Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What to get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default What to get?

Soon I'll be moving out some of my safe queens (through Hydrashok's store) and this of course will put gun money in my pocket. I already have a nice collection, and every pistol I really need, but I wonder if I should go ahead and get something special.

I expect JD will pop in shortly and tell me to get a Nighthawk and TBH that's a great suggestion. Always wanted a Colt Python (Dad had one) and there are others that might be cool to have as well.

So folks, if you had say $2500 to spend, on a single gun, what would it be - and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A Python would be a great choice, a true classic. Do you like single action wheelguns? You can get a very nice premium grade model 83 from Freedom Arms for around $2000 and have some extra cash left for a nice belt and holster, or a scope (although I would stick with the iron sights).

FREEDOM ARMS INC

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

How about a BFR? BFR: Magnum Research

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, you can't go getting a Nighthawk. I am the only ranking member around here with a Nighthawk and I can't have you jumping on board the bandwagon and mucking that up.

Lately I have been coveting a S&W Model 629 Stealth Hunter from the Performance Center. It's really a nice looking revolver and I don't have a revolver.

However, if I were going to be looking at a Nighthawk 1911, I would be looking at adding The Enforcer to my lineup and I would be getting in touch with George from Michigan Gunslingers to get the best overall price.

JD

Old 09-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #5

Some spiffy recommendations guys. No, I'm not an SA revolver fan as they don't do much for me. I had a 629 and it was just to expensive to shoot as I don't reload. Getting a Nighthawk to be on the same dimensional plane as JD is tempting...

Old 09-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If it's a 1911 you're lusting after, a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special is a great one and you'd have plenty of dough left over for ammunition.

You may also want to consider a Dan Wesson 1911 as well. They are a sleeper, excellent quality and definitely a bargain.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

How about a Wilson Combat 1911. I use to machine the slides and frames where I worked before. TIGHT tolerances.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
If it's a 1911 you're lusting after, a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special is a great one and you'd have plenty of dough left over for ammunition.

You may also want to consider a Dan Wesson 1911 as well. They are a sleeper, excellent quality and definitely a bargain.
I had a Dan Wesson Pointman and it was indeed a very well built gun. Right now I'm seriously leaning towards a Springer Loaded long slide which is about $1K and then maybe use the rest of the money for ammo & accessories. I've asked Hydrashok to find me one of these as we certainly need to give him some business...

Last edited by NGIB; 09-28-2009 at 11:31 AM.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Now that's something that never occurred to me. Interesting thought.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Soon I'll be moving out some of my safe queens (through Hydrashok's store) and this of course will put gun money in my pocket. I already have a nice collection, and every pistol I really need, but I wonder if I should go ahead and get something special.

I expect JD will pop in shortly and tell me to get a Nighthawk and TBH that's a great suggestion. Always wanted a Colt Python (Dad had one) and there are others that might be cool to have as well.

So folks, if you had say $2500 to spend, on a single gun, what would it be - and why?
There's your answer. I have one and I love it.

OC

"magbum"