What do ya think about taurus? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > What do ya think about taurus?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The latest Taurus manufactured firearms are VASTLY superior compared to older 1s.
Once again, bear is right. A few years ago, Taurus upgraded it's mfg facility to using more and more CNC machines. If you do not know, CNC stands for 'computer numerically controlled'. Just like firearms, the make and model of the machine itself represents the ability of the machines. And, just like firearms, they all work for the most part. The better the arm or machine, the better the product. That being said, firearms do not require super precison machining (ala aerospace components), but they do require precision machining to allow for a better functioning product. The upgrade in machining ability of Taurus has led to a better product all around. A good friend and hunting buddy recently got a .40 24/7 Pro Long Slide. It is a well functioning weapon and accurate enough. Jmo.

Customer service still slacks with Taurus, unless you can speak Portugese.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #22

I work part time in the firearms department of a local sporting goods store and for a long time I was a fan of Taurus but their quality seemed to go in spurts. By this I mean one year we would have no returns and the next year 1 out of 5 would have to go back for repair. We sell between 200 and 300 Taurus per year on average with this last year above average. This last year has been one of those years we have sent more back for repair than ever and the Judge has been the worst. The owner has hinted of not carrying the line any more. I was told that Taurus was up to a 4-month backlog on repairs as of the 1st of July.

Like I said I was a fan and I have owned several revolvers with no problems. I have 2 friends that have 5000 rounds plus through their 9s with no issues and I know a guy that cant get a full mag through his and it is going back for the second time. With luck they will just replace it. It is your call but I feel there are currently better choices out there.

Have a good one!

Remember:
Plan for the worst, Hope for the best and if you land on your feet running life is good!!!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
I am looking to get a light weight compact revolver for a summer time ccw. I have been looking at the smith shrouded hammer air weight, the new ruger lcr or I saw a new model Taurus at cabela's last weekend for $329.

I have never been a real Taurus fan but just looking for some input from you guys good or bad..
I don't like Taurus, as a part-time gun dealer I have seen plenty of defective Taurus guns right out of the box. The factory repair folks treat me like a number, even though I sell their product. I stopped carrying them for six months, but people wanted to buy a gun with a lifetime warranty, even though it means little. I think for the money I'd throw in another $100 or so and get a Ruger SP101

Old 07-06-2009, 12:12 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

thanks all for the input!!! Its now between the ruger lcr and the s&w... I am really liking the feel of the ruger

Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #25

I've been REALLY pleased with my 24/7 PRO in .45 that I picked up in May. It's more accurate than I am at this point. The action is very smooth and the recoil feels lighter than allot of 9mm handguns I've shot.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #26

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Before you buy anything, try the Ruger LCR.

As a retired GM Design/Development engineer I carried a Colt 1911 Government "STEEL" 45 ACP up in the rust belt longer than you have been circling the earth! Then I moved to S. FL and found out that with the reduction of clothing requirements prohibited the use of my IWB Galco Royal Guard with my Colt O1070XSE.

Oh yea, ask anyone here what my position on tupperware is? (As the Devil Dogs say, "adapt & conquer!)

My motto was “Real men shower with their 1911s!” Canebrake has modified that to “Real men adapt to what makes them comfortable from a PD standpoint and fits under a Tommy Bahama signature camp shirt!”

Well that made me look at the 13.5 oz Ruger LCR in .38 Special +P.

I fell in lust with this little lady and haven’t looked back. After nearly 1K rounds down range and extensive practice of point shooting, (yea, point shooting for you non-believers!) this IS The South Florida carry piece!! It’s a gangstr’ killer (suprizer) and doesn’t pull your beltless shorts down when going commando in the heat! (I’m sure you know what I mean!)

Note: When carrying 110 gr Cor-Bon +P JHP’s this light-weight LCR talks to the operator when used in anger! I have a 460 Rowland 1911 Government that recoils less than this Ruger. I personally find it very similar in recoil to a S&W wheel gun chambered in 44 Rem Mag. This recoil experience is with +P JHP's and fired with one hand point shooting. When both hands are used, there is a significant reduction in recoil. If this +1 recoil factor is not a problem for you then you really need to look at this LCR for your go-to CCW piece.

The new Ruger patented "CAM ACTION" trigger design is unlike any other DA wheel gun I have ever shot. It alone is worth the price of admission!

I picked mine up a month ago for <$400, range ammo is cheap and the +P will do the PD assignment!

This gun will be a big hit! It has made a real believer of this old fart!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-06-2009, 02:34 AM   #27

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I would get a S&W first, then shortly after get the LCR (if it was legal in the country of MA). JMO.

But just in case you have another thought about Taurus, here's a discussion from a while ago.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #28
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1219 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I had a PT92 9mm for many years,it was a great gun. I sold all of my 44 Magnums after I bought my Raging Bull,to me it is the best shooting 44 revolver I have ever had.
On the other side of the coin the 24/7 OSS 45acp pistol I have is a disappointment,the trigger sucks,and I would really like to know just what gun the sights on my gun go on? It shoots 6 inches low with any weight ammo,and nobody in the aftermarket makes an adjustable rear sight for them yet. Oh,the sights on it are Novaks,not Heine.

Taurus makes some good guns and some bad guns,just like everyone else.Although their customer service is probably at the bottom of the list.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Taurus 85 ultralite is a good solid revolver. Never heard of anyone having problems with that particular model.CD

Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not much use for a Taurus.