their intended purposes. Personal preference (this is opinion only) is the .45 in a 1911 frame.
Good luck with your choice, and welcome to the forum.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listen to this guy !!!

My personal experience is that 40s snap and are sharper.
Forty fives seem to be more of a push. I have 6 45acp and one Sig 229 Dak in 40.

Forty is going down in popularity - where 45acp & 9mm are gaining again.
Nine because of the expansion and shock modern ammunition is giving.
Look on U-Tube and you will see plenty of expansion tests.

I use to test ammo for a living.
Ten mm and 40 would both penetrate a 55 gallon drum of water when shooting straight down into it from a ladder. Accuracy test from 25 yards using a RANSOM REST showed the 45 to be much more accurate.
So there is my 2 cents. Keep on researching ! Either one will do the job with proper bullet placement!

Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My preference is 40 over the 45.
My reasoning is that I have a Glock 22 and a Glock 19, and even though the G22 is a slightly larger handgun, it still handles and shoots almost identically to the G19.
I can take both to the range and burn through a couple hundred rounds of cheap 9mm in the 19 and then seamlessly switch over to the 40 and get the same results out of one 15 round magazine of 40's.
This may not be the case with other brands or models, but it is what I have observed with mine.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #19

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

IME, a lot of beginning shooters do well with

a 1911. 45ACP is a large caliber, but that

doesn't seem to matter.

Really, you should get a good 22LR pistol,

and do some training at the range, first.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4694 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy16 View Post
I am new to handguns and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me

I haven been looking every where and I have choose between .40S&W or a .45ACP i was wondering what everyone thinks about both calibers I have heard good things about both.

I have choosen a few guns if anyone could help with this also.
HK45, USP, USP Tactical, USP Expert, MK23

this would mostly be for home safety and maybe CC

thanks for the help
Whichever handgun you choose, go with a 9mm. It will cost less, and you want to practice a lot. Your road to accuracy will be shorter than with a 40+. If you want to have it the easiest way, start with a 22. Nothing inspires you like an early success.
therewolf Likes This