What is this gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What is this gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is this gun?

Hey everyone, I was wondering if some of the gun experts on this forum could help me out a bit

My uncle recently passed away, and so a friend and I were going through his (EXTREMELY messy) basement attempting to organize some of his old stuff, and stumbled upon this...

Now as you can see from the picture, the gun is cocked... My friend is a huge idiot and for some reason as soon as he picked it up, he cocked it. Don't ask me why, but we haven't touched it since he did that.

We know absolutely nothing about guns or anything (which is why we came to you!) and so I was wondering if it'd be worth keeping / selling. Also, is there a way to uncock it without shooting it off? It looks very old and so I'm worried that if we attempt to transport it anywhere while it's cocked, it might shoot or something.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!!

~Scott

Last edited by friedmannn; 07-05-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: picture

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #2

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

To uncock- hold back on the hammer and pull the trigger, then just ease the hammer home while pulling the trigger. The gun looks to be a European parlor/saloon pistol. Commonly called a Flobert(google Flobert). Value might be $100 to $250 depending on condition.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

Take the gun to a safe location, do not point it at a people. Keep your finger off the trigger. There is a little gate at the back of the barrel, that pivots around a screw on the right side. Swing that gate up and over to the right. You should be able to see the back end of the barrel, and see if there is a cartridge in there. If so, remove it. When empty, swing the gate closed again, hold hammer with your thumb, pull trigger, gently lower hammer.

Your pistol is likely a Flobert pistol, possibly Warnant pattern . These are NOT intended to fire full power ammunition- they used a cartridge with no powder- the primer alone drove the bullet. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SHOOT THIS. They were used for indoor target shooting. Yes, it will have some value- don't quit the day job, he did not hit the lottery, but they are more than a buck or two.

After weapon is safe, smack your friend soundly across back of head for being a dumbass.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Take the gun to a safe location, do not point it at a people. Keep your finger off the trigger. There is a little gate at the back of the barrel, that pivots around a screw on the right side. Swing that gate up and over to the right. You should be able to see the back end of the barrel, and see if there is a cartridge in there. If so, remove it. When empty, swing the gate closed again, hold hammer with your thumb, pull trigger, gently lower hammer.

Your pistol is likely a Flobert pistol, possibly Warnant pattern . These are NOT intended to fire full power ammunition- they used a cartridge with no powder- the primer alone drove the bullet. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SHOOT THIS. They were used for indoor target shooting. Yes, it will have some value- don't quit the day job, he did not hit the lottery, but they are more than a buck or two.

After weapon is safe, smack your friend soundly across back of head for being a dumbass.

Gibbs slap him.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
To uncock- hold back on the hammer and pull the trigger, then just ease the hammer home while pulling the trigger. The gun looks to be a European parlor/saloon pistol. Commonly called a Flobert(google Flobert). Value might be $100 to $250 depending on condition.
To clarify (I just want to be 100% safe), I hold back the hammer then pull the trigger while its held back, then ease the hammer forward into it's resting position while the trigger is still pulled completely, then just take my finger off the trigger. I'll be really careful doing this...

Do you think it'd be safe to transport while cocked? I'm asking this because I'd prefer not to do this in his basement (if it went off I don't want any bullet holes anywhere), and if I could transport it to an open field which is about a 10 minute drive away, that'd be perfect.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2862 Times on 1655 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Back yard, pointed to the ground (watch your feet), should be good enough.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #7

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

It is most likely not loaded. but just point it at a phone book (or any book) on the floor (barrel can be touching the book). It is a very weak cartridge.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Newest Threads