What do you consider the most underrated handgun design?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What do you consider the most underrated handgun design?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 01:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 129 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default What do you consider the most underrated handgun design?

What do you consider the most underrated handgun design? And why? I'm not talking about the popular jobbers. I'm referring to the unsung, unfairly maligned, underpriced, super performing pieces.

Certainly for every P226, G17, M9, M1911, Luger, USP, HighPower, CZ75 and M29 there could quite possibly be one out there just as good, if not better, that didn't quite make it to the forefront of popular esteem for any number of reasons.

I've got some picks, but I would like to see what others may harbor as a favorite.

extra points for pictures of these misunderstood gems, double points if you own them...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2014, 01:47 AM   #2
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 895 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger643 View Post
What do you consider the most underrated handgun design? And why? I'm not talking about the popular jobbers. I'm referring to the unsung, unfairly maligned, underpriced, super performing pieces.

Certainly for every P226, G17, M9, M1911, Luger, USP, HighPower, CZ75 and M29 there could quite possibly be one out there just as good, if not better, that didn't quite make it to the forefront of popular esteem for any number of reasons.

I've got some picks, but I would like to see what others may harbor as a favorite.

extra points for pictures of these misunderstood gems, double points if you own them...
You're the new kid in town why don't you lead off?

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default What do you consider the most underrated handgun design?

I personally think the Colt DA revolvers never got their just due.........

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-27-2014, 02:26 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1342 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

The Hi-Point.....................

When all else fails.

Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 06-27-2014, 02:46 AM   #5

Liked 2027 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
The Hi-Point.....................
I second the Hi Point. It gets no respect. But I would rather own one than anything that says Taurus on it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:51 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Dan Wesson revolvers.

Marlin Camp Rifles in 9mm and 45 acp.

Hi-Point pistols.

MetroArms pistols.

STI pistols.

Rock Island Armory pistols.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:54 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2152 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 799

The JA-22 is highly underrated. Jimenez is their worst enemy. Instead of using quality springs that can be cut to the same length and work the same every time, they use automotive quality springs that have to be cut by trial and error. Most people don't have the inclination or patience to cut springs by trial and error.

There is a huge market for a gun like the JA 22. There are literally millions of mouse guns out there. Many people would like to have a mouse size 22 to practice with. Jimenez could raise the price of their guns by $10 to use scale quality recoil and firing pin springs. By doing so they eliminate come backs by 90%.

Jimenez guns have a wonderful design. They are striker fired and very easy to modify. If a high quality manufacturer used the same design with high quality materials the JA 22 would retail for around $400. The current design will fire thousands of rounds without issue.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2675 Times on 1860 Posts
Likes Given: 1359

Undervalued and underpriced? One stands out, the Russian Mosin 91/30. Even now, after the recent market adjustment, it is an amazing buy. I don't think there has been, or will be again, another fully operational 80-year old historically significant battle rifle in such astronomical quantities that you could buy it for a song.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Folks, question WAS handgun design.

I'll toss my hat in the ring- Dan Wesson revolvers. Have had a 15-2 since the late 1970s. Built like a tank. Polish and blue that reminds me of the old Colts. INCREDIBLY accurate- and generally half the price of a Colt Python. REALLY sweet triggers.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 06-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #10

Liked 2401 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 540

I was thinking the same thing, with regard to this being about handguns. I like the DW revolvers. In Autos the HK VP70 was quite innovative with its polymer frame (before Glock), 20 rd mag, gas system, ability to mount a stock, and operate in full auto. It was ahead of its time as a possible light PDW.