What to get...?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What to get...?

View Poll Results: Which handgun to get?
Beretta 92 Series (M9, 92FS, 92A1) 11 50.00%
H&K USP9 fullsize 11 50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What to get...?

I'm in the market to buy another handgun. I'm looking for something practical for range shooting and maybe competition, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself of that one. It's going to be a 9mm, since the cost of ammo is a BIG factor (otherwise this issue wouldn't exist... 1911 would have been purchased ).

Right now, I've tried out a bunch of guns and while they're not the cheapest, they're not the most expensive. I've narrowed my choices down to a Beretta 92 series (M9, 92FS, or 92A1)and HK USP9 full size (if I can find one cheaper, maybe an Expert or Elite).

I've shot both handguns and to be honest, I love them both equally. The recoil isn't bad, both are large but that doesn't matter since I'm not carrying either of them, both are reliable and accurate. I guess it all comes down to "do I want a polymer or metal frame" and "how much do I want to spend".

Opinions? (There is a poll at the top too, BTW.)

Last edited by bravozero; 10-22-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I've owned both and while they are nice guns, they weren't "keepers" for me. I never like slide mounted safeties like on the Beretta and the H&K mag release never felt right to me. All my 9mm guns are currently Sigs, 226, 228, 239. In a full-size gun, it's hard to beat a Sig P226. Here's mine...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/nightstand-gun-33384/

Old 10-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #3

I shot both the P226 and P229, while they're nice I never got used to the trigger on it. That and it didn't feel right in my hand. I'm wierd, I know. I will get a Sig to add to my collection some day.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravozero View Post
It's going to be a 9mm, since the cost of ammo is a BIG factor (otherwise this issue wouldn't exist... 1911 would have been purchased ).
I haven't shot one, but there are 1911's chambered in 9mm. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=196802570 Just an example.

Regarding the polymer vs. steel framed question, i have an XD45 and a Cz75b; The think i like better about the XD is the caliber and the grip safety. I don't think there is any functional advantage on the steel framed (for my uses), but the CZ feels really nice and solid in my hand and would be better for the pistol-whipping.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-22-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I haven't shot one, but there are 1911's chambered in 9mm. Rock Island 1911-A1 FS Parkerized*9mm 5" 9 RD NIB : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com Just an example.
True, I've seen them before. I've even seen the Para Ordinance P18.9 used in Hitman... just not a fan of the idea. To me, buying a 1911 in anything but a .45 is like buying a Mustang in anything but a V8... doesn't work. I've been researching as to what 1911 to get, but that's for another time.

Back on topic...

Old 10-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I agree with you about the 1911, .45 or nothing.

Both guns you mentioned would be excellent choices.
Just as NGIB said, I'm not crazy about the slide mounted safety of the Beretta, or the mag release on the HK, but that's just me.
Out of the two, I prefer the feel of the Beretta, and I like steel frames much better than polymer.
My advice is to handle (ok fondle) the two, and shoot them both if possible.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post

Both guns you mentioned would be excellent choices.
Just as NGIB said, I'm not crazy about the slide mounted safety of the Beretta, or the mag release on the HK, but that's just me.
Out of the two, I prefer the feel of the Beretta, and I like steel frames much better than polymer.
My advice is to handle (ok fondle) the two, and shoot them both if possible.
The slide-safety on the Beretta won't matter since it's only going to be used at a range or whatever, I don't ever plan on carrying it. And I own a USPc and like the mag release, so that's not a big deal either. I may go this weekend to the local range and rent them again and shoot them. This time I'll focus more on what's comfortable, what feels more solid. Like I said, both guns feel equally as good to me.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #8

Anyone else?

Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #9

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
What about 10MM?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 10-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #10

You mentioned the 1911 but 45 ammo being too expensive. How about a 1911 in 38 Super ? There is a lot of target 38 Super ammo out there and it's about the same price as target 38 Special ammo. About the Sig P series pistols a good handful of folks say they don't feel right in the hand. They have the feel of a P-38 to me and I like them, I wish I had one ?
As far as a 9mm for shooting, between the two you have listed I'd go with the HK only because it can probably handle more rounds. If it was for carry purposes I go with the Beretta because I love the way they feel and look. If you want a quality 9mm that can handle many rounds how about a Browning Hi-Power or CZ-75 ? The Browning is the "King" of 9mm's and the CZ-75 is an excellent copy of the Hi-Power. You cannot go wrong with either of these fine pistols !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Last edited by FreedomFighter69; 10-23-2010 at 02:21 PM.