What do you consider the most underrated handgun design? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

What do you consider the most underrated handgun design?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

S&W SDVE 40 an 9mm. I don't necessarily think it is the most underrated but I think they are much better than they are given credit for....besides, everyone else already posted all the good choices .
kryptar19 Likes This 
Old 06-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4333 Times on 2931 Posts
Likes Given: 2167

Besides. OP says underrated design, not an individual handgun.

For an inderrated design I nominate the KelTec PMR-30. It is popular enough because of its mag capacity, but you have to appreciate how lightweight (fully loaded!) and flat it is. The clever hybrid blowback/breechlock design stands out by itself, and is ideal for the 22 Magnum caliber. It is really good engineering,at the time when it seems everything has been said and done.

Last edited by Mercator; 06-27-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1338 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 589

For semi-autos, I think the roller delayed blowback pistols HK P9 and HK P9S series were really quite good, given that they were largely constructed of stamped steel components. The triggers were really smooth, if a little long, and the accuracy was as good as any production pistol I've ever shot, including the CZ's. The only real issue with the design was the rubberized plastic recoil buffer. That said, the .45 ACP variants of the P9S had less recoil and smoother recoil than any other pistol I've shot chambered for the cartridge. The frame had virtually no snag points and appeared sculpted or melted like a the custom carry pistols.

As revolvers go, I really liked the concept behind the Medusa. Too bad they didn't go over better with the gun buying public. I'm sure a lot of us would have preferred to have a handgun that could fire whatever 9MM caliber cartridges we managed to get our hands on during the last ammunition shortage.
Trez Likes This 
Old 06-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #24

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
IMO, one of the most underrated firearms is the Interarms Firestar. A .40 Firestar has been by far my more frequent carry for almost 20 years. I bought it as a possible replacement for the Colt Officer's ACP that was my carry weapon at the time, and it far exceeded my expectations. I have found the Firestars to be utterly reliable and surprisingly accurate.

Although I have other handguns that would be just fine for cc, I've retained the Firestar as my usual carry weapon. Why change something that works?
Ditto. Together we have the trio because I've got the 9mm and 45. Been meaning to convert the 9 to 40.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:28 AM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Steyr M9A1 and M40A1. Look a little weird but the ergonomics are fantastic. The sight is very innovative.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:44 AM   #26

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Ditto. Together we have the trio because I've got the 9mm and 45. Been meaning to convert the 9 to 40.
I actually have two .40's -- liked my first one so well I got a backup for my backup. Wouldn't mind having the .45 -- I expect one day I'll be in the right mood and find one at the right price.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:58 AM   #27

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

As far as design goes,I would have to say the CZ P-07 Duty.This gun feels much more comfortable and fits my hands almost perfectly compared to many other handguns I have fired.Some complain about the slide being too short making it difficult to rack and frame bulge but I've had no issues with either.My one only gripe would be the magazines are pretty pricey.IWI Jerichos are badass too.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:51 AM   #28
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Any 357 revolver. Now for those who are familiar with firearms, we immediately recognize its value. But for those who are new to firearms or on the fringes or the general public; the 357 is overlooked as something antiquated. "It's a revolver, I don't want that, give me a Glock."

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #29

Liked 176 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Some really good choices so far.

Certainly the Star, Astra and their successor FireStar lines of Spanish pistols. These are often written off as cheap copies of more popular guns, but when you get into one it is quickly apparent that although externally similar to another design; internally they are something unique and superior. Couple the superior engineering with flawless fit and finish and these marks are arguably some of the finest out there -- and real bargains here in the U.S. for their undeserved reputations for 'soft steel' (huh?), and unreliability.

Perhaps my favorite of the Spanish pistols is the Model B. It's reputation for unreliability came from the tens of thousands of these captured from Germany by the Russians and the thousands subsequently imported. Russia's arsenal program at the time required all guns to be stripped down, inspected, refinished and reassembled, 'en masse'. They didn't consider the amount of hand fitting that went into each pistol and many of these have issues as a result.

An enterprising importer stamped thousands of Model B's coming out of Bulgaria with bogus Waffenampts and when word got out it further depressed the price collectors were willing to pay.

In fact, none of the tens of thousands of Model B's acquired by Germany during WW2 ever passed through the Heereswaffenamt (WaA) inspection process, partly as a military expedient, partly because of the German's understanding of the high standards of the Spanish Eibar proof house and internal quality controls. Only the first orders of Astra M300 and M600 will have WaA marks. Contrast this with other manufacturers like FN, Mauser and Walther whose entire production was passing through WaA right up to the end.

Here are two of my Model B Stars. The one on the right is a wartime 1943 production German contract (not a Russian Capture, but a German State police gun), and the other is a 1955 civilian commercial pistol. Although similar in appearance to a Colt 1911, other than the linked tip up barrel, internally these 9mms are quite different.

Last edited by trigger643; 06-28-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #30

Liked 923 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Medusa... (Big surpise! ) As far as I can tell, its the only "true" multi-caliber gun ever made. Other guns require you to change parts and still dont shoot as many calibers..

Mateba.. Why didnt anything really ever happen with the Autorevolver? I still kick my self for missing out on one. Money is alot easier to come by than a cheap Mateba...

Nambu.. It was the basis for one of the most popular .22's ever made, the Ruger Mk series...