Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What is a good cheap for handguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is a good cheap for handguns

I bought a sentry with 5 digit code waterproof for 24hrs in 8 ft of water. Now people are telling me this is not good for guns. True or not? Can I get a dehumidifier for it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #2

Meant to say good cheap safe

Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20864 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyc525 View Post
Meant to say good cheap safe
now do you want cheap or inexpensive? there is a huge difference.
People Like This 
Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #4

Just pointers and opinions

Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20864 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyc525 View Post
Just pointers and opinions
sorry. i just saw where you were looking for info on safes. this is in the general handgun section, so i thought you were looking for info on pistols.

hang tight. someone else will be along shortly!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #6

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Have they told you why they're no good for guns? I bought a cheapo sentry for my guns. It's heavy enough nobody is going to walk away with it without another person or two.

I don't understand why anyone would build a gun safe to withstand water. Fire, sure, makes sense, but water? How very odd.

Mine stands about five feet tall and is 200lbs. Definitely would not call it water tight. Please do explain the purpose for this feature? Flood, perhaps, but dry the guns out and good to go no?

Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #7

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

I don't understand why anyone would build a gun safe to withstand water. Fire, sure, makes sense, but water? How very odd.
The only reason I can think of is because fires are put out with water. Not the same as submersion, but still a butt ton of water.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My understanding (and I Googled it to confirm)is that safes like the Sentry are primarily "fire safes" and work by using steam, from boiling liquid contained in the safe walls, to keep the inside of the safe at something less than 350 degrees. From what I've seen (I have a small Sentry safe too), the lock would not keep out a determined thief with a screwdriver. I don't even bother to lock it. It only contains papers I'd need after a fire and my passport.

I also have a small gun safe from GunVault (about $100) that is somewhat more secure and they'd have to take apart my bedroom to get any leverage to pry at it.

If the guns burn, the insurance will replace them. If a thief gets them, someone else might get hurt. Spend a few more bucks and get a decent gun safe and bolt it down where it can't be readily accessed to pry or hit, e.g. the back corner of the closet or under some immovable object.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #9

I just had a house fire and lost all my guns and pretty much everything else....HOWEVER I did have a small $20 Sentry safe that had my car titles, SS cards, etc inside. It didn't get burnt or even very hot where it was, BUT it did have some water in it from the fire hoses. They shot 18-23,000 gallons if water on my house over a 4 hour period. So just a thought about safes.....water and fire wise. I've decided to definitely invest in a good safe this time, one with plenty of room for guns and all that "crap, that doesn't even need to be in there!" As my wife told me prior to the fire. FYI: all that crap in that safe is all I have left an wish I coulda had a lot more room in it! Water can get into any thing....especially when it's being sprayed with that much pressure behind it. There was 4" of water in the floor of my wife's closet and no, it wasn't lower than any other part of the floor, no basement, etc...