Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   What do you feel is the most verstile handgun cartridge? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/what-do-you-feel-most-verstile-handgun-cartridge-17396/)

SGT-MILLER 08-27-2009 02:34 AM

What do you feel is the most verstile handgun cartridge?

Give supporting information when you vote.

By versatile, I would ask that you take the following into account:

- Stopping power

- Size

- Loadings (how many different loadings are offered)

- Brand support (how many firearms support this cartridge)

- Use in multiple situations (defense, hunting, etc...)

- Price

- Worldwide availability

No flaming or arguing opinion. Debate is fine, of course, but refrain from jumping on somebody because their opinion may be different than yours.

753X0 08-27-2009 02:55 AM

44 spec/44 Mag.
Since you're asking what I would choose for defense and hunting, I'd rather have too much gun, (if there is such a thing).
Companies offer loadings all the way from home defense all the way up to the big hardcast heavies for hunting.
The countries that have laws that will allow you to carry a handgun will also have this ammo.

gorknoids 08-27-2009 03:44 AM

Sure, the 9x19 isn't going to kill a bear, but I fell out of a plane into any major city on Earth with empty magazines, I could readily get them filled. You can carry obscene amounts of rounds compared to the larger stuff.

-Stopping power: My definition of stopping power is a shot through the front teeth into the medula oblongata. There is no handgun round which will knock a man backward, so true stopping power lies in accurate shot placement, rate of fire, and time to return to aimpoint. If the target is standing still, I'll go with a .500.
If he's chasing me around the kitchen with a frozen turkey, I want 9x19.

-Size: Hard to say. The Judge is not a large handgun, makes a big wound, but you don't have much capacity. You have to hope that your attacker only has 4 shots.

-Loadings: 147 gr +P JHP makes a fairly wide, very deep wound in gel. 17 of them make hamburger.

-Brand Support: Come on........

-Use in multiple situations: I used to advise our pilots that they would be best off carrying a .22 so that they could kill rabbits and pigeons and such, as they were definitely NOT going to fight their way out of Iraq, Serbia, Lybia, Somalia or Iran with a damned pistol. From a handgunular standpoint, I'd shoot a hog with a 9mm. Many, many times.:D For defense, I already CC with it, so I'll leave that for discussion.

-Price: Ammo is way overpriced, but wrt the other calibers aside from .22, it's dirt cheap. Reliable weapons can be had for approximately $300.00.

-Worldwide availability: Discussed above. 9x19 is like the Swine Flu. Everybody has it!

CA357 08-27-2009 03:54 AM

Good point about worldwide availability Gorknoids. I voted .38/.357. Lots of loadings and usefulness with either.
In retrospect, what 753X0 said make a great deal of sense, but I think there would be an even worse availability with the .44

753X0 08-27-2009 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorknoids (Post 151439)
From a handgunular standpoint, I'd shoot a hog with a 9mm. Many, many times.

And if I was with you, I'd have my best running shoes on. Remember, I don't have to outrun the hog, I just have to outrun you.:D

gorknoids 08-27-2009 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 753X0 (Post 151447)
And if I was with you, I'd have my best running shoes on. Remember, I don't have to outrun the hog, I just have to outrun you.:D

I didn't buy one, but a lot of my co-workers bought the "I Am A Bomb Technician. If you see me running, try to keep up"" t-shirts. :D
I know what you mean.

753X0 08-27-2009 04:05 AM

That joke is an old one, but a good one.:)

masterPsmith 08-27-2009 04:33 AM

I would have to go with the .38/.357. Unlimited loading possibilities from shot capsules up to heavy hunting loads, ammunition availability world wide, countless firearms available from revolvers, semi-autos, rifles and combination guns. Both calibers are user friendly and accurate. I have, through the years, used both calibers for just about anything you can think of. They get my vote............

Jim.....................................

spittinfire 08-27-2009 03:31 PM

I also have to go with the 38/357. Why? see above.

Caliche 08-27-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 151649)
I also have to go with the 38/357. Why? see above.

Yeah, that.:D