What do your wives (or significant others) carry? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What do your wives (or significant others) carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2730 Times on 1588 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

My wife spends most of her out of the house/away from me time in Delaware, she doen't include a pistol in her EDC yet, When she does, it will be an LC9 Hornady 115 gr. Critical Defense or a Ladysmith loaded with Hornady Custom 125 gr. XTP .38 spl rounds, she hasn't decided yet. Were waiting for our Utah CC permits which will give us reciprocity with DE.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #32
PGM
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 40 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

She started with a 3"ladysmith(her choice) then a taurus d.a. snubbie now i picked out a gun this time.+p and 15oz.

357swairweightside1.jpg   357swairweightside2.jpg  

Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

My wife carries a N.A.A. .22 mag mini revolver with fold over grip. In our vehicles she has access to any one of several larger caliber hand guns.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 390 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Nothing she doesn't even like me getting the firearms out in the house.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I'd ask her what about the KelTec she doesn't like. It may not be the round but the gun itself. Maybe she'd prefer a better trigger? Maybe a simple Hogue grip wrap would solve her issues with it. Perhaps the Beretta Tomcat 3032. Same round, much better trigger, metal frame...

Why does she not want the 9mm or a 380? Recoil issues? Is that why she doesn't like the 32 she has?

Maybe a larger gun is all she needs. A Bersa Thunder in 380 is a larger but still purse sized gun. Good for recoil consumption with more defensive power than current gun.

Or if she really wants to dumb down the round she can go with a 25 auto like the Beretta Jetfire 750BS. Great single action trigger with safety. Can be carried cocked/locked, uncocked, or half-cocked. This is my daily go to now simply because of ease of carry. It's no distance defender, but as a gut buster is hard to beat. One of the smallest guns there are & the smallest 1911-like gun there is.
I've refrained from adding anything to this point to get the widest variety of responses. (Including the "she carries me drunk, my credit card, etc lol)
I think after intently watching her shoot several rounds with the P32 that she's become discontent with the DA action the most. She also began recently griping about feeling some blowback in her face. I tried repeatedly to explain that that has always been there and remains unchanged, but I have the feeling she's already damned the little P32 for life. Of all the things I've put in her hands her favorite has been my Colt Trooper Mark III .357 6 inch shooting .38's. problem with that is, 1) it's way to big for her to carry 2) I'm not cutting her loose with a 98% old Colt worth $1000 that would get beaten and battered in her purse that she likely die while trying to pull from the deep dark recesses of that bottomless bag. I took her and fired several snub nose .38's, from the airlight's now on the shelf to the ladysmith, old colt and charter models, basically every style and weight revolver made. She didnt like any of them because they can't compensate the recoil like a 6". I have a stainless Beretta Bobcat .22 but my sister carries that and I don't think she would be find of relinquishing back to me.

She doesn't like the small .380's for reasons similar to me. I have a P3AT Keltec that is just not fun to shoot. I know it's a carry weapon far more than a shooter but I enjoy shooting and desire to increase my proficiency with my EDC weapons to the fullest extent. The P3AT is just not an everyday shooter and after a single magazine she said I hate that. She also gave failing marks to the S&W Bodyguard and the Kahr. At that point I just moved away from .380, though given the chance I'd like to see her try the Walther PK380 as I think the larger frame would give her a better understanding of the round and relation to frame size. We got the .32 as it had to her the least recoil in the smallest package after putting a few hundred rounds through a friends.
She also tried my Sig P938 and is less than thrilled with the recoil, and for some reason dislikes the factory Nightmare grips (which is no big deal as I make custom grips and have made several for my sig....I think she prefers a smooth grip)

The one gun I've seen but not handled that she likes the appearance of is that Elektra by STI. I don't think she'd like the .45 but the cost I find to be excessive for what it is. I wouldn't mind buying it if I could let her try 100 rounds or so to see if she liked it and it solved our current quandary though. Like this:
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4861697830158696&pid=15.1

We'll find something, it's just a matter of trial and effort and unfortunately we've depleted the rental cabinet where we are members (over 125 rentals there.....gives you an idea how long and drawn out this has become). Think I just need to find a friend or a friend of a friend who has something different she can test drive. Kinda what I was looking for in this thread, just more options perhaps I hadn't thought of.

I appreciate everyone's input thus far. Keep it coming!

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 05-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59
My wife also carries a PPK/S, though she occasionally carries a Glock 27.

My big question is, what doesn't she like about her .32? Answering that and letting her handle as many other guns as possible should put you on the right track.
I don't think it's the caliber in so much as the gun itself. She's fired no less than 50 different choices. We are still hunting the one

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1893 Times on 1113 Posts
Likes Given: 897

She settled on a Taurus Ultra-lite M85 with Crimson Trace Laser grips.
She tried several others and did not care for any of the semi-auto's. I agree with her choice. Novices should not use semi-autos, only 'well trained' people should use semi-autos!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My wife settled on the Walther PK380. she loved the easy to pull slide, and she is deadly within 25 feet

Old 05-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK7706
My wife settled on the Walther PK380. she loved the easy to pull slide, and she is deadly within 25 feet
I've wanted to take her to shoot a PK380 but there isn't one in the rental counter locally and I don't know anyone local who owns one.