what gun and caliber
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > what gun and caliber

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lincoln,Nebraska
Posts: 5
Default what gun and caliber

I am new to handguns and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me

I haven been looking every where and I have choose between .40S&W or a .45ACP i was wondering what everyone thinks about both calibers I have heard good things about both.

I have choosen a few guns if anyone could help with this also.
HK45, USP, USP Tactical, USP Expert, MK23

this would mostly be for home safety and maybe CC

thanks for the help

__________________
speedy16 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 107
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I like the .40 S&W for several reasons, one being the 357 sig. The conversion barrels from the .40 to the 357 sig is available for the pistols I use. Those being the Sig Sauers. I looked into buying into the same conversion set ups with the HK and was told that HK does not offer conversion barrels to go from one caliber to the other. You might want to check on this yourself, in case things has changed since then.

Since I also like the .45 acp, I have pistols for that caliber as well, in the 1911s and the Sig Sauer P-220.

Choices are somewhat more reasonable when you're buying something like a dog. Since you're looking for a carry piece, you might look through the various manufactured pistols before making a final choice.

__________________
DoubleAction is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hillbilly68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,000
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Speedy, hit a search and I think you will find a lot of info on this.
Bottom line is shoot what you can shoot accurately and are confident with. Rent, borrow, ask to shoot as many different types that you are interested in.
Both calibers are excellent for their intended purposes. Personal preference (this is opinion only) is the .45 in a 1911 frame.
Good luck with your choice, and welcome to the forum.

__________________

________________________________________
"I'm your brother, just make it count."

hillbilly68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lincoln,Nebraska
Posts: 5
Default

I have been fascinated with guns since I got my rifle and well I feel more comfortable and steady holding a handgun compared to my rifle.

so if you have any other suggestions on handguns I am open to them.

I am not concearned with the price of ammo either and I am a big guy with big hands

__________________
speedy16 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,006
Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Default

I say " shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well". The .40 is a compromise between the capacity of the 9mm and the ballistics of a .45. On paper, all three are about the same. In the real world (actual shootings) they "seem" to be about the same. IMHO we should not look at best case scenario to best cae scenario (all three expand properly and penetrate properly), we should look at worst case scenario to worst case scenario (all three fail to expand). In other words, they become FMJ's. Which one is better? Is the .45 230 gr FMJ better than the 9mm 115 gr or 124 gr FMJ? I say absolutely yes! The .45 will leave a bigger hole and because of its mass will penetrate more deeply.

With all that said, I have to admit that the gun on my hip is a .40 loaded with 180 gr Gold Dot HP's. A compromise? Sure, but one I am willing to make right now. In uniform, I do not compromise. I carry a 10mm loaded with 180 gr Gold Dots loaded to 1300 fps. That is magnum power in a semi-auto pistol.

__________________
robocop10mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Samhain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 183
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I like my S&W M&P .40 compact.
Both the .40 & .45 cal are very good for home defence.
Like others have said shoot as many as you can, and pick the one that fits you best. Guns are like movies, you may think one is great, and I may not like anything about it.

__________________

________________________________
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” ~Frank Sinatra~

Samhain is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy16 View Post
I am new to handguns and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me

I haven been looking every where and I have choose between .40S&W or a .45ACP i was wondering what everyone thinks about both calibers I have heard good things about both.

I have choosen a few guns if anyone could help with this also.
HK45, USP, USP Tactical, USP Expert, MK23

this would mostly be for home safety and maybe CC

thanks for the help
I own an H&K USP Tactical in .45ACP - pictures in my gallery. I notice that several of your choices are of the H & K brand, so I feel I should caution you just a bit.

H & K has a mystique about them - they are in every video game, every movie and they know it. Their customer service is not the best and their service after the sale is lacking. Keep that in mind before you spend some hard earned cash.

Now, as for the weapon itself. My Tactical came rated to handle +P loads from H & K, which is something that a lot of manufacturers won't do without changes to their product like a recoil spring, and even then it will compromise your warranty. I have put about 2,000 rounds through it and never had any problems. It comes with adjustable sights, which I personally find useless on a pistol, I prefer fixed night sights. What good is adjusting for a wind variable that is only present on one day shooting? The pistol is big, almost too big and this is from a design that was "downsized" from the MK-23. I am over 6ft, wear XL gloves and even my hands are "too small" for this weapon to be handled properly in my opinion. To eject the magazine, I need to either use my off hand thumb, or rotate the weapon off target to press the latch that drops the magazine. While not a big deal, I feel that it's inconvenient and not the safest of actions to give up that firm handshake on the butt of the weapon just to replace mags. The trigger pull is good, with almost zero over travel right from the factory, but once again it's not a 1911, so it lacks in my opinion.

This is not a carry weapon, unless "carry" is on your hip, in a tactical thigh rig. The weapon weighs almost 2 pounds unloaded and that is a lot of weight to pack around all day on your hip or in a shoulder rig. Plus the profile is huge, so unless you are "working" in a ski town with a lot of heavy layers, or you are a member of the trench coat set, this will stick out like a sore thumb.

You can carry in position 1 with this weapon, which is a plus in my book. The frame mounted safety is one of two and is crisp with a positive "on" & "off".

As a home defense pistol, in a safebox next to the bed, it's a great piece of kit. 12 rounds of +P will put anyone in line for a dirt nap, plus it has in integral frame rail to put a SureFire X-200 to light up the night.

For a carry gun, I would recommend you look elsewhere. For a good home gun I would recommend a shotgun first, but this pistol has several pluses that make it cool to own and it always garners attention when I break it out at the range. Comes with ( 2 ) 12 round mags, several replacement rubber "O" rings for the barrel and a neat black, tactical nylon carrying case.

Best of luck in your shopping efforts.

D
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default

I used to own a few .40s but I have settled on two main calibers for my semis - 9mm and .45 - but this is just my preference. Between these 2 calibers I can find just about any platform I want from small concealable to full-size guns.

Nothing wrong with the .40, and if I only could own one handgun it would probably be a .40 as it's a good compromise. As far as platform goes, I have poly framed, 1911s, Sigs, etc. Here's one of my current favorites, a Rock Island Compact .45 - very reasonably priced (<$400) and a great shooter...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
matt g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,885
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I own an H&K USP Tactical in .45ACP - pictures in my gallery. I notice that several of your choices are of the H & K brand, so I feel I should caution you just a bit.

H & K has a mystique about them - they are in every video game, every movie and they know it. Their customer service is not the best and their service after the sale is lacking. Keep that in mind before you spend some hard earned cash.

Now, as for the weapon itself. My Tactical came rated to handle +P loads from H & K, which is something that a lot of manufacturers won't do without changes to their product like a recoil spring, and even then it will compromise your warranty. I have put about 2,000 rounds through it and never had any problems. It comes with adjustable sights, which I personally find useless on a pistol, I prefer fixed night sights. What good is adjusting for a wind variable that is only present on one day shooting? The pistol is big, almost too big and this is from a design that was "downsized" from the MK-23. I am over 6ft, wear XL gloves and even my hands are "too small" for this weapon to be handled properly in my opinion. To eject the magazine, I need to either use my off hand thumb, or rotate the weapon off target to press the latch that drops the magazine. While not a big deal, I feel that it's inconvenient and not the safest of actions to give up that firm handshake on the butt of the weapon just to replace mags. The trigger pull is good, with almost zero over travel right from the factory, but once again it's not a 1911, so it lacks in my opinion.

This is not a carry weapon, unless "carry" is on your hip, in a tactical thigh rig. The weapon weighs almost 2 pounds unloaded and that is a lot of weight to pack around all day on your hip or in a shoulder rig. Plus the profile is huge, so unless you are "working" in a ski town with a lot of heavy layers, or you are a member of the trench coat set, this will stick out like a sore thumb.

You can carry in position 1 with this weapon, which is a plus in my book. The frame mounted safety is one of two and is crisp with a positive "on" & "off".

As a home defense pistol, in a safebox next to the bed, it's a great piece of kit. 12 rounds of +P will put anyone in line for a dirt nap, plus it has in integral frame rail to put a SureFire X-200 to light up the night.

For a carry gun, I would recommend you look elsewhere. For a good home gun I would recommend a shotgun first, but this pistol has several pluses that make it cool to own and it always garners attention when I break it out at the range. Comes with ( 2 ) 12 round mags, several replacement rubber "O" rings for the barrel and a neat black, tactical nylon carrying case.

Best of luck in your shopping efforts.

D
Truer words were never spoken. The best decision that I ever made was to swap my USP for my Kimber.
__________________
matt g is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:57 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Speedy, hit a search and I think you will find a lot of info on this.
Bottom line is shoot what you can shoot accurately and are confident with. Rent, borrow, ask to shoot as many different types that you are interested in.
Both calibers are excellent for their intended purposes. Personal preference (this is opinion only) is the .45 in a 1911 frame.
Good luck with your choice, and welcome to the forum.
The 1911 is the all around best choice for the well trained, practiced shooter. But that said, those who are not well versed on the 1911 would be well advised to do one of the following things; (1) Go to an approved defensive shooting school (best choice), or (2) Carry a premium DAO pistol (XD has the same bootstrap safety that the 1911 has) and not fiddle with the manual thumb safty. Either way, there is no subsitute for practice, practice, practice.
__________________
Tupelomadman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
What caliber? laxexquis Revolver Handguns 26 12-15-2012 12:02 AM
recommend a .308/7.62 caliber lovetoshoot Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 24 01-01-2009 04:23 AM
AR caliber change dragunovsks AR-15 Discussion 13 11-12-2008 08:16 PM
Which Caliber ???? Ozzihunter General Rifle Discussion 8 08-31-2008 07:30 AM
Caliber Opinions jeepcreep927 Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 12 07-15-2008 06:56 PM